The 7 Stages of Cruise Cancellation Denial

CILCIANRQTS

The 7 Stages of Cruise Cancellation Denial (when your cruise shows “Sold Out”)

1. It’s probably just a computer glitch.
2. The site must be down for maintenance.
3. Well, it IS a popular route!
4. I called the cruise line and they assured me the trip is still on.
5. The phone rep told me this is just a “pause” to see what develops.
6. This sailing was closed due to a capacity issue.
7.  It’s gone!!

27 minutes ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

The 7 Stages of Cruise Cancellation Denial (when your cruise shows “Sold Out”)

1. It’s probably just a computer glitch.
2. The site must be down for maintenance.
3. Well, it IS a popular route!
4. I called the cruise line and they assured me the trip is still on.
5. The phone rep told me this is just a “pause” to see what develops.
6. This sailing was closed due to a capacity issue.
7.  It’s gone!!

I did that the first time when initially booked on the Prestige, now I know the signs and calling or e-mailing won't help--I will get the call and will have to make a decision.  So for now just a waiting game. But the Viking Rep from Tell us at Viking did put notes in my record (she must have known something) indicating we have hotel rooms booked before and after that need to be juggled (independently) and are not too happy about that.

1 hour ago, rcaruso said:

I did that the first time when initially booked on the Prestige, now I know the signs and calling or e-mailing won't help--I will get the call and will have to make a decision.  So for now just a waiting game. But the Viking Rep from Tell us at Viking did put notes in my record (she must have known something) indicating we have hotel rooms booked before and after that need to be juggled (independently) and are not too happy about that.

Good catch!

If she didn’t know something, there’d be no need to put any notes in your record.

There’s going to be a LOT (read: thousands) of disappointed Viking cruisers real soon.

• Like 1

Yes there will be.  If they are really cancelling all of these cruises and taking their sweet time notifying the passengers, we may be done with Viking.  How much of a nightmare will it be trying to rebook our Christmas Markets cruise when they have cancelled (presumably) 10 out of 24 December cruises?  I know our sailing was almost sold out, so I really don't understand this.  If this is how they treat their customers, I think we will take a pass on sailing with them again.

1 hour ago, QueenofEverything said:

Yes there will be.  If they are really cancelling all of these cruises and taking their sweet time notifying the passengers, we may be done with Viking.  How much of a nightmare will it be trying to rebook our Christmas Markets cruise when they have cancelled (presumably) 10 out of 24 December cruises?  I know our sailing was almost sold out, so I really don't understand this.  If this is how they treat their customers, I think we will take a pass on sailing with them again.

Remember this is not just Viking, the others are doing it too.  As you can see all the other cruises are open, so more than likely they will try and move you to another cruise.  No one expected Covid 19 last year and its lingering effects this year.  However, I am not happy with the way I have to wait to get the call, I did that last year when the Prestige was taken out of service.

They may also be shown as "sold out" if they are sailing with limited capacity.  I saw something from Avalon that they are sailing with fewer passengers.  They are also sailing on a reduced schedule, so some of their cruises may be cancelled.

16 minutes ago, Daisi said:

They may also be shown as "sold out" if they are sailing with limited capacity.

From what I have understood from IG River Cruise and interviews, the current maximum is 80 percent occupancy. No ships are full to 100 percent, say 190 passengers before the pandemic for example.

notamermaid

16 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

From what I have understood from IG River Cruise and interviews, the current maximum is 80 percent occupancy. No ships are full to 100 percent, say 190 passengers before the pandemic for example.

notamermaid

When I spoke to the Viking Rep from my e-mail to Tell us at Viking, she sd there was no restriction.  Too much going on, no one really knows what is happening.  I guess flexibility is the key.

14 minutes ago, rcaruso said:

When I spoke to the Viking Rep from my e-mail to Tell us at Viking, she sd there was no restriction.  Too much going on, no one really knows what is happening.  I guess flexibility is the key.

Oh, I am surprised as IG River Cruise and other institutions had clearly stated a reduction to ensure physical distancing. Can only speculate at this point if this means for their bookings as they are later in the year it will work out fine or they do not need to have a lower capacity to ensure following the rules. So, yes, flexibility it will need to be, I think so too.

I hope it all works out for all of you well, also with the hassle of air travel.

notamermaid

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

And take a look at the pattern for the 64 cancellations on the Rhine Getaway page, all for a selected number of ships. 

“I feel a bad moon rising...” 

Well lets look at it glass half full.  All companies are consolidating cruises.  The last two years have been hard on everyone.  So when we get a second cancellation we have an opportunity to move the date--although for us means quite a bit of hotel cancellations and rebooking, but it can be done.  Viking in general has always done right by us in general.  I do not like how they handle the cancellations as right now it is obvious we will be cancelled but no one will tell us until the August, Sept and October people are advised.  But yes a lot of folks over all cruise lines will be disappointed.

4 minutes ago, ninaks said:

I am booked in October on Uniworld for Rhine and Mosselle, but anxiously reading this post.  Are you all saying that Viking has cancelled most of their trips through October?

I don't think that is what they are saying. They are saying that some ships seem to have had all their sailings cancelled, because they are likely consolidating passengers on other sailings of the same route.

Just now, gnome12 said:

I don't think that is what they are saying. They are saying that some ships seem to have had all their sailings cancelled, because they are likely consolidating passengers on other sailings of the same route.

Thank you for that clarification..... I am slightly on edge I guess....

1 minute ago, gnome12 said:

Yes, that is correct.  Still plenty of sailings.