Viking Star is coming to the UK

Staffordshirecruiser

It is great to read about your experiences so far Noosey, amelia3171 (and staffordshirecruise on the other Viking Star thread). Thank you so much!

Would any of you be able to upload a daily? Am curious what kind of activities are being offered on board at the moment. (Am still awaiting approval to join the group on the book not to be named….so apologies if it has already been posted there…)

Are any additional excursions offered once onboard? If not, I wonder if port days the ship will be busier than normal as more pax might stay on board and if any other/special activities are offered. Although with such low number of passengers I guess “busy” isn’t really the term to use!  

We have done our health questionnaire, uploaded our photo and have printed our boarding pass. Parking has been booked. Precautionary self isolation ongoing. So aside from packing - and impatiently waiting till Sat - we’re ready to go 😆

Meanwhile hope any of you currently on board will have some time to post some more info and/or photos but only if you are not too busy enjoying yourselves…

For optional excursions for your cruise,which can be booked on board,I would suggest looking at the viking ocean cruise web site for your particular trip.

Those listed by each day will most likely be the ones available.

See what you fancy before you leave home and then scurry along to guest services soon as you can to stake your place.

We did Corfe Castle from Portland .Viking put on a full size coach for just 5 of us.

About 300 guests so all trips should have places.

Port Sunlight in Liverpool today apparently is running with 6 guests.

Edited by sugarside
  • Like 1

Many thanks Amelia.  I had no problem reading it and found looking at the lectures and music really interesting and canno wait to be there.  

Please cam you answer the important question as to whether we are allowed on shore to do our own thing.

Many thanks

Angela

We have been in Liverpool today, only those on tours could leave the ship. We have had no indication that things will change in the other ports on this cruise. As a point of interest we were told that those on Celebrity Silhouette yesterday in Liverpool were able to leave the ship and do their own thing. We commend Viking on being very Covid aware, first thing each morning guests must produce enough saliva to exceed a 2mm line in a test tube for the onboard lab to do the PCR testing along with the now common mask wearing and social distancing measures throughout the ship. Interestingly salt and pepper mills are still on all dining tables, I think many other ships have removed them.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, amelia3171 said:

Sorry, hopefully this works ...

SATURDAY.pdf 5.37 MB · 1 download

Thank you so much, amelia3171, for re-posting the Saturday Daily (Day 1). It has a lot of necessary information. The file works. Not sure why there is a blue-colored background, but it is still easy to read the pages. Thank you again.

9 minutes ago, amelia3171 said:

You are welcome PeabodyMa. Don't know why it is blue either ... 

Hopefully Monday attached ... 

Monday, August 9, 2021.pdf 4.79 MB · 1 download

Great! Perfectly readable, although still blue background. No sense wasting your precious cruise time to figure out blue background. We can read the PDF without any problems. Thank you for sharing the Viking Dailys. Enjoy! 

Edited by PeabodyMa

I see in today’s daily (Tue) that there is a wine tasting and that an additional charge may be applied.

Does anyone know whether the drinks package would cover that charge or if not how much it would cost? 

Thanks

11 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

I noted in the Viking Daily that purchases and services are subject to VAT. Is that all onboard purchases - drinks, shops, shore-ex?

I believe ships docked in the UK pay VAT on various items.  Not sure what but usually alcohol and gift shops but not maybe excursions.  Really didn't notice anything in 2019 as all was already included and paid for.  

Gift shops are adding 20%VAT, the jewellery shop is advertising it will pay the VAT 😂.

I cannot say about drinks as we have a SSP, purchased prior to the cruise.

Excursions - again not sure as there is only one price for each and nothing to compare it to.

• Like 1

We are on the 21st August cruise and received a notification on MVJ to say excursions are available to book but there is nothing for Holyhead as yet. We checked with our TA and they advise that Viking think they will be available in a few days.... or on board!! Has anyone else heard anything about Holyhead other than it will be a tender? or is this port about to be scrapped too?

For those who will be boarding this or next Saturday, I would recommend to print out / download a (pdf) copy of your vaccination status via the NHS app.

Assume that our vacc status will be (re)checked whilst boarding and read somewhere that the NHS app was down for a couple of hours last week so having a printed copy might be safer than relying on access to the App itself ……

Btw, we didn’t download the Verifly app (our TA told us NHS app/proof was ok) but got a phone call from Viking earlier this week- basically double checking the info already provided by us on the health Q.

Edited by Alsun

1 hour ago, Alsun said:

For those who will be boarding this or next Saturday, I would recommend to print out / download a (pdf) copy of your vaccination status via the NHS app.

Assume that our vacc status will be (re)checked whilst boarding and read somewhere that the NHS app was down for a couple of hours last week so having a printed copy might be safer than relying on access to the App itself ……

Btw, we didn’t download the Verifly app (our TA told us NHS app/proof was ok) but got a phone call from Viking earlier this week- basically double checking the info already provided by us on the health Q.

I also declined the Verifly app and received the same phone call checking vaccination status. While on the phone I asked about facilities at the car park. He said there was no luggage transfer to the terminal and it was a 5 minute walk. I will therefore drop off the luggage at the terminal and then navigate the one way system back to the car park.

• Like 1