Viking Star is coming to the UK

Staffordshirecruiser

15 minutes ago, ospreycruiser said:

We have booked for the alternatives but is it essential for dinner in the main restaurant? (Viking Star 14 Aug). We prefer to turn up at short notice and prefer table for two.

What are the Chefs Tables menus for our cruise please?

1 hour ago, ospreycruiser said:

We have booked for the alternatives but is it essential for dinner in the main restaurant? (Viking Star 14 Aug). We prefer to turn up at short notice and prefer table for two.

On our June 5th sailing on Venus we just rolled up at the Main Restaurant whenever we felt like it - no need to book then. However I  believe the numbers on board will be greater on the August cruises so we have booked some slots just in case. I don't expect there will be a problem tho.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ospreycruiser said:

It would be interesting to hear about the embarkation experience, including testing, from anyone sailing on the Star Aug 7th. We are on the similar cruise one week later. 

We are on that one, most people on here seem to be on the following ones. 
We were sent an email about using VeriFly - have you received that?

I will try and post about our experience on the 7th.

Just booked yesterday for August 7th, was offered embarkation from 8:30am onwards, they are using half hour slots and can be booked or changed on manage your cruise. The agent said that on embarkation we would be shown to the stateroom for a PCR test, asked to wait until informed all clear (hopefully) and then given the ok to enjoy the ship.
I received the email about the VeriFly app and have downloaded it and uploaded the requested info. The app says we have have given them all the necessary info.

I made the cruise booking online but had to phone them the next day to give payment, I was on hold for 45 minutes but when connected found the Viking phone operative most helpful and well informed. She did say that Covid rules were constantly under review and it could even be possible that guests might be allowed to self tour in ports but I'm quite sceptical about this in present conditions.

We are very much looking forwards to our first Viking experience.

1 hour ago, downsmead said:

Thanks Downsmead. Not sure about Verifly. When I booked on the phone they said NHS vaccination letter was acceptable.

I was not told about VeriFly when speaking to the agent but the email request arrived a few hours later. Perhaps this is one of their constantly under review decisions, I am presuming that Covid vaccine certificates will not now need to be seen at embarkation. They will however be with me just in case!

On 7/21/2021 at 3:36 PM, Staffordshirecruiser said:

Hi Alsun, we took the June cruise asa a test cruise in much the same way are you are.  We enjoyed it so much we have booked a back to back in August.  It is a real haven in these tricky times.  I hope you find it the same?

We definitely hope so!

Very curious about sailing with Viking. It’s a good sign that you enjoyed the June cruise so much (even under current protocols) to join again in August. Perhaps we’ll meet on board.

Hi Alsun, I don’t know if you have watched Gary on Tips for Travelers, he was on our cruise and did a great video on Venus and Viking in a Covid world which explains how he found the experience.  Ben and David wee also on board and  did a video which could give you another fun viewpoint.

15 hours ago, Staffordshirecruiser said:

Hi Alsun, I don’t know if you have watched Gary on Tips for Travelers, he was on our cruise and did a great video on Venus and Viking in a Covid world which explains how he found the experience.  Ben and David wee also on board and  did a video which could give you another fun viewpoint.

We saw one video about the positive case during one of the Iceland cruises but haven’t seen anything else. Where could we find the videos you refer too?

Does anyone know when we can expect our luggage tags etc for the 14th August sailing? I know it’s still 3 weeks to go but it does add to the pre-travel excitement!

22 hours ago, downsmead said:

It would be great to hear about your experience on the 7th August sailing, especially re all the COVID protocols. 

Also whether they will sail at full capacity or not (pure curiosity, even if full, 930 pax isn’t what you would call crowded). There are still cabins showing as available but of course one doesn’t know how many were offered as available by Viking! 

17 minutes ago, Alsun said:

We saw one video about the positive case during one of the Iceland cruises but haven’t seen anything else. Where could we find the videos you refer too?

Does anyone know when we can expect our luggage tags etc for the 14th August sailing? I know it’s still 3 weeks to go but it does add to the pre-travel excitement!

We're on 14th August sailing and received our luggage tags at the beginning of this week. In theory you should have had them but I've seen news of postal delays in some areas due to the "pingdemic" so I would not worry too much.

To answer your second post, I had heard that Viking were planning to run these cruises closer to full capacity than those on Viking Venus in June. However they are still promoting them regularly on that other platform and when you check the 7th and 14th sailings they still have plenty of availability in the V and DV cabins. Less in the PV and suites. So my guess is that we will probably not sail at full capacity. The 21st sailing is not showing up on the link they give so I don't know the status of that one.

Sorry, 2 more questions as we are new to Viking (tried to find answers in the new to Viking thread but it’s such a long thread …47 pages..)

Do I understand correctly there is no kettle in the room? Can we ask for one or just use room service? 

I sometimes like a swim in the morning. Do I need to change near the pool or would it be acceptable to walk in my swimsuit - covered up nicely with a “wrap around”  -  from our room (deck 4) to the pool?

1 hour ago, Alsun said:

Here's one of Ben & David's - you should be able to find any others that they've recently done by looking at their Video list:-

Jim Zim is my favourite cruise blogger... try this:-

and the other one you mention is Gary Bembridge (Tips for Travellers) who is a bit Marmite (I'm not a huge fan!)

Hope this helps!

Jammy

Booked yesterday for the 14th Aug sailing, our first on Viking, we’re usually on NCL but not willing to go overseas just yet.

I got our TA to ask about capacity and she was told that they were setting it at 50% but that might increase closer to sailing time.

TBH the tours are secondary and I just need a week sitting on my arse having someone else do the cooking and pouring drinks whilst I stare at the view.

I take it Viking is a pretty casual type outfit, that’s what we’re used to, I don’t go on holiday to wear a ball gown 😉

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Taunton Trotter said:

I take it Viking is a pretty casual type outfit, that’s what we’re used to, I don’t go on holiday to wear a ball gown 😉

Not sure if you're male or female... but either way, you don't need to pack the ballgown!   I've done just over 8 weeks on Viking oceans cruises - love the casual dress code.  No need to pack the high heels or sequins - though I think beachwear and denim jeans may not be allowed in the restaurants, but would be OK in World Cafe.  My OH took a jacket and tie on our first Viking Oceans cruise.  He wore it once, and felt out of place.  

We've only done one NCL cruise.  It was OK, but Viking is SO much better in all respects, though if you like a party atmosphere you might be disappointed!  If you're intending just to eat, drink, and relax, you will LOVE it.  Let us know, afterwards.  I am envious, but we're not even happy to go on UK cruises yet, mainly due to long distance travel to the port. 

33 minutes ago, Jammy Bun said:

Not sure if you're male or female... but either way, you don't need to pack the ballgown!   I've done just over 8 weeks on Viking oceans cruises - love the casual dress code.  No need to pack the high heels or sequins - though I think beachwear and denim jeans may not be allowed in the restaurants, but would be OK in World Cafe.  My OH took a jacket and tie on our first Viking Oceans cruise.  He wore it once, and felt out of place.  

We've only done one NCL cruise.  It was OK, but Viking is SO much better in all respects, though if you like a party atmosphere you might be disappointed!  If you're intending just to eat, drink, and relax, you will LOVE it.  Let us know, afterwards.  I am envious, but we're not even happy to go on UK cruises yet, mainly due to long distance travel to the port. 

I’m a girl but not a girly girl.  Sounds same as NCL, smart casual in the dining room.  OH tends to go smart polo and chinos. I won’t consider P&O and Cunard for the dress code.
We’re not party people but we won’t want to be in bed by 9 which we found the norm on a couple of River Cruises (but not Viking).

Working in the NHS I have been flat out the last 18 months and I just need a week of chill out time.  We live about a 2.5 hour drive from Portsmouth so it’s not even an overnighter.

We don’t do the mega ships, the 2500 passenger ones are our max, the fave being the Spirit which is under 2000.  Anything much bigger is 😱 so I will be interested to see how Viking compares. 

• Like 2

Thanks everyone, looks like we have some videos to watch whilst we await our luggage tags….😊

50% capacity sounds great but we are not expecting it. As said before 930 isn’t exactly crowded. We usually prefer smaller ships (the largest we’ve been on had about 2800 pax and the smallest had 550 but that was a maiden voyage).

Looking forward to experience Viking.

• Like 2

Another Viking virgin here. We are on the 7th August sailing, I grin every time I think about it. All our previous cruises have been NCL but I think Viking will be a very good fit for us. 

Like you Taunton Trotter, we are just looking to relax after a long 18 months of being so careful. Watching the world go by with a book during the day, a little entertainment in the evening. Definitely not party people. 

Our last meal out was February 2020 and I still won’t go to restaurants here, even to eat outside. It is the food I am most looking forward to on the ship, the simple pleasure we used to take for granted of choosing from a menu and having a lovely meal set down in front of you.

We live in the north west of Ireland and would never have contemplated the 600 mile drive to the port in the before times but what with one thing and another it now seems an entirely reasonable way to have the most Covid safe holiday possible. 

We have booked the Apcoa/Viking parking deal at Portsmouth. It seems that we are to drive directly to the car park on arrival. Does anybody know if it is feasible to drop off the luggage at the terminal before entering the car park, or are there porters to transfer bags from the car park to the ship?  Although not disabled we may struggle with heavy suitcases.

Hi Osprey, it is really well organised and they have a really good process. You follow the signs that take to to the entry to the car park,  you are ticked off on their list and shown which way to go to park.  Once parked your bags are taken away by the porters and your car is photographed, and then you have a short walk to the port building of no more than a couple of minutes.  I am sure the porters will lift your bags out of the car and look after you.  Just ask if there is anything else you are uncertain of?