Cruising with a 2 yr old

matymil

Looking for some guidance here. My wife and I have a cruise booked for March 2022 however we found a cruise on the Magic at the end of this Sept that we are very interested in. Both my wife and I are vaccinated however our toddler obviously is not. He will be 3 by our planned cruise in Mar 2022 but will still be 2 in Sept. We asked our TA about getting an exemption and she told us according to get source at Carnival that 2 year olds "will not get exemptions, they have to be at least 3". Has anyone on here already applied for an exemption for a child under 3? I would like to hear of any experiences or what others in similar situations have been told. TIA

Edited by matymil

• matymil changed the title to Cruising with a 2 yr old

Depends how many other children are trying to get a exemption. Right now personally I wouldnt book if I had a unvaccinated child until the protocols for unvaccinated are known. Rcl out of nowhere said last friday unvaccinated (and the rest in their party) cant get off the ship for the cruise leaving last Saturday. They were told the day before they left. 2 unvaccinated kids tested positive the week before people will say, they had to .. should have decided sooner. 

Why put yourself in a stressful situation of not knowing? 

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I just heard emergency approval for ages 2 to 11 has been submitted.  Approval expected by this fall. So I'd be ready to have my child vaccinated very soon.

I hope so. Unfortunately by that time it would been after the cruise 

My two cents worth is that I'd wait for a while to book with a toddler, until things settle down and you know for sure that your child can cruise instead of just hoping for an exemption.  Cruising in the US is just barely getting restarted, plus we have the new Delta variant circulating which is far more contagious than the previous mutations, so there are still a lot of uncertainty.  Plus, we all have to admit that while a cruise vacation is great it is hardly one of life's necessities. 

Edited by groundloop
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 7/1/2021 at 2:39 AM, matymil said:

Looking for some guidance here. My wife and I have a cruise booked for March 2022 however we found a cruise on the Magic at the end of this Sept that we are very interested in. Both my wife and I are vaccinated however our toddler obviously is not. He will be 3 by our planned cruise in Mar 2022 but will still be 2 in Sept. We asked our TA about getting an exemption and she told us according to get source at Carnival that 2 year olds "will not get exemptions, they have to be at least 3". Has anyone on here already applied for an exemption for a child under 3? I would like to hear of any experiences or what others in similar situations have been told. TIA

For any cruise in 2021 with children I would personally pass on.  not for any other reason then the guidelines for who will get exemptions and the small number given would be to me a bit stressful as you clearly are already experiencing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 7/1/2021 at 3:39 AM, matymil said:

I’m also booking for Jan 2022 with my toddler! Let me know how it goes! 

On 7/1/2021 at 5:12 AM, firefly333 said:

I just heard emergency approval for ages 2 to 11 has been submitted.  Approval expected by this fall. So I'd be ready to have my child vaccinated very soon.

Yes I’ve heard that too. Our pediatrician was confident our 3yr olds could get one by thanksgiving. But, unfortunately too late for the OP.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2021 at 12:09 PM, cestlavie3 said:

I’m also booking for Jan 2022 with my toddler! Let me know how it goes! 

So we booked it lol! The same person who told me not to is currently on a b2b on the Horizon and she has seen kids/babies of all ages, as young as afew months. I know right now stuff changes daily but as of right now she feels confident that i will be ok.

On 7/11/2021 at 8:39 AM, kelkel2 said:

Yes I’ve heard that too. Our pediatrician was confident our 3yr olds could get one by thanksgiving. But, unfortunately too late for the OP.

Thats good to know. We have a March 22 cruise to.

Vax or not, the activities for young children are suspended for now, since they can't book kids yet, per Carnival's service advisory. 

This refers to Camp Ocean but I thought I read somewhere that the Seuss themed activities are also suspended. 

https://www.carnival.com/Legal/covid-19-legal-notices/covid-19-guest-protocols?icid=advisory_cruisehealth_052521

Edited by zzdoug
Added link