Viking Star is coming to the UK

Staffordshirecruiser

On 7/17/2021 at 2:55 PM, bluesea777 said:

Not sure but the US bookings for Sky and Jupiter prove very successful and they are already or nearly sold out on the Iceland sailings - and maybe they need to reduce the pax count, so they're adding a third ship to the Iceland sailings to help with the demand.

Viking Orion's Bermuda Escape sailings proved very successful so they added 6 extra sailings. These aren't shown in the UK Viking. 

In other news several cruise lines are now disallowing passengers on their ships who, although have been double-jabbed, had mixture of AstraZeneca & Pfizer/Moderno shots.

Some people had to have a mix of vaccines if they had a reaction to the first one, or it was contraindicated for them to have a second dose.  Usually AZ first then Pfizer/moderna.   Should be relatively tiny numbers affected though. Seems harsh if there’s a medical reason for it. 

Yes such as they are.  Only the included ones and except for the Scilly Isles all coach trips with an occasional photo stop..  Even Liverpool is a coach instead of a walking tour.  The Falmouth day they previously had a garden and the supplementary trips have gone.   Someone is seriously worried about things.  It looks like there is no chance of going ashore by ourselves.  

I also wonder why the site was down over the last few days and is down once again for updates.  I just so hope we are not heading for cancellation.

Having said all that we personally are not too worried about the excursions.  We are in need of a cruise and sea air more.  We used to live in Cheshire before moving to Derby and know Liverpool well, and quite by chance we are in Falmouth the week before the cruise on a long ago booked holiday.  I am however looking forward to the Scillies which we have not visited before.

18 hours ago, mancunian said:

Yes such as they are.  Only the included ones and except for the Scilly Isles all coach trips with an occasional photo stop..  Even Liverpool is a coach instead of a walking tour.  The Falmouth day they previously had a garden and the supplementary trips have gone.   Someone is seriously worried about things.  It looks like there is no chance of going ashore by ourselves.  

I also wonder why the site was down over the last few days and is down once again for updates.  I just so hope we are not heading for cancellation.

Having said all that we personally are not too worried about the excursions.  We are in need of a cruise and sea air more.  We used to live in Cheshire before moving to Derby and know Liverpool well, and quite by chance we are in Falmouth the week before the cruise on a long ago booked holiday.  I am however looking forward to the Scillies which we have not visited before.

I've seen several comments suggesting that the optional tours will only be available to book once you are on board. That may explain why only the included tours are showing up on MVJ at the moment.

Another explanation may be related to what grade your stateroom is because they release the optional shore excursions progressively from the highest grade cabins downwards. So if you are in a V1, V2 or DV cabin you may not be able to access the excursions just yet.

I would hold fire for a bit and se what develops.

I think it unlikely that VIking would eschew offering those optional tours where they can generate a bit of additional revenue.

4 hours ago, arlowood said:

Another explanation may be related to what grade your stateroom is because they release the optional shore excursions progressively from the highest grade cabins downwards. So if you are in a V1, V2 or DV cabin you may not be able to access the excursions just yet.

This is in my invoice from Viking:

Effective June 1, 2021, we will temporarily disable the stateroom category function for shore excursion reservations in order to accommodate the short timeframe for the restart of our cruise operations. This change only applies to cruises departing through October 10, 2021. All guests will be notified via email when shore excursions are available for their cruise.

Tom

Had a letter today from Viking re booking embarkat

ion times bejtween 8,30 and 12.00 - half hour slots.  It seems different to what we have seen on videos or heard on the boards where people seem to have been tested as soon as they reach the cabins.  We are to be tested shoreside and then sit and await the results.

I have still not seen any optional shore excursions and we are in a Pjs cabin.  I agree with Tom that I think they have dropped that.   I was more worried from the point of view of it meaning they had tightened things since the earlier UK cruises.  We really just want a good rest and good food as one way and another we have had a tough year with extra forages round the corner to Mamsens and the bar.

I have asked on the Iceland Live thread if someone would ask onboard why Star is in Iceland,  I am sure the officers and possibly crew know the answer to this.

• Like 1

Actually I will add that as we are being tested onshore and not when we reach our cabins as previously that the included excursions for Liverpool and Falmouth seem more restricted I think things are going to be tighter on these cruises

On 7/19/2021 at 7:05 PM, mancunian said:

We did the British Isles trip in June and took the included Liverpool and Falmouth trips.

There was no visit to a garden on the Falmouth trip.

The trips on the English scenic sound exactly the same as those on our British Isles cruise.

It was made clear that there would be no independent touring or leaving the tours bubble.

Like you we needed a change of scene, to be back at sea and some r&r.

The cruise fulfilled all of those criteria, that’s why we’ve booked the English Scenic for next month.

Don’t stress over why the Star is currently in Iceland, I’m confident that come August 7th it will be waiting in Portsmouth to pick up its passengers.

Edited by Glenndale

15 minutes ago, Staffordshirecruiser said:

Mancunian, Glendale, the email I received today advised that optional excursions would be bootable on board.

Yes I assume we all received the same email. We booked our arrival slots.

I do not know which of us misread it but it was listed together with everything else and I thought it implied before boarding and then sitting waiting for the results.  I had thought from the Ben and David and the visit with us videos after they completed the test in the cabin they were free to set off round the ship.

I was also puzzled when we booked a time that they are between 8,30 and 12.30.  I had expected them to be much later.  At 8,30 the previous passengers will be leaving and they would be on full cleaning.  We are driving from Falmouth where we are on holiday the previous week.   Think we will have to leave at the crack of dawn to make it.  Apparently it takes four and a half hours and then getting the car parked.  

Wondering how many people there will be.  Still many cabins left

Hi, we were the last off in June at 8:30, and people were just starting to enter the terminal to start their cruise, so it all worked seamlessly.  It’s certainly quite a treck from Falmouth.

I am not sure how bookings are going?  Cunard cancelled a sailing on 6 Aug, so a number of people may choose to give Viking a try.

8 hours ago, Staffordshirecruiser said:

Hi, we were the last off in June at 8:30, and people were just starting to enter the terminal to start their cruise, so it all worked seamlessly.  It’s certainly quite a treck from Falmouth.

I am not sure how bookings are going?  Cunard cancelled a sailing on 6 Aug, so a number of people may choose to give Viking a try.

I am one of those people who have ‘moved over’ from the 6th August cancelled Cunard sailing, and are very much looking forward to our Viking trip. We are currently on a Celebrity UK sailing and are in Liverpool today. We are so lucky in that the weather has been so glorious for our cruise this week.

I am disappointed that there is no Isles of Scilly excursion to book as that is the one I am most interested in.

I have booked our embarkation slot. We are only 90 minutes drive away but, as said, they do seem very early.

Dear Viking Guest

Thank you for choosing to travel with Viking. and we are looking forward to welcoming you on board.

If you have not already done so, we would like to invite you to pre-book your included shore excursions, dining, and spa reservations via MyVikingJourney. A variety of optional excursions will also be available for you to choose from and these can be booked and paid for once you are on board.

We would also like to take this opportunity to update you on the additional boarding procedures and requirements for your sailing.

As you may already be aware, in line with Viking's enhanced COVID-19 protocols, all guests must adhere to a dedicated time slot for embarkation. This will ensure a seamless check-in for all our guests while maintaining social distancing and reduce congestions at the terminal. Embarkation slots for your voyage are now open for booking, and this can be done via the Shore Excursion section of your MyVikingJourney account.

Health and COVID-19 screenings will take place for all guests, which will require a non-invasive PCR test, contactless temperature check and verification of your pre-travel health questionnaire. Please note that due to the length of time required for testing to be completed, all guests must arrive to the port at their prebooked embarkation time. The latest arrival time permitted to the port will be 12pm.

As a reminder, these sailings are only available for guests who have had their full COVID-19 vaccination, at least 14 days prior to departure. If this is not the case, please contact us immediately via 0800 319 66 60.

You will be asked for proof of your vaccination dates or prior to embarkation. Confirmation of your vaccine dates can be found on the NHS app or letter. You can download the  link to the app here, or obtain a COVID pass letter by calling 119.

A final requirement for boarding will be completion of a health questionnaire. This will be available for you to complete via your MyVikingJourney account from 7 days prior to departure, and we ask that this is completed prior to travel to avoid delays at embarkation.

Should you have any questions before your departure, please contact Guest Services on 020 8780 7900.

Thank you for traveling with Viking; we wish you a wonderful journey.

Yours sincerely,

Guest Services
Viking UK

Above the email we received, I cannot see anywhere where it states that the PCR test will be taken on shore. On our Viking cruise in June we took our tests in the cabin, handed them to our attendant and were then free to go for lunch. 

We were very impressed with Vikings safeguards.

As far as our Scilly Isles stop, we don't anchor until 1pm and there will probably be only time for one excursion. As we wanted to visit the gardens anyway we are happy with the included excursion.

I've booked for the 14th, it will be our first Viking cruise.

I was quite surprised I couldn't pay online when I booked and I've now been stuck on hold for 40 minutes, trying to get through to actually give them some money. I'm starting to wonder if I've made the right decision as it hasn't really been the experience I was expecting 😕

4 minutes ago, InVelvetSlumber said:

I've booked for the 14th, it will be our first Viking cruise.

I was quite surprised I couldn't pay online when I booked and I've now been stuck on hold for 40 minutes, trying to get through to actually give them some money. I'm starting to wonder if I've made the right decision as it hasn't really been the experience I was expecting 😕

Don't worry I doubt that they will let you on board without paying. 😁

We're on the 14th sailing too.

Pretty sure you will enjoy the cruise in spite of Covid.

Just to addd our experience, we were on exactly the same cruise in June-the last one before The Venus left for Malta. Everything was incredibly well organised. 
We are repeating it on 14 Aug as it was so enjoyable. Everything I have received and read so far indicates exactly the same processes and protocols ie

only included excursions available before boarding , PCR test in cabin after boarding, early boarding to allow for PCR processing. The PCR tests take a few hours to process so you are free to leave the cabin once you have handed over your test tube. Viking sends out very good info sheets with everything detailed as you approach your cruise date. 

The included Scillies tour to Tresco gardens is great. We are doing it again. Alternative tours, to St Mary’s for example, could be booked on board. And we were free to walk around at Tresco once we were  off the local boat transfer rather than stay in a group. 

Re the website, app etc- they are constantly working on them as there are a few bugs that need sorting so they are both occasionally unavailable from time to time. Things have had to be changed for the UK market/cruises so we were told. 

Hope this info helps. It’s a great cruise with very slick Covid protocols that just become part of a quick daily routine  ie do your test, fill in a short daily health form, get your temperature taken at a machine you stand in front of.  Plus the usual hand washing, masks when walking around etc. 

1 hour ago, Glenndale said:

Dear Viking Guest

Thank you for choosing to travel with Viking. and we are looking forward to welcoming you on board.

If you have not already done so, we would like to invite you to pre-book your included shore excursions, dining, and spa reservations via MyVikingJourney. A variety of optional excursions will also be available for you to choose from and these can be booked and paid for once you are on board.

We would also like to take this opportunity to update you on the additional boarding procedures and requirements for your sailing.

As you may already be aware, in line with Viking's enhanced COVID-19 protocols, all guests must adhere to a dedicated time slot for embarkation. This will ensure a seamless check-in for all our guests while maintaining social distancing and reduce congestions at the terminal. Embarkation slots for your voyage are now open for booking, and this can be done via the Shore Excursion section of your MyVikingJourney account.

Health and COVID-19 screenings will take place for all guests, which will require a non-invasive PCR test, contactless temperature check and verification of your pre-travel health questionnaire. Please note that due to the length of time required for testing to be completed, all guests must arrive to the port at their prebooked embarkation time. The latest arrival time permitted to the port will be 12pm.

As a reminder, these sailings are only available for guests who have had their full COVID-19 vaccination, at least 14 days prior to departure. If this is not the case, please contact us immediately via 0800 319 66 60.

You will be asked for proof of your vaccination dates or prior to embarkation. Confirmation of your vaccine dates can be found on the NHS app or letter. You can download the  link to the app here, or obtain a COVID pass letter by calling 119.

A final requirement for boarding will be completion of a health questionnaire. This will be available for you to complete via your MyVikingJourney account from 7 days prior to departure, and we ask that this is completed prior to travel to avoid delays at embarkation.

Should you have any questions before your departure, please contact Guest Services on 020 8780 7900.

Yours sincerely,

Guest Services
Viking UK

Above the email we received, I cannot see anywhere where it states that the PCR test will be taken on shore. On our Viking cruise in June we took our tests in the cabin, handed them to our attendant and were then free to go for lunch. 

As far as our Scilly Isles stop, we don't anchor until 1pm and there will probably be only time for one excursion. As we wanted to visit the gardens anyway we are happy with the included excursion.

Yes I can't imagine they would have changed the protocol to take the PCR test in the terminal and have passengers wait there for the result before allowing them to board. From my experience of the 5th June sailing on Venus the Portsmouth terminal is quite small and I can't see them being able to cope with what could be several hundred passengers hanging around for a few hours.

On the 5th June sailing we took the test on board and even then, with only 400 or so passengers it took them until late evening to process all the tests - we did not sail until about 10.45pm. Also I'm not sure what eating facilities are available at the terminal

3 hours ago, Glenndale said:

Dear Viking Guest

Yours sincerely,

Guest Services
Viking UK

The Tresco Abbey Gardens are wonderful.  Try and make sure you're on an early tender though. We were assigned the 4.30 one, which meant we had to really hustle round in order to be back on time - the people who went earlier had all afternoon. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Glenndale said:

Don't worry I doubt that they will let you on board without paying. 😁

We're on the 14th sailing too.

Pretty sure you will enjoy the cruise in spite of Covid.

That's precisely why I am worrying 😆, the booking will apparently expire this evening if I do not pay for it.

hi,

We will be joining on the 14 August cruise and it will be our first time sailing with Viking 🙂

We mainly want to have a relaxing time, find out more about Viking Ocean, and are not that bothered about going off the ship but will probably join the included Scillies excursion. 

We are also using this sailing to see how comfortable we feel to be on a cruise again! Viking seems to have good COVID protocols in place (and we are going into a self imposed isolation the week before ....)

Managed to book our dinner reservations and embarkation time. Think that someone mentioned (maybe it was on another thread) that there is a Viking code for parking in Portsmouth? Would any of you be able to point us in the right direction for this?

Thanks, Alsun

12 minutes ago, InVelvetSlumber said:

That's precisely why I am worrying 😆, the booking will apparently expire this evening if I do not pay for it.

Keep trying, I'm sure you'll get through 🤞

Maybe select the option for a new booking?

10 minutes ago, Alsun said:

hi,

We will be joining on the 14 August cruise and it will be our first time sailing with Viking 🙂

We mainly want to have a relaxing time, find out more about Viking Ocean, and are not that bothered about going off the ship but will probably join the included Scillies excursion. 

We are also using this sailing to see how comfortable we feel to be on a cruise again! Viking seems to have good COVID protocols in place (and we are going into a self imposed isolation the week before ....)

Managed to book our dinner reservations and embarkation time. Think that someone mentioned (maybe it was on another thread) that there is a Viking code for parking in Portsmouth? Would any of you be able to point us in the right direction for this?

Thanks, Alsun

Just visit the Apcoa site

https://portsmouth.apcoa.co.uk/

Put in the start / end dates and select the Viking Star cruise offer - £60

Edited by Glenndale