Ocean Medallion App - Part 3

margord

Hi! First time Princess cruise coming up in 2024. Traveling with family (there will be nine of us).
I've read through Medallion posts and see that you have to give permission for people traveling with you to 'see' you. Say, just for example, my husband and I don't want to be 'found' and just want to spend a day or evening alone, can we rescind permission for awhile and then (maybe) grant it again?
They're family, we love them, but..... 🙄

12 hours ago, CEWayfarer said:

Hi! First time Princess cruise coming up in 2024. Traveling with family (there will be nine of us).
I've read through Medallion posts and see that you have to give permission for people traveling with you to 'see' you. Say, just for example, my husband and I don't want to be 'found' and just want to spend a day or evening alone, can we rescind permission for awhile and then (maybe) grant it again?
They're family, we love them, but..... 🙄

Yes.  You can turn it off and back on.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2023 at 5:18 PM, 659fcs said:

I have just booked a cruise in November, Caribbean Princess, that has the medallion button.

I see this is going to be an exercise in true frustration after having sifted through about a year of posts. Can't find what I am looking for, or see conflicting answers .... so a bunch of questions ...

Do I need to do anything at all with it? It looks like it is simply to open my cabin door and pick up drinks at the bar? (I have no interest in the fancy dining, nor shore excursions other than the beach days). Do I just pick it up when I board? Some say they ordered it online... from where? Do I have to lug my phone with me around the ship? Do I just carry it in my pocket? I have no interest in even a lanyard around my neck like Paddington.

I downloaded the app, but it doesn't recognize my booking number. I tried using the Chat for Customer Service,  that didn't work, then tried a phone and had a 45 minute wait. Neither a good sign.

I am with a group with their own dining arrangements, so as I remember from a few cruises 10+ years ago, you just walk up to the host to get seated, we have a set dining time. Is that correct?

Do they still have the excursion desk to make this a LOT easier?

Are formal nights pretty much the thing of the past other than nice clothes? My last three  never required jackets for men, just long sleeve shirts & a tie. With luggage sizes, I have no plans on taking a jacket, plus it's the Caribbean and hot, so rather uncomfortable to be decked out in formal stuff.

Appreciate any of the above to be cleared up!  This is MUCH different than when I last cruised. Not sure if this is worth it,,,,but too late. 

Thanks!!

For shore excursions

Hi.  Looks like many questions you had not got answered yet.

The physical Medallion is your id to board and disbark the ship.  It unlocks your cabin door.  It identifies you to bar staff or sales personnel in shops, etc, in order to charge purchases to your cabin account.

The Medallions can be shipped to you if you have a US address.  It costs $10, unless you are booked with the Plus or Premier cruise fare packages.  Otherwise, you collect at the pier terminal when checking in - just like the old cruise cards.

There is also a software app.. the Princess App... which has pre-cruise check-in process and other options, plus a slew of functionality while on board the ship.  Up to you whether to use the App, but it makes whole experience better for most folks, at least while on the cruise.

Yes, there is an excursion desk but be forewarned that several excursions may be sold out if you wait until boarding and prices often go up.  You can shop Princess excursions using the Cruise Personalizer.

Formal nights are still held and you can read about them on Princess.com.  Sometimes one of those nights has a Dress To Impress moniker and lately they have been doing white & gold theme.  But that one doesn't seem to be very popular.

You can dress anything from Smart Casual to black tie on formal night and fine you are.  You will find that in Caribbean sector the dress is more to the casual end of spectrum these days than to the unchanged Princess recommendations (read on Princess.com in the FAQs).

You say you are part of a group that has dining arrangements.  Are you sure they included you?  Did someone in the group book dinner res using DineMyWay (DMW) for the entire group?  They would have needed your booking confirmation code for that.  I could answer you better if you can say more about the arrangement. 

Something you should know.  Let's say someone booked you all for a table in the same DR each night at 6pm.  This is no guarantee you are at the same table with the same waiters each night.  If that is what your group is looking for, it needs to be requested of DR Mgmt after boarding.  Until you are confirmed on board into the same table each night, you will have to check in with hosts at the door to see where they seat you.

I will address your App issue in another post.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 7

On 6/26/2023 at 2:18 PM, 659fcs said:

"I have just booked a cruise in November, Caribbean Princess, that has the medallion button."

Your first question covers almost everything.  The whole medallion thing is just some engineers having fun and a constant source of annoyance to many pax.  Princess is aware of the problems, but does nothing substantive to help their customers.

You don't have to do anything with the medallion but put it in your pocket and let it unlock your door.  You still have to push on the handle and open the door, so the medallion does allow you to carry things in one hand.

Some people can make the whole system work like it's supposed to but lots of people slowly go insane trying to make the thing work before they board.  Once you board, you realize that the thing is ust a substitute for a cabin key.

You usually have to give your cabin number when you pick up drinks, the medallion doesn't work reliably. 

It  will be waiting for you when you check in.  Don't bother getting it mailed. 

You won't need your phone on the ship.  I did have fun ordering things for the cabin with my phone, that was one of the things on the app that sometimes worked for me. 

Don't bother with the app, chat or telephone to try to get help. You can probably get faster and better help right here on CC.  Use a computer to check in like the olden days.

You won't be missing anything because medallion doesn't work reliably for dinner reservations or shore excursions.  You can set up some tasks successfully, but later on they change or disappear.  You will see many cruise employees available to help the first few days, as lots of pax attempt to get along with the medallion.  

Probably no issue with booking shore excursions onboard, since that generates revenue.  I booked all ours with my computer and some of them were fine, others were totally screwed up.  

Formal nights now consist of a collared shirt tucked into a pair of pants with a belt.  Some of us like to dress up, but nobody really cares.

I think you'll find some changes since you last cruised, but it's really the medallion that creates all the problems you're hearing about.  The other stuff is easy to observe and figure out.

After you've been on board a day or two, you'll forget all about this awful medallion thing that Princess insists on shoving down everyone's throats.  And you'll have a GREAT time!  Our crew on Royal Princess was superb, the cabin was nice and there was lots of good food.  

On 6/26/2023 at 8:32 PM, 659fcs said:

Thanks, that is also an issue.... I can sign into the app, but all I get is the  "Ocean Ready" page asking for my personal info, there are no other links or button, or tabs to do anything else. That page then asks me to link my booking (thus the booking  #) and it simply says, "this booking number has already been claimed'.... so am I supposed to sign in on my laptop instead? I do get a "preferences" option, but that is for room configuration, food issues, etc. 

It's not your fault for trying, but never use the Link My Booking option.  It doesn't do anything.

Your booking shows up in the App within a day or so after making it and putting down a deposit.

You should see it when logging in with email id and pswd ... same as you use on Princess.com website.  If that is not working, the App has an alternate sign-in process where you use Name, Birthdate, Confirmation Code.  If that doesn't work and the booking is not brand new, then there  could be a data corruption issue between the main reservation system (POLAR) and the Princess App (formerly Medallion Class App).

There is a Web version of the Princess App.  Login to Princess.com and access the Cruise Personalizer.  On the main page, the App is advertised along with links to the Play Store.  In the small print is a link to the URL for the App web version.

Login again and you should get access to your booking.

If not, call in to Princess and, using the phone tree options, choose help getting Ocean Ready.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, jsn55 said:

Thank you so much, an invaluable post!!!  Last time I sailed was with the credit card key, so basically Princess decided to ditch that, confuse the daylights out of people, and use this electronic device that always doesn't work LOL

9 minutes ago, 659fcs said:

Thank you so much, an invaluable post!!!  Last time I sailed was with the credit card key, so basically Princess decided to ditch that, confuse the daylights out of people, and use this electronic device that always doesn't work LOL

The Medallion seems to work just fine, it is the Medallion App that causes the problem with some of the users. You can get along just fine without the app,

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

It's not your fault for trying, but never use the Link My Booking option.  It doesn't do anything.

Your booking shows up in the App within a day or so after making it and putting down a deposit.

You should see it when logging in with email id and pswd ... same as you use on Princess.com website.  If that is not working, the App has an alternate sign-in process where you use Name, Birthdate, Confirmation Code.  If that doesn't work and the booking is not brand new, then there  could be a data corruption issue between the main reservation system (POLAR) and the Princess App (formerly Medallion Class App).

There is a Web version of the Princess App.  Login to Princess.com and access the Cruise Personalizer.  On the main page, the App is advertised along with links to the Play Store.  In the small print is a link to the URL for the App web version.

Login again and you should get access to your booking.

If not, call in to Princess and, using the phone tree options, choose help getting Ocean Ready.

Thanks, the web version is equally as elusive. All I get on that is a single page, no links, no buttons, no way to connect to anything. (like supposedly I am able to book excursions, dinners, etc ) All it has is about 5 lines of my personal info....that's it. As my cruise isn't until November, I'll try again at some point (it was booked and deposited last Thursday) but otherwise, I will just ignore it, and pick on up at the port. From the multiple posts, it appears that few use it except to get into their rooms, and it is fraught with problems.

18 minutes ago, 659fcs said:

Thanks, the web version is equally as elusive. All I get on that is a single page, no links, no buttons, no way to connect to anything. (like supposedly I am able to book excursions, dinners, etc ) All it has is about 5 lines of my personal info....that's it. As my cruise isn't until November, I'll try again at some point (it was booked and deposited last Thursday) but otherwise, I will just ignore it, and pick on up at the port. From the multiple posts, it appears that few use it except to get into their rooms, and it is fraught with problems.

The physical Medallion is what allows cabin entry.   The App is totally another thing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 659fcs said:

For the Medallion itself, everything seems to work well - it does all the functions it’s supposed to do, unless you end up with one with a dead/dying battery, then there may be issues (Al which a quick visit to guest services will clear up).  Most of the problems (delayed/undelivered food or drinks) are probably less of a medallion issue and more of an operational issue.  Getting into the rooms, using it to access onboard account, calling up info on the ships screens - all works fine.

The Medallion App is much more hit or miss, but we’ve been on 3 cruises since the restart, and the app has done everything we needed it to.  A couple of small temporary issues which cleared themselves up in a day or two, pre-boarding.  While on the ship, everything seemed to work okay, with occasional outages where we couldn’t pull up the daily activities.  You don’t use it to get into your room.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 659fcs said:

The big issues with ignoring the whole medallion mess until a month out are sold-out ShoreXs and inability to book a special dinner at the time you want.  But I believe you can do that on the phone ... maybe.  And for the record, lots of pax have no issues with the medallion system and think it's great.  For some of us, it's just too frustrating. 

There are two camps when it comes to technology.  For example, I was asking something on another thread about my phone not operating outside the US ... someone responded that I could rent a phone that would work in Europe.  Sure thing, but it would take me most of the cruise to learn how to use the rented phone.  Kinda exemplifies the difference between those of us who get it and those of us who don't  That's the basic difference with using medallion ... some of us take forever to figure out how to do things.  Others just jump right in and start paddling.  The paddlers can't seem to comprehend the problem.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, jsn55 said:

The big issues with ignoring the whole medallion mess until a month out are sold-out ShoreXs and inability to book a special dinner at the time you want.  But I believe you can do that on the phone ... maybe.  And for the record, lots of pax have no issues with the medallion system and think it's great.  For some of us, it's just too frustrating. 

There are two camps when it comes to technology.  For example, I was asking something on another thread about my phone not operating outside the US ... someone responded that I could rent a phone that would work in Europe.  Sure thing, but it would take me most of the cruise to learn how to use the rented phone.  Kinda exemplifies the difference between those of us who get it and those of us who don't  That's the basic difference with using medallion ... some of us take forever to figure out how to do things.  Others just jump right in and start paddling.  The paddlers can't seem to comprehend the problem.  

It is probably not your phone but the service you have. Some plans are only good for the US

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, jsn55 said:

That's about what I was thinking... it's a 50/50 split and really not worth me wasting my time. What I am seeing on both the phone app and the web app have nothing that indicate I can do anything at all with it...just the  "fill in your personal info stuff" I also have no intention of trying to use my phone at all on the ship unless I am using WIFI. I did a couple of the special dining rooms on my last Princess cruses years ago and was not really enthralled, plus I have done the Caribbean enough to probably just stay on the ship and relax.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 659fcs said:

That's about what I was thinking... it's a 50/50 split and really not worth me wasting my time. What I am seeing on both the phone app and the web app have nothing that indicate I can do anything at all with it...just the  "fill in your personal info stuff" I also have no intention of trying to use my phone at all on the ship unless I am using WIFI. I did a couple of the special dining rooms on my last Princess cruses years ago and was not really enthralled, plus I have done the Caribbean enough to probably just stay on the ship and relax.

The app is good for a few things on board. We use it to check our folios and see what is on the menu that day.  Your Wi-Fi on board is the medallion Wi-Fi. You need to be connected to that to use features

Edited by memoak
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, WAvoyager said:

For the Medallion itself, everything seems to work well - it does all the functions it’s supposed to do, unless you end up with one with a dead/dying battery, then there may be issues (Al which a quick visit to guest services will clear up).  Most of the problems (delayed/undelivered food or drinks) are probably less of a medallion issue and more of an operational issue.  Getting into the rooms, using it to access onboard account, calling up info on the ships screens - all works fine.

The Medallion App is much more hit or miss, but we’ve been on 3 cruises since the restart, and the app has done everything we needed it to.  A couple of small temporary issues which cleared themselves up in a day or two, pre-boarding.  While on the ship, everything seemed to work okay, with occasional outages where we couldn’t pull up the daily activities.  You don’t use it to get into your room.

" the app has done everything we needed it to."

I think I am going to wait until I get on the ship for help. When I open the phone app, I have no connections to anything at all... it also crashes every time I try to go backwards... to the point that it has twice completely deleted the app from my phone.  Thanks for your reply!

2 minutes ago, memoak said:

The app is good for a few things on board. We use it to check our folios and see what is on the menu that day. 

Could that be only when you get to the ship? I have nothing that leads me to what you are mentioning.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 659fcs said:

Could that be only when you get to the ship? I have nothing that leads me to what you are mentioning.

You have to be connected to medallion net. This is only possible when you are on the ship. No need to stress

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Hi.  Looks like many questions you had not got answered yet.

The physical Medallion is your id to board and disbark the ship.  It unlocks your cabin door.  It identifies you to bar staff or sales personnel in shops, etc, in order to charge purchases to your cabin account.

The Medallions can be shipped to you if you have a US address.  It costs $10, unless you are booked with the Plus or Premier cruise fare packages.  Otherwise, you collect at the pier terminal when checking in - just like the old cruise cards.

There is also a software app.. the Princess App... which has pre-cruise check-in process and other options, plus a slew of functionality while on board the ship.  Up to you whether to use the App, but it makes whole experience better for most folks, at least while on the cruise.

Yes, there is an excursion desk but be forewarned that several excursions may be sold out if you wait until boarding and prices often go up.  You can shop Princess excursions using the Cruise Personalizer.

Formal nights are still held and you can read about them on Princess.com.  Sometimes one of those nights has a Dress To Impress moniker and lately they have been doing white & gold theme.  But that one doesn't seem to be very popular.

You can dress anything from Smart Casual to black tie on formal night and fine you are.  You will find that in Caribbean sector the dress is more to the casual end of spectrum these days than to the unchanged Princess recommendations (read on Princess.com in the FAQs).

You say you are part of a group that has dining arrangements.  Are you sure they included you?  Did someone in the group book dinner res using DineMyWay (DMW) for the entire group?  They would have needed your booking confirmation code for that.  I could answer you better if you can say more about the arrangement. 

Something you should know.  Let's say someone booked you all for a table in the same DR each night at 6pm.  This is no guarantee you are at the same table with the same waiters each night.  If that is what your group is looking for, it needs to be requested of DR Mgmt after boarding.  Until you are confirmed on board into the same table each night, you will have to check in with hosts at the door to see where they seat you.

I will address your App issue in another post.

re: "You say you are part of a group that has dining arrangements.  Are you sure they included you?" Yes, I should be part of maybe 400-500 people, and either a full dining room, or a portion of the dining rooms is dedicated only to those in my group, at 7:15 only. I also have the option, as I have done before, of just showing up at one of the dining rooms and being seated. Honestly, that is more preferable to me as I have a hearing issue, and dining at a table with more than 2 is difficult.... the surrounded noise (voices, music, even clinking of dishes make hearing clearly impossible and frustrating, so I tend to eat alone). Thanks!!!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, 659fcs said:

re: "You say you are part of a group that has dining arrangements.  Are you sure they included you?" Yes, I should be part of maybe 400-500 people, and either a full dining room, or a portion of the dining rooms is dedicated only to those in my group, at 7:15 only. I also have the option, as I have done before, of just showing up at one of the dining rooms and being seated. Honestly, that is more preferable to me as I have a hearing issue, and dining at a table with more than 2 is difficult.... the surrounded noise (voices, music, even clinking of dishes make hearing clearly impossible and frustrating, so I tend to eat alone). Thanks!!!

If they are using virtually a full DR at 7:15pm (IDK how many can be seated in the DR), then they have to use the 2-tops, the 4-tops, the 6-tops, 8-tops, etc.  So, just let them know you need a two top not in the middle.  It does sound like a good set of hearing aids would help, but IDK your hearing issue or whether it is too late for that.  Good ;luck.  You can certainly dine elsewhere and at a different time than the group and no doubt many members will end up doing so after the first night or so.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

If they are using virtually a full DR at 7:15pm (IDK how many can be seated in the DR), then they have to use the 2-tops, the 4-tops, the 6-tops, 8-tops, etc.  So, just let them know you need a two top not in the middle.  It does sound like a good set of hearing aids would help, but IDK your hearing issue or whether it is too late for that.  Good ;luck.  You can certainly dine elsewhere and at a different time than the group and no doubt many members will end up doing so after the first night or so.

The table set-up is troubling, BUT I always have the choice of the regular dining rooms or the buffets. I'll have to  "play it by ear" (bad pun). Hearing aids are of no use as I am deaf in one ear, perfect in the other...so every single noise anywhere funnels into one, and makes noisy situations almost unbearable.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 659fcs said:

The table set-up is troubling, BUT I always have the choice of the regular dining rooms or the buffets. I'll have to  "play it by ear" (bad pun). Hearing aids are of no use as I am deaf in one ear, perfect in the other...so every single noise anywhere funnels into one, and makes noisy situations almost unbearable.

I mention it because I recently (4 wks) got a pair and they are amazing so far (but I only have partial loss in the high ranges).  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, memoak said:

It is probably not your phone but the service you have. Some plans are only good for the US

On Princess, any smart phone will do, it all runs on their proprietary system.  I had no issues with my dopey Tracfone doing lots of stuff, but doing 'cruise stuff' like making dining plans, was hit or miss.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, memoak said:

I agree. I have an International Plan which kicks in automatically and only costs $10 per day for all the perks and privileges, bells and smells and whistles as if I were back home. It's the best $10 per day investment going....at least for me. Nothing new to learn or SIM card to deal with.

51 minutes ago, HiCCCs said:

I agree. I have an International Plan which kicks in automatically and only costs $10 per day for all the perks and privileges, bells and smells and whistles as if I were back home. It's the best $10 per day investment going....at least for me. Nothing new to learn or SIM card to deal with.

We have the same International plan my remarks were that there are some inexpensive calling plans that do not support international calling

• Thanks 1