Cheers Package first day of Cruise out of Galveston

larrymeador

We were able to purchase our cruise with the Cheers package based on the RU1 offer extended by Carnival.  Never bought the drink package before.  I've heard there's some prohibition to using this on the first day if you're sailing out of Galveston.  Does anyone have the details.  If it can't be used on the first day for alcoholic drinks, can non-alcoholic drinks be purchased with it on the first day?

Thanks for any advice.

20 minutes ago, larrymeador said:

We were able to purchase our cruise with the Cheers package based on the RU1 offer extended by Carnival.  Never bought the drink package before.  I've heard there's some prohibition to using this on the first day if you're sailing out of Galveston.  Does anyone have the details.  If it can't be used on the first day for alcoholic drinks, can non-alcoholic drinks be purchased with it on the first day?

Thanks for any advice.

Texas laws require all booze sold in their waters be purchase/taxed through thier policies so only a certain selection can be sold until in international waters. (this is not Carnival's idea. ) 

Edited by Purvis1231
typo

21 minutes ago, larrymeador said:

Thanks for any advice.

I was told cheers start 7 am the next morning, when the first bar opens.

I was wondering myself if we can do a mocktail or tea or something non alcoholic the day we board. Seems logical we could. 

4 minutes ago, Purvis1231 said:

Texas laws require all booze sold in their waters be purchase/taxed through thier policies so only a certain selection can be sold until in international waters. (this is not Carnival's idea. ) 

I've read this but we will be in international waters before the bars close... idk .. I hear ya.. just dont know why we cant once we hit international waters.

2 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I was told cheers start 7 am the next morning, when the first bar opens.

I was wondering myself if we can do a mocktail or tea or something non alcoholic the day we board. Seems logical we could. 

I think it is 6am if you want to start that early! 

You wont be able to use it until 6am the second day for any purchases it covers, as you are only paying for it starting the second day and on.  So on embarkation day any drink that has a cost, alcoholic or not, is charged to your sail and sign balance.

Perfect opportunity to start and finish your wine bottle(s) the first night.

When I first stepped on the Dream in Galveston, the very first thing I did was to flag down a waiter and order a FunShip Special. And yes it had alcohol in it....PLENTY of it. LOL. I think the cost was a little more but not noticeable. And I did NOT have cheers. 

17 hours ago, larrymeador said:

Thanks for any advice.

From the Carnival website:

Due to state laws, we cannot sell CHEERS! until the second day of the cruise (starting at 6:00am) for voyages departing from our Texas and New York home ports. Drinks purchased on the first day of the cruise will be charged to the guest's Sail & Sign® card in the usual manner. When purchased on the second day of the cruise, guests are charged for the remaining days only (cruise duration less one day)

Hope that helps.

As has been recently posted, Cheers does not start out of Galveston until 600 am on day two of the cruise.  While still in Galveston and until the ship hits international waters, Texas bought liquor is used and I believe fewer brands as well.  Once international waters are hit, the Texas bottles are stowed away and the regular bottles come out.  Either way, no Cheers at all until day two.

On 6/22/2021 at 6:08 PM, Joe817 said:

When I first stepped on the Dream in Galveston, the very first thing I did was to flag down a waiter and order a FunShip Special. And yes it had alcohol in it....PLENTY of it. LOL. I think the cost was a little more but not noticeable. And I did NOT have cheers. 

They still serve alcoholic drinks, but the liquor itself was purchased in Texas since you were still in Galveston and you also paid Texas sales tax on the drink, so that is why you paid a bit more.

On 6/22/2021 at 6:03 PM, firefly333 said:

You can, you'll just pay a la carte pricing for it with whatever you order on day 1, alcoholic or nonalcoholic.