LIVE from "Iceland's Natural Beauty" -- All Sailings, 2021

Peregrina651

1 hour ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

I would guess that eating is a little riskier than doing most other things I can think of, unless you're eating in your room of course!  It's why restaurants in some places (countries, counties, localities, states) ask for contact info in case tracing is necessary. 

If someone is currently on Viking Sky, could you let me know?  I have a question. Thanks. 

On the Sky. We were unable to go to Djupivogur due to rough seas. However, it’s mostly sunny with smooth sailing now. 

1 hour ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

I would guess that eating is a little riskier than doing most other things I can think of, unless you're eating in your room of course!  It's why restaurants in some places (countries, counties, localities, states) ask for contact info in case tracing is necessary. 

If someone is currently on Viking Sky, could you let me know?  I have a question. Thanks. 

I was on the July 20 Jupiter cruise.  The questions about where a person was eating, etc. may be part of the new Icelandic protocol.  From the time we arrived in Iceland on July 18 until our departure on July 28 Iceland had ramped up their Covid protocols, in particular contact tracing and masking in indoor public spaces.  After our cruise, when eating in a restaurant or arriving at our hotel we had to provide contact information including phone numbers and wear masks.  Neither of these practices were required the few days we were in Reykjavik before our cruise.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Not that we ever left the room without ours, but what makes you think that the key card scanning would show whether you had your scanner with you?  Additionally, we kept our key cards, scanner and mask in the “makeup” part of the desk so unless our room steward was rummaging in it, they wouldn’t know whether it was in the room or not. 

Agree with your comments, Clay.  I think it is on the honor system.

• Like 1

With regard to the question about compliance with mask wearing on excursions, our experience on our July 13 Jupiter cruise was that the vast majority of fellow passengers did comply but on each excursion there was always a couple who didn't, usually men. On two occasions I did remind the person sitting across the bus aisle from me to put on his mask. He did but I noticed that later it slid back down to his chin. I can remember a few excursions where Viking staff were present and they chose not to confront those without masks. I think there's a difference between wearing your mask on the bus and wearing when outside and easily socially distanced. I don't see a problem with a polite reminder to someone sitting near you on a bus or boat. No one likes to come off as a scold but then no one wants to be in quarantine either.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

That is correct. The tracers are not GPS devices. They ping and record other contract tracers when two are in proximity to each other.  

Also I read in the Privacy Policy that Viking does nothing with the info transmitted until someone tests positive.  Then they look for close contacts.  So it is not a surveillance device to track your every movement.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, anaco_angler said:

Hi. Totally different topic but you mentioned that you were on Jupiter so I have a question specific to that ship. I don’t know what cabin class you were in but do you know if the deluxe veranda and the penthouse veranda cabins have a set of drawers inside of the closet? My travel partner is asking and we weren’t able to find that information on any Jupiter DV or PV cabin review anywhere. I believe some of the newer ships have closet drawers but the older ships do not. Thank you.

16 minutes ago, patchicago said:

Hi. Totally different topic but you mentioned that you were on Jupiter so I have a question specific to that ship. I don’t know what cabin class you were in but do you know if the deluxe veranda and the penthouse veranda cabins have a set of drawers inside of the closet? 

Our penthouse veranda had a set of drawers inside the closet. The top was just about even with my waist. There was a rod for shorter garments above.

• Thanks 1

To join in on the mask discussion, most people on the buses wore masks.  On occasion someone forgot to put it on when returning from the outdoors walkabout where one did not have to wear it - even me.  A polite reminder by a fellow passenger or DH put the mask back on.

I was surprised how full the buses were on our July 17 cruise.  Two- 3 rows in front were blocked off between driver and guide and passengers.  Maybe 4 other seats were not filled usually toward the back.

The tender had seats blocked off and instead of 5 on each bench seat, there were 5 people in each bench row.  The benches face each other in each row and you are knee to knee - still close.

In the Chefs Table seating was nicely spaced.  Did not manage a Manfredis reservation.

The two person tables were way too close for our liking at The Restaurant.  We had a window table twice which was fine.  Another time we were sandwiched between two other two person tables.  Did not like it.

We did not go to the World Cafe seafood night because we knew it would be crowded from experience.  However on other nights if the Restaurant was too crowded we went to the World Cafe and it was really empty.

We found all the bars seating to be relatively well spaced out except the Living Room Bar area.  However in the LR, one can sit in any of the numerous seating arrangements and get sofa service. 

So other then being on the bus or tender you can find a spot to eat or drink on the ship according to your comfort level  without having to sit in your room.

Viking staff throughout the ship does not remind you to wear your mask.  My DH was constantly back tracking down the hall to get the mask he forgot.  I even hung a bag of them on a magnet hook right by the door.  Once he made it all the way to the WC before realizing he forgot it.  He gestured with his hand over his mouth to the door staff and they gave him one on the spot.  AND we are believers in mask wearing.  PR still has a mask mandate so we are used to it lol.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lily Feghoot said:

Our penthouse veranda had a set of drawers inside the closet. The top was just about even with my waist. There was a rod for shorter garments above.

The Star, Sky and Sea do not have drawers in closet.  I bring a three-slot hanging shelf.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Lily Feghoot said:

Thank you!! We are 2 women traveling together and planning on overpacking. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Lily Feghoot said:

DV has drawers inside closet. Everything is very tight.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Not that we ever left the room without ours, but what makes you think that the key card scanning would show whether you had your scanner with you?  Additionally, we kept our key cards, scanner and mask in the “makeup” part of the desk so unless our room steward was rummaging in it, they wouldn’t know whether it was in the room or not. 

My husband lost his tracker and Viking didn't seem to know or care. He went on excursions without it. When I asked for a replacement, they said there would be a charge if you don't find it. So we found it LOL.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Hopefully people on excursions where small boats are used  (Vigur Island, for example) will be space out as best as possible,  and wearing their masks. And a question: on Viking tender boats, for people who need or want to be extra cautious, do the boats have an upper deck if people want to sit up there?  In Iceland, it may be a little chilly there early morning, and/or Viking may not want people up there without a crew member around to keep a watchful eye.  But if there's seating up top, is that an option for some of us who either want to space out more or just like looking at the scenery (and taking pictures of the ship)?!  

No seating up top. Everyone is crowded together, but it's sort of outside, so maybe safer??

43 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

To join in on the mask discussion, most people on the buses wore masks.  On occasion someone forgot to put it on when returning from the outdoors walkabout where one did not have to wear it - even me.  A polite reminder by a fellow passenger or DH put the mask back on.

I was surprised how full the buses were on our July 17 cruise.  Two- 3 rows in front were blocked off between driver and guide and passengers.  Maybe 4 other seats were not filled usually toward the back.

The tender had seats blocked off and instead of 5 on each bench seat, there were 5 people in each bench row.  The benches face each other in each row and you are knee to knee - still close.

In the Chefs Table seating was nicely spaced.  Did not manage a Manfredis reservation.

The two person tables were way too close for our liking at The Restaurant.  We had a window table twice which was fine.  Another time we were sandwiched between two other two person tables.  Did not like it.

We did not go to the World Cafe seafood night because we knew it would be crowded from experience.  However on other nights if the Restaurant was too crowded we went to the World Cafe and it was really empty.

We found all the bars seating to be relatively well spaced out except the Living Room Bar area.  However in the LR, one can sit in any of the numerous seating arrangements and get sofa service. 

So other then being on the bus or tender you can find a spot to eat or drink on the ship according to your comfort level  without having to sit in your room.

Viking staff throughout the ship does not remind you to wear your mask.  My DH was constantly back tracking down the hall to get the mask he forgot.  I even hung a bag of them on a magnet hook right by the door.  Once he made it all the way to the WC before realizing he forgot it.  He gestured with his hand over his mouth to the door staff and they gave him one on the spot.  AND we are believers in mask wearing.  PR still has a mask mandate so we are used to it lol.

Suggest that he loop it around his wrist, used sides together.  Don't need to put it down on your chin to eat or drink; don't need a pocket.  Haven't cruised yet with mine, but after a year and 4 months of using it for stores etc. I haven't lost any, and haven't had to go back to the car for one very often.

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea

1 hour ago, TayanaLorna said:

The Star, Sky and Sea do not have drawers in closet.  I bring a three-slot hanging shelf.

That’s for DV closet. PV has a big credenza with several drawers—so even if no extra drawers in closet—there’s loads of drawer space.

1 hour ago, patchicago said:

Thank you!! We are 2 women traveling together and planning on overpacking. 

Ha no problem in a PV.  My DH and I had a PV during a 3 season clothing cruise and did not use all the drawers.  We also loved the additional counter space for all our stuff.  Can ask for as many hangers as you need too.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, dobbs36 said:

The contact tracer does not track where you are or went. My husband lost his and I asked if they could ping it so we could find it. The agent said that they have no idea where it is. Viking doesn't even know if you are wearing it. They only know if it shows up as having been near a tracker on a person who tests positive.

So that begs the question/temptation  of leaving it in your cabin.  I’m a rule follower-but hmmmm

51 minutes ago, LindaS272 said:

That’s for DV closet. PV has a big credenza with several drawers—so even if no extra drawers in closet—there’s loads of drawer space.

Correct drawer

52 minutes ago, LindaS272 said:

Right all DV and V closets have no drawers in those ships.

5 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Somehow they knew when my battery was low and sent a charger to my room. I wore mine faithfully. Attached my room key to it with a hole punch. I hung it with a mask on a hook by the door. I go on cruises with magnetic hooks. https://amzn.to/3zSF439

Edited by Doc who loves to travel

17 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Interesting in that this contradicts other people's stories that I have read here over the past few years. Most of them reported that Viking kept the fare from the one who couldn't go and demanded additional payment of the single supplement before the person who could go was permitted to board. To get back the roomie's portion of the fare, they had to file an insurance claim. I sure like your scenario better.

I do recall sweating it out because this was before the “cancel for any reason” insurance was in place, but Viking was made whole and we paid the same as if my husband had arranged single supplement in the first place. Viking actually saved money because they weren’t pouring my excess share of cocktails (we usually get our money’s worth on the Silver Package by day 2 or 3). But hearing these other anecdotes reminds me that we must have been very lucky.