1/3/22-1/10/22 QM2 NY to Southhampton is sailing!

Smitheroo

I got a notification yesterday that the QM2 will be sailing from NY to Southampton on 1/3/22. And my balance is due in Sept.  Detailed insurance instructions for UK citizens. So that sounds good!  I'm still not sure about European countries though- will they be open as usual. I   planned to run around Europe a bit after I docked but not sure that will happen. Gotta do it soon, not getting any younger

Edited by Smitheroo
  • Like 1

@Smitheroo, would you mind posting some of the wording of the notification you received indicating your sailing is going ahead? I'm curious about what assurances Cunard is providing given the on-going uncertainties about the resumption of cruising. Certainly the overall trends are looking good for the resumption of QM2 crossings by then. Just wondering what specifically Cunard is saying to assure you that your January 3, 2022 crossing is going to happen.

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

@Smitheroo, would you mind posting some of the wording of the notification you received indicating your sailing is going ahead? I'm curious about what assurances Cunard is providing given the on-going uncertainties about the resumption of cruising. Certainly the overall trends are looking good for the resumption of QM2 crossings by then. Just wondering what specifically Cunard is saying to assure you that your January 3, 2022 crossing is going to happen.

Hi Bluemarble,

Thank you for your ongoing monitoring of the Cunard Fleet....

Does it look like QM2 will resume in November and ongoing into 2022 as we have one later part of 2022...

They didnt exactly say it was going to happen but I assumed that is the plan when they said my  balance is due in Sept plus the instructions concerning Covid.  I notice they are not requiring that all passengers are vaccinated.  Would they send this information if they were still unsure?

** IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR HOLIDAY **
Please be aware of the following: We are unable to accept guests who test positive for COVID-19, are self-isolating within 14 days of travel, or
require supplementary oxygen (including via oxygen concentrator), mechanical ventilatory support (except for overnight CPAP for sleep
apnoea) and dialysis. We strongly recommend that you have comprehensive cruise specific travel insurance which includes medical cover of 2
million GBP minimum and cover for emergency evacuations and medical expenses for COVID-19. Cover should also include repatriation,
cancellation and curtailment and full cover for pre-existing medical conditions in the countries you are due to visit. Three days before sailing
you will need to complete an online Health Declaration at my.cunard.com. Once on board, everyone will need to adhere to the most up-to-date
protocols, please refer to www.cunard.com/sailing-with-confidence

Thanks @Smitheroo. I understand now. That's a standard type of email Cunard sends to communicate changes to an existing voyage. Of course in this case the main purpose of this communication appears to be to make sure you are aware of some changes to the policies related to COVID.

In my view, yes Cunard probably would send you this communication if they are still unsure about the sailing actually happening. It seems to me there still has to be some level of uncertainty at this point. But as I say, the trends have been looking better lately that QM2 crossings may actually resume in 2022 if not earlier with the first still scheduled Nov 14, 2021 crossing.

On 5/26/2021 at 3:13 PM, Smitheroo said:

They didnt exactly say it was going to happen but I assumed that is the plan when they said my  balance is due in Sept plus the instructions concerning Covid.  I notice they are not requiring that all passengers are vaccinated.  Would they send this information if they were still unsure?

** IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR HOLIDAY **
Please be aware of the following: We are unable to accept guests who test positive for COVID-19, are self-isolating within 14 days of travel, or
require supplementary oxygen (including via oxygen concentrator), mechanical ventilatory support (except for overnight CPAP for sleep
apnoea) and dialysis. We strongly recommend that you have comprehensive cruise specific travel insurance which includes medical cover of 2
million GBP minimum and cover for emergency evacuations and medical expenses for COVID-19. Cover should also include repatriation,
cancellation and curtailment and full cover for pre-existing medical conditions in the countries you are due to visit. Three days before sailing
you will need to complete an online Health Declaration at my.cunard.com. Once on board, everyone will need to adhere to the most up-to-date
protocols, please refer to www.cunard.com/sailing-with-confidence

Thanks for posting Cunard's new protocols and procedures.  For US departures, January 3, 2022 is the date of embarkation for the 118 day QM2 World Cruise

I just poked at the various web sites on travel restrictions to and from the US and UK.  It looks pretty grim still.   The US State Department is all up in arms about terrorism threats in the UK- really?  The weekly reports from my Mom's ten building, ~800+ person Senior Living complex continue to look good.  Unvaccinated staff and visitors continue to give and get COVID-19, everyone else seems pretty safe.     

We have been out to dinner on patios five times in the last weeks and feel comfortable.  I'm still wary about tightly packed indoor spaces.  

• 2 weeks later...

At this time this crossing is the only cruise/crossing being offered by Cunard on their American website; all other voyages have been removed. So for us booked on the crossing, it looks like a go!

2 minutes ago, Calliope said:

At this time this crossing is the only cruise/crossing being offered by Cunard on their American website; all other voyages have been removed. So for us booked on the crossing, it looks like a go!

For North  Americans. this cruise was the first segment of QM2s 2022 world cruise, which they cancelled today.

Wouldnt they still run the first segment of the World Cruise-  1/3/22 - 1/10/22?  Or would the loss of the World Cruise passengers make it unprofitable for them? Still plenty of time to fill the ship unless the people who sail in January are generally the World Cruisers?

2 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

Wouldnt they still run the first segment of the World Cruise-  1/3/22 - 1/10/22?  Or would the loss of the World Cruise passengers make it unprofitable for them? Still plenty of time to fill the ship unless the people who sail in January are generally the World Cruisers?

Cunard cancelled my Jan 3 to Mar  22 booking.  New QM2 itineraries will be offered instead. The Jan 3 TA sailing might fit into their new schedule. 

I just looked on their website and they describe a TA  on Jan 2, 2022 TO New york.  In another place on their website they still have the 1/3/22 FROM New York.

Jim 9310:  I understand they cancelled the World Cruise starting 1/3/22 from NY. But the first segment goes from NY to Southampton. Couldnt they still run that?  My thinking now is no, probably not because most of the passengers were probably World Cruisers who would no longer be on it. Also, if they are advertising one from England to NY on 1/2 they definitely cant have one from NY to England a day later.   I'm going to go ahead and cancel all my post voyage plans. Fortunately they are easily cancelled.  I'm not that disappointed because I half expected it.   Now the question is do I get my "reduced deposit" back. Someone posted somewhere else that Cunard said no. Its only $214 but since I am not the one cancelling I do think it should be refunded.

• Like 1

@Smitheroo, where specifically on the Cunard website are you seeing a description of a crossing to New York starting January 2, 2022?

The wording on the Cunard website is a bit confusing in that it does indeed state QM2's "planned 2022 World Voyage sailing from January 3 to April 24 is unfortunately now canceled." (emphasis mine). The 2022 QM2 world cruise starting January 10, 2022 from Southampton and ending April 24, 2022 in Southampton has indeed been cancelled. Naturally all segments of the world cruise that start in New York on January 3 and proceed beyond Southampton on January 10 have been canceled as well.

The Cunard website also states "Queen Mary 2’s published schedule of Transatlantic Crossings and Caribbean sailings on or after November 14, 2021 are to go ahead as planned." As of now, all QM2 voyages starting with the November 14, 2021 westbound crossing through the January 3, 2022 eastbound crossing are still on the schedule.

Assuming QM2's November and December 2021 schedule does proceed as planned (which is still an assumption at this point), the January 3, 2022 crossing would be needed to complete that 2021 schedule and position QM2 in Southampton for the voyages from Southampton that are being planned in place of the world voyage between January 10 and April 24, 2022.

Edited by bluemarble

1 hour ago, Jim9310 said:

Cunard cancelled my Jan 3 to Mar  22 booking.  New QM2 itineraries will be offered instead. The Jan 3 TA sailing might fit into their new schedule. 

If you accepted the offers you would basically spend 3 months onboard doing numerous b2b cruise between Soton/NYC and Caribbean with maybe a couple of European cities thrown in. Might be fun.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Smitheroo said:

So I'm wondering why it also refers to the TA TO New York on 1/2/22 on their website?

Help me out, please. Where specifically are you seeing the reference to a crossing to New York on January 2, 2022 on the Cunard website? I'm probably not looking in the right place, but I'm not seeing it.

9 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Help me out, please. Where specifically are you seeing the reference to a crossing to New York on January 2, 2022 on the Cunard website? I'm probably not looking in the right place, but I'm not seeing it.

Click on "Transatlantic" across the top of the website.  That takes you to a page that says Transatlantic with a view of city buildings. Scroll down until you see a page with 3 boxes.  The one on the left is for Eastbound Transatlantic. Click on that.

Sorry, do this:   click on transatlantic across the top of the website. That takes you to the picture with the buildings. Scroll down and you see 3 boxes with the Fall 2021 voyages. Right under those 3 boxes you see <1 of 3.  Click on the red arrow to the right of the 3 and that takes you to a page. On the left is the one about Eastbound transatlantic 

I just read the message about the latest cancellations that is across the top of the website.  It says that the QM World Cruise 1/3/22 to  4/24/22 is cancelled.  If the segment from 1/3 to 1/10, NYC to Southampton was still on, it would read the QM World Cruise 1/10/22 to 4/24/22.  

Apparently they have designed new voyages which will go on sale in July. 

I'm sure World Cruise passengers make up a large part of the passengers on the TA that leaves from NYC on 1/3/22.  Without them the voyage is probably not feasible.

8 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

Sorry, do this:   click on transatlantic across the top of the website. That takes you to the picture with the buildings. Scroll down and you see 3 boxes with the Fall 2021 voyages. Right under those 3 boxes you see <1 of 3.  Click on the red arrow to the right of the 3 and that takes you to a page. On the left is the one about Eastbound transatlantic 

Thanks for that. I see it now. There appear to be several problems with the listings on that "Transatlantic cruises" page. All the departure dates are off by one day and it appears at least one of the directions for the crossing is wrong as well. Wouldn't you know, the one direction that is wrong is for the crossing we are discussing here.

My take is that we can't rely on the details listed on that "Transatlantic cruises" page. Here are the crossings listed on that page.

7 day Transatlantic Nov 13, 2021 - direction not mentioned

7 day Transatlantic Dec 2, 2021 - from New York

7 day Transatlantic Dec 14, 2021 - to New York

7 day Transatlantic Jan 2, 2022 - to New York

7 day Transatlantic Apr 23, 2022 - to New York

14 day Transatlantic Apr 23, 2022 - to New York

7 day Transatlantic Apr 30, 2022 - from New York

14 day Transatlantic Apr 30, 2022 - from New York

7 day Transatlantic May 7, 2022 - to New York

Here are the actual dates and directions when you "View voyage" for each of those crossings.

7 day Transatlantic Nov 14, 2021 - to New York

7 day Transatlantic Dec 3, 2021 - from New York

7 day Transatlantic Dec 15, 2021 - to New York

7 day Transatlantic Jan 3, 2022 - from New York

7 day Transatlantic Apr 24, 2022 - to New York

14 day Transatlantic Apr 24, 2022 - to New York

7 day Transatlantic May 1, 2022 - from New York

14 day Transatlantic May 1, 2022 - from New York

7 day Transatlantic May 8, 2022 - to New York

3 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

I just read the message about the latest cancellations that is across the top of the website.  It says that the QM World Cruise 1/3/22 to  4/24/22 is cancelled.  If the segment from 1/3 to 1/10, NYC to Southampton was still on, it would read the QM World Cruise 1/10/22 to 4/24/22.  

Apparently they have designed new voyages which will go on sale in July. 

I'm sure World Cruise passengers make up a large part of the passengers on the TA that leaves from NYC on 1/3/22.  Without them the voyage is probably not feasible.

Yes, indeed Queen Mary 2’s 2022 World Voyage from January 3 to April 24 is canceled. All of the segments of the World Voyage starting in New York on January 3 and continuing on past Southampton are canceled.

That does not necessarily mean the January 3, 2022 crossing is canceled as well. In fact, they go on to state "Queen Mary 2’s published schedule of Transatlantic Crossings and Caribbean sailings on or after November 14, 2021 are to go ahead as planned."

Keep in mind the January 3, 2022 crossing is not just the first leg of the now-canceled QM2 2022 World Voyage. It is also the last leg of the QM2 2021 Christmas cruise for those starting in Southampton on December 15, 2021. That's what helps make the January 3, 2022 crossing feasible even without the World Voyage.

As long as the December 15, 2021 westbound crossing is still on QM2's schedule, then the January 3, 2021 eastbound crossing should be as well. If the QM2 Christmas cruise were to be canceled, then I would expect the January 3, 2022 crossing would be canceled at the same time.

I agree with you but since sending the directions how to find what I was referring to I read the travel advisory again which said that the QM  World Cruise 1/3/22 to 4/24/22 is cancelled. Initially I thought if the segment from NYC to Southampton was still on it would say that the World Cruise 1/10/22 to 4/24/22 is cancelled but now I'm thinking maybe not?  In any case they should have referred to those passengers leaving from NYC on 1/3/22 who are not on the World Cruise.    . I

I guess we'll know when these new cruises go on sale soon, in July.   Or I could call Cunard. I cancelled all my reservations I made for after the voyage except for the one in London so I can still do that if the voyage is on. Money isnt due until Sept.

BlueMarble:

I.m having trouble quoting and it insists on doing the entire message.    Your last message makes sense and I understand now.   Cunard should have been more clear!    I guess I will spend a few days in London after the voyage if it really does go.  Thanks!

8 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Yes, indeed Queen Mary 2’s 2022 World Voyage from January 3 to April 24 is canceled. All of the segments of the World Voyage starting in New York on January 3 and continuing on past Southampton are canceled.

That does not necessarily mean the January 3, 2022 crossing is canceled as well. In fact, they go on to state "Queen Mary 2’s published schedule of Transatlantic Crossings and Caribbean sailings on or after November 14, 2021 are to go ahead as planned."

Keep in mind the January 3, 2022 crossing is not just the first leg of the now-canceled QM2 2022 World Voyage. It is also the last leg of the QM2 2021 Christmas cruise for those starting in Southampton on December 15, 2021. That's what helps make the January 3, 2022 crossing feasible even without the World Voyage.

As long as the December 15, 2021 westbound crossing is still on QM2's schedule, then the January 3, 2021 eastbound crossing should be as well. If the QM2 Christmas cruise were to be canceled, then I would expect the January 3, 2022 crossing would be canceled at the same time.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

BlueMarble:

I.m having trouble quoting and it insists on doing the entire message.    Your last message makes sense and I understand now.   Cunard should have been more clear!    I guess I will spend a few days in London after the voyage if it really does go.  Thanks!

Glad I could help.

Just to fix a fairly obvious typo in my last reply, here is how the last paragraph should have read.

"As long as the December 15, 2021 westbound crossing is still on QM2's schedule, then the January 3, 2022 eastbound crossing should be as well. If the QM2 Christmas cruise were to be canceled, then I would expect the January 3, 2022 crossing would be canceled at the same time."