Ocean Medallion App - Part 3

margord

14 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Did you find the Travel Companions section/page in the App?  That is where you can link up the others.

If you don't have an adult on the booking, other posters have indicated and seems confirmed you cannot get in.  I am not sure if Princess has a work-around, but you can call in and select the phone tree option for help getting Ocean Ready.

Under preferences/ocean compass/link child is where I tried to link up, but it didn't work.  I was able to add them as dining companions. 🤔

I guess I will have to call in for that child.  So much for tech!  

• Thanks 1

Hello,

I hope someone might have an idea.

Here is my issue

I am going on a tranatlantic with DH (dear husband). After the cruise, he (DH) is getting off the ship. I am staying on (same cabin) and my DF(dear friend) is joining me for the next leg.

I have two booking numbers (one for each cruise. I see both on the app).

When I tried to sign up for the app, my DH's birthday was listed as my DF's birthday. So, I could not check in as it said the birthdate doesn't match with our records. I called Princess. They solved the issue. My DH's birthdate is now correct. We did our checkin. Yay.

Next, I go to do my second leg check-in. My DF now has my husband's birthdate. I called Princess back. They fixed DF's birthdate. Now, DH's birthdate is incorrect (it is DF's birthdate). They are unable to fix both in the app. But, both invoices are now correct.

On my DH and I's voyage all is good. We have check marks for everything but the arrival time (it is still too early. We are 200 days out). We are cruising first. Should I just leave it as it is?

DF can show up with no app, right? Her invoice has the correct date of birth. The app has DH birthdate, and I can't change it without messing up DH's.

Another thought was to try to fix hers once DH and I are on the ship. But, what if it messes up while onboard, yikes, then what happens to DH? Do they throw him overbard, stop him from returning to ship after excursions, make him work in the galley?

If we do nothing, will DF be denied boarding?

Basically, What is your experience?

3 hours ago, realtrip said:

Hello,

I hope someone might have an idea.

Here is my issue

I am going on a tranatlantic with DH (dear husband). After the cruise, he (DH) is getting off the ship. I am staying on (same cabin) and my DF(dear friend) is joining me for the next leg.

I have two booking numbers (one for each cruise. I see both on the app).

When I tried to sign up for the app, my DH's birthday was listed as my DF's birthday. So, I could not check in as it said the birthdate doesn't match with our records. I called Princess. They solved the issue. My DH's birthdate is now correct. We did our checkin. Yay.

Next, I go to do my second leg check-in. My DF now has my husband's birthdate. I called Princess back. They fixed DF's birthdate. Now, DH's birthdate is incorrect (it is DF's birthdate). They are unable to fix both in the app. But, both invoices are now correct.

On my DH and I's voyage all is good. We have check marks for everything but the arrival time (it is still too early. We are 200 days out). We are cruising first. Should I just leave it as it is?

DF can show up with no app, right? Her invoice has the correct date of birth. The app has DH birthdate, and I can't change it without messing up DH's.

Another thought was to try to fix hers once DH and I are on the ship. But, what if it messes up while onboard, yikes, then what happens to DH? Do they throw him overboard, stop him from returning to ship after excursions, make him work in the galley?

If we do nothing, will DF be denied boarding?

Basically, What is your experience?

Well, here is a new bug I have not heard of before almost two years in this super-wonderful App.  It is clear that Princess IT designed and developed the App on the presumption that if you have multiple bookings, it is always with the same cabinmate.  

Since the first voyage is with DH, set the birthdate that way.  Or, have him login using DF birthdate and let him setup things.  Same thing with your DF - she can set up dining or whatever on your behalf.  You should be okay on the ship.

I wouldn't think he would get tossed overboard - just you for messing with the App by not conforming to the faulty IT design.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

Well, here is a new bug I have not heard of before almost two years in this super-wonderful App.  It is clear that Princess IT designed and developed the App on the presumption that if you have multiple bookings, it is always with the same cabinmate.

I think the issue here is that you mistakenly think that a booking is YOUR booking, and you are free to set it up as you wish,

change it was you wish, share a cabin with whomever you wish...

You may not behave this way.    You must follow the edicts layed down by nameless, faceless medallion app developers.

Resistance is futile.

All your base are belong to us.

What will you ask for next?   To use the app on a ship made of steel?!?!?!?

The above is sarcasm.   But, after reading years of app problems people have endured, I'm not really sure.

Smiley - Wikipedia

Edited by Roberto256
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Roberto256 said:

I think the issue here is that you mistakenly think that a booking is YOUR booking, and you are free to set it up as you wish,

change it was you wish, share a cabin with whomever you wish...

But it's MY cruise!  🙂

4 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Since the first voyage is with DH, set the birthdate that way.  Or, have him login using DF birthdate and let him setup things.  Same thing with your DF - she can set up dining or whatever on your behalf.  You should be okay on the ship.

I wouldn't think he would get tossed overboard - just you for messing with the App by not conforming to the faulty IT design.

Have multiple bookings 

with different guests 

and not experiencing app issues reported

by @realtrip

4 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

and @realtrip - how long ago did you set up your profile with Princess?  This sounds vaguely familiar to what I’ve experienced with my corrupted POLAR data.  I have an email dated 2015 to my PVP detailing issues with not only the birth date but also the passport numbers for DH and me getting transposed with b2b bookings, issues that continue to cause grief to this day.  If, as Steelers36 has suggested, you get thrown overboard for messing with the App, I’ll throw you a life ring!  😜

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, kamelia said:

and @realtrip - how long ago did you set up your profile with Princess?  This sounds vaguely familiar to what I’ve experienced with my corrupted POLAR data.  I have an email dated 2015 to my PVP detailing issues with not only the birth date but also the passport numbers for DH and me getting transposed with b2b bookings, issues that continue to cause grief to this day.  If, as Steelers36 has suggested, you get thrown overboard for messing with the App, I’ll throw you a life ring!  😜

Our friends ended up with transposed BD's last year for a B2B2B booking.  What a mess and took several attempts over time to get it fixed.  Meanwhile, they had invalid booking in App (from App perspective) and were locked out of DMW as a n example).

But @realtrip had two bookings with two different cabinmates.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Our friends ended up with transposed BD's last year for a B2B2B booking.  What a mess and took several attempts over time to get it fixed.  Meanwhile, they had invalid booking in App (from App perspective) and were locked out of DMW as a n example).

But why were birthdates being transposed within each booking? Each person “should” (imo) have had their own unique profile, regardless of with whom they were sailing.  Passenger Mrs RealTrip’s birthday was the same whether she was sailing with Mr RealTrip or Mrs RealTrip’s friend.  Our “fix” from the IT folks in 2015 was to make sure that when we booked a b2b, either DH or me was lead passenger on both/all bookings.  That worked for the next five years, until this fardling app was made the be all and end all.  I just wondered if maybe @realtrip was also experiencing similar issues…

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, kamelia said:

But why were birthdates being transposed within each booking? Each person “should” (imo) have had their own unique profile, regardless of with whom they were sailing.  Passenger Mrs RealTrip’s birthday was the same whether she was sailing with Mr RealTrip or Mrs RealTrip’s friend.  Our “fix” from the IT folks in 2015 was to make sure that when we booked a b2b, either DH or me was lead passenger on both/all bookings.  That worked for the next five years, until this fardling app was made the be all and end all.  I just wondered if maybe @realtrip was also experiencing similar issues…

Good point. I did not think to inquire of @realtrip if she was lead on both bookings.  That said, I agree that the System should handle it correctly, but appears not to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, kamelia said:

I set it up a few weeks ago for DH and me. I have given up trying to get DF's birthday to work. 

Hopefully she can check in on her own without the app. because, you know, I'll be on ship waiting for her to get on, LOL

16 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Yes, two bookings. Two booking numbers, two different cabin mates. Plus third mate shows up on both bookings on the app (not on the invoices)

15 hours ago, kamelia said:

It is really strange. My date of birth is fine everywhere (app, computer and invoice). DH and DF can only have one shared date of birth. If I fix or if IT fixes one birthdate then the other becomes wrong (it takes the last fixed birthdate and applies it to both people.). Thankfully the invoices are completely fixed. But because of this issue, I can't become Ocean Ready because one of my travel companions has the wrong birthdate.

4 hours ago, realtrip said:

It is really strange. My date of birth is fine everywhere (app, computer and invoice). DH and DF can only have one shared date of birth. If I fix or if IT fixes one birthdate then the other becomes wrong (it takes the last fixed birthdate and applies it to both people.). Thankfully the invoices are completely fixed. But because of this issue, I can't become Ocean Ready because one of my travel companions has the wrong birthdate.

Wish I could offer something other than my utmost sympathy regarding the frustrations you’re experiencing!  It’s not you - there are others in the same boat, so to speak, when it comes to dealing with this new technology.  Don’t let it spoil what is about to be a great cruise!  Or, in your case, TWO great cruises! 😊

• Like 1

5 hours ago, realtrip said:

It took major programming talent to create such a screwed up scenario,😉

I suspect they employ the least talented IT people and programmers that they can get.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, brisalta said:

It took major programming talent to create such a screwed up scenario,😉

I suspect they employ the least talented IT people and programmers that they can get.

I think the IT Department at Princess is probably busy getting ready for the senior prom.  Maybe things will improve some day ... say in ten years or so.  But probably not.  It's no fun trying to make a website work for the pax, much better to think up new and wonderful tricks you can do with the app ... perhaps.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jsn55 said:

I think the IT Department at Princess is probably busy getting ready for the senior prom.  Maybe things will improve some day ... say in ten years or so.  But probably not.  It's no fun trying to make a website work for the pax, much better to think up new and wonderful tricks you can do with the app ... perhaps.

The interesting thing is that the web site Cruise Personalizer feature used to work OK. They then introduced the app and stripped the functionality out of the Cruise Personalizer. What they should have done was add a few features to the Cruise Personalizer including CSS for small devices. If they wanted an app they could have just created a wrapper app to launch the Cruise Personalizer in a browser instance.

Firstly it is unfair to blame Princess IT as I believe that virtually all of Carnival's IT is now centralised and that individual brands only have a small team for minor day to day issues.

Secondly, from what I have read, the Medallion software was outsourced. When software is outsourced there is the problem that the company that is doing the programming does not fully understand what the requirements are (even though they will have been specified) or, more likely, have misinterpreted them. Now none of that is an excuse for a poor product especially when you (or in this case Carnival/Princess) are paying for it - but here comes the problem. Not all issues are immediately noticed and there would normally be a limited time for "maintenance". Once that maintenance period had ended then the problem is that any fixes, updates etc. will be being done in-house and anyone that has done any programming knows how difficult it is to modify someone else's code.

Add to that that mobile phones are evolving at breakneck speed and trying to keep up whilst maintaining backward compatibility will inevitably create problems.

There is a not unreasonable argument that the Medallion app should not have been released when it was but that is history and without releasing it many of the problems would not become evident.

The issue is "Why does it work for some and not others?" and "Why does it work on some devices and not others?" With Princess having something in the region one million passengers a year trying to find the reasons is not going to be an easy task.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Help.  Haven’t opened the app since last cruise 6 months ago.  Just tried to open it  to see if the cruise I booked a few days ago is there.  All I get is the “Let’s Cruise” circle spinning… just keeps spinning.

should I delete the app & reinstall?

More trouble with this beloved app. 

The name on the princess website is Firstname Middlename Lastname. 
The name on the passport is Firstname Middlename Lastname.
The medallion app takes the info from the scanned passport page and automagically enters Firstname Middlename in the first name section and also tells me this is invalid. 
If I delete Middlename, it accepts it. But it no longer matches Passport or the name as listed on the website. 
Im not sure what is supposed to happen here.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, vakamalua said:

Help.  Haven’t opened the app since last cruise 6 months ago.  Just tried to open it  to see if the cruise I booked a few days ago is there.  All I get is the “Let’s Cruise” circle spinning… just keeps spinning.

should I delete the app & reinstall?

I would certainly try that, but no guarantees.  Doing so will assure you have the latest version without going into several steps to check the versions.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RedJessi said:

More trouble with this beloved app. 

The name on the princess website is Firstname Middlename Lastname. 
The name on the passport is Firstname Middlename Lastname.
The medallion app takes the info from the scanned passport page and automagically enters Firstname Middlename in the first name section and also tells me this is invalid. 
If I delete Middlename, it accepts it. But it no longer matches Passport or the name as listed on the website. 
Im not sure what is supposed to happen here.

Don't worry about middle name missing in the App.  I have not seen the App page layout in recent months, so I am asking if there is a middle name field you can manually enter.  You don't have to use the scanned passport info - it is just a short-cut convenience (supposedly).

• Like 2

17 hours ago, david63 said:

Firstly it is unfair to blame Princess IT as I believe that virtually all of Carnival's IT is now centralised and that individual brands only have a small team for minor day to day issues.

Secondly, from what I have read, the Medallion software was outsourced. When software is outsourced there is the problem that the company that is doing the programming does not fully understand what the requirements are (even though they will have been specified) or, more likely, have misinterpreted them. Now none of that is an excuse for a poor product especially when you (or in this case Carnival/Princess) are paying for it - but here comes the problem. Not all issues are immediately noticed and there would normally be a limited time for "maintenance". Once that maintenance period had ended then the problem is that any fixes, updates etc. will be being done in-house and anyone that has done any programming knows how difficult it is to modify someone else's code.

Add to that that mobile phones are evolving at breakneck speed and trying to keep up whilst maintaining backward compatibility will inevitably create problems.

There is a not unreasonable argument that the Medallion app should not have been released when it was but that is history and without releasing it many of the problems would not become evident.

The issue is "Why does it work for some and not others?" and "Why does it work on some devices and not others?" With Princess having something in the region one million passengers a year trying to find the reasons is not going to be an easy task.

Having worked on major software projects far more complicated than the Medallion app  beginning back in the 20th century all I can say is phooey. The developers of the app are as is typical of many US corporations in a subsidiary. (Typically this is done for tax purposes). If you dig into the Medallion App you will find that it is not built with tools native to either Android or IOS but with a tool from Microsoft. 😞 It indicates to me that the development team does not know how to create applications that can run on multiple platforms.

It is obvious that the development group does not have a Quality Engineering team because there are so many problems that would have been found in the design stage if they had done so.

Even if the development is outsourced there should be an in house team to perform acceptance testing with a well written suite of tests.

If they had kept the Cruise Personalizer active the developers of the Medallion App could have referred to that. Simple things like entering passport details are impossible to complete. For some countries they do not even have the Nationality in the nationality field drop down. I notice that  you are from the UK. The country may be the United Kingdom but the Nationality is either British Citizen or British Subject or one or two other Nationalities. (You can check the Home  Office for details). This used to be handled correctly in the old Cruise Personalizer.

In addition many  passports put the first and middle names in the first name field and the Medallion App now rejects that. Once again the old Cruise Personalizer handled that OK.

If you look at the Green Card document option that is a mess as well. It asks for information that is not used in that document!!!

There are other problems with the app as well.

From release to release they fix one thing that was working and then break something else.

(Note I18n / L10n was one of several areas of my specialization along with security).

Edited by brisalta
  • Like 2