Using the Royal App

Currently scheduled on 8/29 and 9/5 voyages of Allure. I am hoping these come to pass.

While a lot of questions remain as yet unanswered, I am assuming (yes, I know) that the Royal App will be part of the experience.  I am still on the uphill side of the technology mountain and at my age it seems increasingly unlikely that I will do much more climbing.

So I look again to you knowledgeable folks on CC for help. I will be grateful for any input. Questions like: How does App affect registration and check-in ? How necessary is it to use it during the cruise? Do both my wife and I have to use it individually.  Can you get by without using it (not looking forward to carrying around our cell phones).

I vaguely remember some talk on this subject in the past, but searching for “App” yielded an unmanageable amount of information, so if someone can direct me to a good source of information I will be grateful. Otherwise any other response is welcome as always.

You can get by without using it.

It may speed up checking by a couple minutes but you can check in the old fashion way.

There are sometimes changes made to the compass that would show up in the app.  

No reason you would both need it.

Although you can use it to book your shows, it can be done without it.    

Hopefully, I'll be sailing on the August 15th Allure cruise and I have no intention of schlepping my phone around with me.  One of the reasons I like to cruise is to be able to get away from the phone, the computer, the internet.  From what I understand, while the Cruise Compass will not routinely be left in your room every night, printed copies are available at the Guest Relations area.   Good to know (thanks Blizzard54) I will be able to make show reservations without using the app.

We are on Adventure right now and are doing just fine without lugging phones around.  Even for check-in I presented paper copies of what is needed.  I don't want or care to spend my vacation looking down at a phone all day.

3 hours ago, Diamond Dandy said:

Can you get by without using it?

Yes. In the past you could even get by not checking in online before the cruise and show up whenever, but with an appointed time for check at the pier, you'll want to do that.

12 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Yes. In the past you could even get by not checking in online before the cruise and show up whenever, but with an appointed time for check at the pier, you'll want to do that.

Have to wonder how well those "appointed times" will work.  Documents have listed check in times for years, but has anyone ever paid attention to it?

7 minutes ago, Janet524 said:

Have to wonder how well those "appointed times" will work.  Documents have listed check in times for years, but has anyone ever paid attention to it?

RCI may try to enforce it a bit more than pre-COVID.

13 hours ago, gadaboutgal said:

We are on Adventure right now and are doing just fine without lugging phones around.  Even for check-in I presented paper copies of what is needed.  I don't want or care to spend my vacation looking down at a phone all day.

That's nice to know. How did the e-muster work?