2022 Oceania Marina Med cruise

Izzy'sMoms

4 minutes ago, Izzy'sMoms said:

To those of you have have recently booked a cruise with a travel agent, was your OBC offering lower? I just booked an Oceania Suite with my travel agent and I was shocked at how low the OBC was 😕?

Which shipboard credit?

O Life SBC option? O Club SBC? TA added SBC? If added TA SBC, what percentage of the commissionable fare is it and how does that compare to past (percentage) added SBC from that TA?

TA added SBC, <2.5% of fare. Not sure how much commissionable fare is. Much lower than previous cruises at same and lower fares. I understand that all in travel industry are struggling. Just trying to see if this is the norm now.

1 minute ago, Izzy'sMoms said:

TA added SBC, <2.5% of fare. Not sure how much commissionable fare is. Much lower than previous cruises at same and lower fares. I understand that all in travel industry are struggling. Just trying to see if this is the norm now.

Commissionable fare varies on a number of factors always including, at least, port taxes which are different from place to place.

TA SBC can get complicated.

The TA addition may occasionally be gratuities which they may pay for or receive as O incentive funding or as a perk from a travel consortium to which they belong. So, if it’s “out-of-pocket,” that certainly can reduce what “commission sharing” they may be able to (or are willing to) do.

That said, in non-Covid times, a reasonable added TA refundable SBC (or rebate) might range from 5-10% of that commissionable fare.

So, my advice is to ask your TA to explain it.

If it’s someone you’ve used exclusively (or most often) for many cruises over several years, they may, at least, explain why it seems to you to be “lower.”

Flatbush Flyer, thank you for your very informative and helpful explanation. Yes, this is a TA that I have used exclusively and for multiple cruises, so unhappy with the offering and lack of explanation.

My guess is their commission rates dropped (as in, they did not book the requisite amount of cruises, so they dropped tiers) so they are unable to offer you what you received in the past - because they are not getting what they received in the past.  

Considering that many good TA's just threw in the towel and retired during the pandemic, I'm impressed you still have your old one.  So my advice would be to just ask the TA why rather than all of us speculating on an online forum.

• Like 3

I understand the that the travel industry has suffered tremendously over the last 18 months. I did ask my TA about the reduced offering and received no explanation. I am not asking for speculation from  this board - I only asked others to share their experiences with SBC offerings on recently booked cruises. 

Just now, Izzy'sMoms said:

I understand the that the travel industry has suffered tremendously over the last 18 months. I did ask my TA about the reduced offering and received no explanation. I am not asking for speculation from  this board - I only asked others to share their experiences with SBC offerings on recently booked cruises. 

Okay- recently added an early 2023 cruise and TA is providing what added rebate I expected based on past SBC.

A bit confused. My TA OBC doesn’t normally appear on my statement until I’m onboard. She may tell me what it will be in advance, but I can’t see it, or spend it, until aboard.

Multiple factors go into what that number will be.

9 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

A bit confused. My TA OBC doesn’t normally appear on my statement until I’m onboard. She may tell me what it will be in advance, but I can’t see it, or spend it, until aboard.

Same for us.

7 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Multiple factors go into what that number will be.

TA’s SBC that’s not from some “pass through” funds, will not appear on an O invoice . But, it should be on the separate TA invoice- a copy of which you should bring onboard should it not appear in your onboard accounting. O guest services is terrific about straightening out missing TA perks (though it does require their connecting with the home office in Miami). 

Not being as experienced as some on this board and really do not understand any of the above. I am just glad that maybe.....I can get on a freaking ship. That would not be a given at this time. 

• Like 1

Many of us don’t have separate TA invoices. We don’t bid every single cruise and go solely base on kickbacks ( rebates), then draw up an individual contract for that cruise spelling out the exact details of our Agreement. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, mexicobob said:

Not being as experienced as some on this board and really do not understand any of the above. I am just glad that maybe.....I can get on a freaking ship. That would not be a given at this time. 

Some agencies  give  rebate or larger OBC to client

some are complaining they are not getting as much this year as previous years

Does that help?