drink costs on Oceania

Trudyrand

On 6/26/2021 at 1:37 AM, LHT28 said:

The Prepaid Gratuities  are for waitstaff & Housekeeping

Bar & spa  staff  are under a different program

No need to worry  it is added automatically  😉

Oceania is not a non tipping area 😃  ...you have heard the saying

"When in Rome"

Ah that makes sense - nothing against tipping at all it's just very confusing when you are not used to it!! 

• Haha 1

People have mentioned the Captain’s drinks party. Is this always on a particular night on a seven night cruise? We are contemplating the drinks package upgrade but might postpone if the Captain’ ‘do’ is on, say, the second night out… . And I’ve heard the happy hour is a bit of a scrum, which doesn’t appeal - views from Oceania old-timers? This is our first O cruise.

I would guess the Welcome Party in Horizon’s is night 2 and even if you do not attend, drinks should be Free in the other bars like Martini’s. While it is a bit busy, you will have no trouble getting multiple rounds of drinks and appetizers as the staff is “everywhere” with the trays.  
I still expect the O Club Ambassador to host a party for past guests up in Horizon’s. We often invite newbies to join us to see what they will be invited to on their next cruise.  No one checks invitations anyway.OK, that is two nights down. The main Happy Hour begins at 5:00 until 6:00 with last call about 6:00 so those extra 2 for 1’s can be ordered and consumed in that bar or carried out to a dinner venue. There is another HH at 10:30.  The Grand and Martini’s bars are smaller so it is a bit of a scrum but Horizon’s is much bigger and there are more cocktail servers floating around. Music is everywhere including the String Quartet.  
Like most all on this post, we have had NUMEROUS O cruises cancelled so one of the best things you can do is queue up and spend some time with the Oceania Club Ambassador and book a future cruise. Be it one you are really interested in or just one which is a couple years out for a place holder, because you can do one trip swap and retain the benefits from the On Board Booking. $250 Deposits, On Board Booking Discounts and Free Ship Board Credit (SBC) for the cruise you are on.  It would not be uncommon to see people booking multiple future cruises so the Ambassador(s) will be quite busy. Absolutely wonderful people and very helpful. 

This is a great blog so feel free to ask any questions and I am sure you will hear from the O cruise veterans quite quickly.  Welcome to the Oceania family. 
Bonnie and Gerry

1 hour ago, claranda said:

People have mentioned the Captain’s drinks party. Is this always on a particular night on a seven night cruise? We are contemplating the drinks package upgrade but might postpone if the Captain’ ‘do’ is on, say, the second night out… . And I’ve heard the happy hour is a bit of a scrum, which doesn’t appeal - views from Oceania old-timers? This is our first O cruise.

Usually the Welcome party is  the 2nd night   sometimes the 3rd night depending on the itinerary

Talk about  a scrum LOL

Never had a scrum for HH  they have HH in a couple of bars    but it in like the drinks are free  like the Captains party 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mauibabes said:

I still expect the O Club Ambassador to host a party for past guests up in Horizon’s. We often invite newbies to join us to see what they will be invited to on their next cruise.  No one checks invitations anyway.OK, that is two nights down.

AHH  so it is people like you that  we have a hard time getting  a seat at the repeaters party 🤔

I think  with the number of  repeat guests   they should be checking invites

JMO

• Like 1

Or hosting two parties like they most often do on the O ships since about 60% of the guests are repeaters and invited to party.  
I am guilty of this sin, mea culpa.  When we have a newbie joining our merry group of traveling friends, we can not leave them out of the festivities. When I have asked The O Ambassador if I can bring them, they always say bring them along.  Repeat guests and good will are invaluable. 🙏🚢🍷🍹🍸💰

love my O family!

gerry

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mauibabes said:

Or hosting two parties like they most often do on the O ships since about 60% of the guests are repeaters and invited to party.  

Our last O cruise they had to do 3  repeaters parties   due to the number repeat  cruisers

i think it was 70 or 75%

Most times it is well over 60%

LHT, 

Any chance that last Oceania cruise was on Riviera somewhere between Southampton and Reykjavik and NYC in late August/September 2019? 
I recall we had three parties on the Reykjavik to NYC trip as Bonnie and I were recipients of our Platinum pins at the first party.  The parties are so much fun and Jennifer Faust is a fantastic O Club Ambassador/Mistress of Ceremonies. 

Agree, 60% is pretty much a minimum amount of past guests on Oceania. Love O!

9 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

LHT, 

Any chance that last Oceania cruise was on Riviera somewhere between Southampton and Reykjavik and NYC in late August/September 2019? 
I recall we had three parties on the Reykjavik to NYC trip as Bonnie and I were recipients of our Platinum pins at the first party.  The parties are so much fun and Jennifer Faust is a fantastic O Club Ambassador/Mistress of Ceremonies. 

No 

but several sailings  now have 2-3  parties

Many people getting more Loyalty  pins   some people with over  100 cruises 

I agree about  Jennifer   she was one of the first O Ambassadors  I believe

We met her  on our 1st O cruise back in 2004

11 hours ago, mauibabes said:

LHT, 

So we didn’t get our platinum pins on our 20th. We got them on our 21st. I don’t really pay much attention to names of the ambassadors but the lady said that’s they way they do it. I do remember I didn’t care much for her. Do you remember her name Lyn?  It would seem to me they would want to recognize people that have achieved their free cruise as an incentive for others at the party. The ambassador on our 21st rolled her eyes when we told her the way it was handled. She said that wasn’t the way she did it. 

6 minutes ago, ORV said:

So we didn’t get our platinum pins on our 20th. We got them on our 21st. I don’t really pay much attention to names of the ambassadors but the lady said that’s they way they do it. I do remember I didn’t care much for her. Do you remember her name Lyn?  It would seem to me they would want to recognize people that have achieved their free cruise as an incentive for others at the party. The ambassador on our 21st rolled her eyes when we told her the way it was handled. She said that wasn’t the way she did it. 

I did not pay any attention  but it was not Jennifer   I know that much  LOL

Yes you would think  you would have gotten it  then 

• 3 weeks later...

Jane, we recommend Total Wine and More. Huge selection, lower prices. There are 6-7 TW stores in Miami, none really near the port. So coming in the day before we selected a hotel near a TW store. Stayed at the Urbanica Meridian in Miami Beach. (OK hotel.) The next morning walked 6-7 blocks with empty backpacks to TW store in a shopping mall at Fifth and Alton. Stocked up. Wraped hand towels from the hotel around some of the bottles and loaded our now much heavier backpacks. Called the hotel and, prearranged, they sent a driver to take us back to the hotel. Gave the driver a good tip, which I mention because sometimes our UK friends forget that part of americana. Repacked our TW purchases into our luggage (leaving the hotel's towels), checked out and took a taxi to the port. All rather painless. Bon voyage.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, LakeSideKen said:

Jane, we recommend Total Wine and More. Huge selection, lower prices. There are 6-7 TW stores in Miami, none really near the port. So coming in the day before we selected a hotel near a TW store. Stayed at the Urbanica Meridian in Miami Beach. (OK hotel.) The next morning walked 6-7 blocks with empty backpacks to TW store in a shopping mall at Fifth and Alton. Stocked up. Wraped hand towels from the hotel around some of the bottles and loaded our now much heavier backpacks. Called the hotel and, prearranged, they sent a driver to take us back to the hotel. Gave the driver a good tip, which I mention because sometimes our UK friends forget that part of americana. Repacked our TW purchases into our luggage (leaving the hotel's towels), checked out and took a taxi to the port. All rather painless. Bon voyage.

Ken, this is brilliant strategy.  Your post and Jane's in Cambridge need it's own thread.

Deb

7 hours ago, LakeSideKen said:

You can also pre-order your wine/liquor from Total Wine and they will have it all boxed up when you arrive.  We arrive the day before, have taxi taking us from airport to hotel stop at Total WIne, pick up our packed and sealed case back in taxi to hotel.  Embarkation morning slapped a pre printed lable with name, cabin number, etc. on box, took cab to pier and handed wine box with other luggage to porters at pier.  The case of wine was the first item delivered to the cabin!!  Have done this several times!