Athens Transportation: Airport >> Ship //Airport >> Hotel // Hotel >> Ship

Bruin Steve

We have a large group of 9 that needs to get from the Port to our hotel.  That's quite a few people and pieces of luggage.  Curious if people have recommendations on some type of group transport we can book in advance to pick us up at the port?

9 hours ago, Tasm3n said:

We have a large group of 9 that needs to get from the Port to our hotel.  That's quite a few people and pieces of luggage.  Curious if people have recommendations on some type of group transport we can book in advance to pick us up at the port?

The Concierge at one’s Hotel will take care of everything.  Just send them a message.
After all, that’s just one of the many functions of a Concierge

No worry, no queues, no angst, no “how much”, one knows exactly who/when/where to meet.

Simple…..…..

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tasm3n said:

Or book directly with George's Taxi. They have vans and buses of all sizes. 

taxigreece.com 

Edited by marazul

On 1/18/2023 at 6:47 PM, Tasm3n said:

We had 9 people too.  We just grabbed 3 taxis.  Easy.  

@PORT ROYAL is correct: have the front desk get you taxis rather than try to get ones yourselves.  It was surprisingly cheaper for us for the hotel's front desk to order 3 taxis then when we tried to do it ourselves.  Each taxi from Plaka was about 17 or 18 EUR.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We definitely want to pre book our airport-pier transportation for September.  That was our only bad experience on our first trip to Greece; getting ripped off by a taxi driver.  Just knowing that the rate is fixed is worth the little extra for pre booking rather than chancing a taxi at the airport.

• 1 month later...
On 2/6/2023 at 2:20 PM, Senga said:

We definitely want to pre book our airport-pier transportation for September.  That was our only bad experience on our first trip to Greece; getting ripped off by a taxi driver.  Just knowing that the rate is fixed is worth the little extra for pre booking rather than chancing a taxi at the airport.

56 minutes ago, md3145 said:

Do you have to pay a taxi in cash? Just wondering if we should get money in the states before leaving. Also do you know if they have Ubers in Greece?

The Hotel Concierge will be happy to add to one’s final bill.

No knowledge of Ubers, except they are hated by registered cabs, and barred from official cab stands within transport hubs.

Hi to all helping out fellow passengers,

We are expected to arrive at ATH airport near midnight (could be late depending and checked out no metro-train after 11:45PM and sofitel hotel at airport is but expensive and only allows 2 guests (unlike USA hotels)  so thinking of staying in Athens City center (downtown i guess) since we need place for 2 nights before cruise.  From above discussion, it seems there are 2 options:

1. https://athensairport.taxi/faq/   2) https://www.georgestaxi   3) www.welcomepickups.com

It seems georgetaxi provide custom quote and athensairport has fixed quote

Any advice which one to select (6 adults; and their cabins) and any experince with delays when picking late/midnight? Do both 1 and 2, need credit card in advance and will charge in advance.

2. Also any hotel recommendations please and in safe &  central area-( to get there from airport at night and leave for Piraeus port during day time)

--we just have a day for sight seeing; budget for hotel is $250-$300 approx

- should we look for hotels with breakfast included or just have meals outside.

- We were thinking of Grand Hyatt (but i think its far from core downtown), Novotel; AthensGate is sold out; Amalia; Wyndham - not sure which area to search/focus on hotels - using expedia: Is plaka area, Monastiraki better...?

- should we look close to highway 56 or 91 (looking at map) - hoping to find that we can do most central area by walk for seeing & resturanat and perhaps taxi to something closer downtown (acropolis) and something within 3-4 hours of total drive+sight seeing.

Many thanks in advance!

37 minutes ago, Polos12 said:

Hi to all helping out fellow passengers,

We are expected to arrive at ATH airport near midnight (could be late depending and checked out no metro-train after 11:45PM and sofitel hotel at airport is but expensive and only allows 2 guests (unlike USA hotels)  so thinking of staying in Athens City center (downtown i guess) since we need place for 2 nights before cruise.  From above discussion, it seems there are 2 options:

1. https://athensairport.taxi/faq/   2) https://www.georgestaxi   3) www.welcomepickups.com

It seems georgetaxi provide custom quote and athensairport has fixed quote

Any advice which one to select (6 adults; and their cabins) and any experince with delays when picking late/midnight? Do both 1 and 2, need credit card in advance and will charge in advance.

2. Also any hotel recommendations please and in safe &  central area-( to get there from airport at night and leave for Piraeus port during day time)

--we just have a day for sight seeing; budget for hotel is $250-$300 approx

- should we look for hotels with breakfast included or just have meals outside.

- We were thinking of Grand Hyatt (but i think its far from core downtown), Novotel; AthensGate is sold out; Amalia; Wyndham - not sure which area to search/focus on hotels - using expedia: Is plaka area, Monastiraki better...?

- should we look close to highway 56 or 91 (looking at map) - hoping to find that we can do most central area by walk for seeing & resturanat and perhaps taxi to something closer downtown (acropolis) and something within 3-4 hours of total drive+sight seeing.

Many thanks in advance!

Elia Ermou Athens
Clean, safe, excellent position and reasonably priced.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2023 at 5:23 PM, PORT ROYAL said:

Elia Ermou Athens
Clean, safe, excellent position and reasonably priced.

Thanks for the reference but its not available for those dates...any other that you guys think of nearby.

On 3/10/2023 at 8:38 AM, md3145 said:

Do you have to pay a taxi in cash? Just wondering if we should get money in the states before leaving. Also do you know if they have Ubers in Greece?

Get some cash in the US before leaving so you will have some just in case. 

On 6/29/2021 at 8:50 PM, Lindancer said:

If you do pre-arrange a taxi pickup at airport, you give them your flight number and they will know if your flight has been delayed or what's going on.  No worries.

I booked a hotel through booking.com and because the hotel was over $250, they are supplying a free taxi ride to my hotel.  Apparently, the taxi driver will be there with a sign with my name on it!

Any recommendations on taxi pickup; I read Welcomepickup. Do you mind sharing which hotel you stayed - we are finding Hyat in terms of budget/standard but its a bit far...not sure about most small boutique hotels (because of mixed reviews) unless someone can chime in here for strong recommendation, please. Thanks

1 hour ago, Polos12 said:

Any recommendations on taxi pickup; I read Welcomepickup. Do you mind sharing which hotel you stayed - we are finding Hyat in terms of budget/standard but its a bit far...not sure about most small boutique hotels (because of mixed reviews) unless someone can chime in here for strong recommendation, please. Thanks

One is obviously having an Elm Street, so consider contacting the official Tourist Board in the USA, who will be pleased to support one’s group.  They have access to all Athens information from hotels to cabs… Good Luck

HELLENIC TOURISM ORGANIZATION
OLYMPIC TOWER 645 FIFTH AVENUE, SUITE 903 - NEW YORK, NY 10022 
Tel :(001212) 4215777 
Fax :(001212) 8266940
URL : www.greektourism.com
E-mail : info@greektourism.com

2 hours ago, Polos12 said:

Check taxigreece.com. This is the original George's Taxi. We, and many others, have used this company numerous times.  100% recommend it. 

9 hours ago, Polos12 said:

Well, don't use booking.com like I did.  I paid for an upgrade at my hotel so the price would be over $250, which would give me a free taxi ride to my hotel.  Well, the taxi never showed up so we hung around the airport for way too long, tried to contact booking.com (headquartered in the U.K.), and ended up getting our own cab.  After much ado after we got home, submission of receipts and at least a monthlong wait, I did get reimbursed for my taxi fare.  But that did not make up for such an inauspicious start to our trip, the time wasted, the aggravation and I will never use booking.com again.  

We stayed at Athens Gate and the location was perfect.  Breakfast with the Acropolis in the background wasn't bad either!

• Like 1

The published normal taxi fare during regular hours at the Athens airport is €40 to just grab one and take your chances (normally no problems) to central city. I just got quotes from Welcome Pickups (100% online generated quotes) and George's Taxi aka Taxi Greece (manual quotes via form or email and wait for reply). 

Welcome is much cheaper than George. All quotes are 100% inclusive with no additional charges UNLESS you end up needing or requesting during midnight to 5AM. Any gratuity you want to give is extra. Respective (Welcome/ George):

• €44 / €55 (from airport to central Athens for 2)
  • €61 / €70 (from central Athens to Cruise port for 4)
  • €29 / €40 (from Cruise port to central Athens for 2)

George wants cash Euro payment to driver, but Welcome takes credit card at booking and provides cancellation options. 

Haven't used either but Welcome has 4.9 with 1,791 reviews (Google) and George has 4.7 with 35 reviews (Google).  Welcome has 5.0 on TripAdvisor with 5,366 reviews, and George has 5.0 on TripAdvisor with 3,646 reviews.

I went with Welcome and will report back once we use them. Since we will be staying a block from Monastiraki metro station during our trip, we will also try the Metro on the way back as you can get to the airport without switching lines (€18 for 2 persons).

• Like 1

14 hours ago, pghflyer said:

The published normal taxi fare during regular hours at the Athens airport is €40 to just grab one and take your chances (normally no problems) to central city. I just got quotes from Welcome Pickups (100% online generated quotes) and George's Taxi aka Taxi Greece (manual quotes via form or email and wait for reply). 

Welcome is much cheaper than George. All quotes are 100% inclusive with no additional charges UNLESS you end up needing or requesting during midnight to 5AM. Any gratuity you want to give is extra. Respective (Welcome/ George):

• €44 / €55 (from airport to central Athens for 2)
  • €61 / €70 (from central Athens to Cruise port for 4)
  • €29 / €40 (from Cruise port to central Athens for 2)

George wants cash Euro payment to driver, but Welcome takes credit card at booking and provides cancellation options. 

Haven't used either but Welcome has 4.9 with 1,791 reviews (Google) and George has 4.7 with 35 reviews (Google).  Welcome has 5.0 on TripAdvisor with 5,366 reviews, and George has 5.0 on TripAdvisor with 3,646 reviews.

I went with Welcome and will report back once we use them. Since we will be staying a block from Monastiraki metro station during our trip, we will also try the Metro on the way back as you can get to the airport without switching lines (€18 for 2 persons).

Thanks pghflyer for your updates. By the way, did you have to pay welcome in advance & what happens if the flight is delayed - do they wait for you or still be honoring the quote? Thanks and regards.

Hi,

We are cruising in October and at the recommendation of several cruisers, we have  booked  the Hera Hotel. I was pleased to see that hey have optional services of airport and port transfer which we have booked. We sent them our flight info and they have confirmed our airport pick up already. We can include the cost in our room account.

Just wanted to share this. After use I will report back . The prices seem in line with the George prices quoted above in post #68

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Polos12 said:

Thanks pghflyer for your updates. By the way, did you have to pay welcome in advance & what happens if the flight is delayed - do they wait for you or still be honoring the quote? Thanks and regards.

60 minutes at airport, 30 minutes at port

https://www.welcomepickups.com/terms-of-use/#policies_of_transport_services

We did pay in advance by credit card, which I prefer over paying cash day of.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, pghflyer said:

60 minutes at airport, 30 minutes at port

https://www.welcomepickups.com/terms-of-use/#policies_of_transport_services

We did pay in advance by credit card, which I prefer over paying cash day of.

Thank you pghflyer! The only thing is that they don't have any easy means of contacting them by phone (except for urgency) - no customer service number; however they do want people to download their app and communicate to driver by app - but I may not have my phone data-plan activated or connected to wifi as soon as I land - as you know it could be chaotic/busy to collect our baggage than looking for wifi 🙂 ....what if I need tp reach them as for us its in middle of night 🙂 - by the way another question, how long it takes at ATH airport from landing to come outside the airport - should I give 1 hour (is the airport arrival are quite efficient, I heard they are) myself from landing time to setup pickup time. Thanks and regards for your guidance,

We arrive at 8AM, and I put 9AM for my time plus you also put your flight info which I assume they may watch to some degree.  Depends on how quick you are - if you are in the back of the plane in coach and someone with a wheelchair and a bunch of bags....I might would go longer........I figure no one is getting out any quicker than 30-45 minutes so all just an estimate. The one hour buffer is helpful too, and I figure if we are just waiting for like one bag to come out, one of us can go grab the driver to wait.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, pghflyer said:

We arrive at 8AM, and I put 9AM for my time plus you also put your flight info which I assume they may watch to some degree.  Depends on how quick you are - if you are in the back of the plane in coach and someone with a wheelchair and a bunch of bags....I might would go longer........I figure no one is getting out any quicker than 30-45 minutes so all just an estimate. The one hour buffer is helpful too, and I figure if we are just waiting for like one bag to come out, one of us can go grab the driver to wait.

So do you have their cust service phone# to contact...how you plan to communicate with their drivers when you arrive (meeting point etc)...app, phone etc.? Thanks

21 minutes ago, Polos12 said:

So do you have their cust service phone# to contact...how you plan to communicate with their drivers when you arrive (meeting point etc)...app, phone etc.? Thanks

The drivers of all reputable transfer companies will be waiting for you as you come out of the customs secure area. They will be carrying a sign with your name on it. 

They will also keep track of your flight for any delays, actual landing,  etc.

That is their job. Reputable companies have done this hundreds of times.

Also, hotels that arrange for pick-up do so through a transfer company or private driver.   They do not have their own shuttles. 

• Like 1