PCR and Antigen test

MStarzky

Has anyone flown out of Pearson YYZ in the last year that had to get a negative covid test? The CDC website says that either a negative PCR or antigen test is required to enter. I know switch health out of pearson offers both but I was wondering if the 40$ antigen test from shoppers drugmart would suffice as well. I just cant get in contact with anyone at air canada or the airport to ask if the antigen test is recognized by air canada as a valid test to take.

The Air Canada not only accepts antigen test, but it is currently promoting their availability at a number of Canadian airports. They've partnered with Switch Health at Pearson, but an antigen test from any provider meets the requirement.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

The Air Canada not only accepts antigen test, but it is currently promoting their availability at a number of Canadian airports. They've partnered with Switch Health at Pearson, but an antigen test from any provider meets the requirement.

Hopefully this option will be expanded soon to have testing at the "newly approved" international airports (eg. Ottawa) 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

alright so i guess shoppers is good to go, I can just walk in anytime and get it. Thanks for the info.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Josie201 said:

Hopefully this option will be expanded soon to have testing at the "newly approved" international airports (eg. Ottawa) 

With a Shoppers a two minute drive away, I'd probably get tested there to avoid potential delays at the airport, but it was great to see YOW opening up for international flights again!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

With a Shoppers a two minute drive away, I'd probably get tested there to avoid potential delays at the airport, but it was great to see YOW opening up for international flights again!

Agree re SDM.  The website indicates that supplies may be limited or spotty, so I hope ours has them on hand.  I guess I will plan to call first.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Josie201 said:

Agree re SDM.  The website indicates that supplies may be limited or spotty, so I hope ours has them on hand.  I guess I will plan to call first.

I'd like to think that now the borders are opening and travellers still need tests that they will have more supply.

It's an easy cash grab and something that is worth the price since without you can't fly.

(trying to be positive 🙂

• Like 1

We flew to Houston on Sunday.  We did not see any Switch Health at Pearson.  Could have been there but not front and centre.  Our research showed it was closed but was to reopen.  We provided a PCR test as that is the test that Air Canada would accept.  US Customs did not ask to see any tests nor vaccination records.  Have all documents printed as they were not accepting documents electronically on your phone.

• Like 2

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/book/travel-news-and-updates/2020/covid-19.html#/region-1

Yes, according to Air Canada's web site, an antigen test is accepted.  The reason we took the PCR test was because the Antigen test can sometimes provide a false positive.  Our pharmacist indicated he has seen a couple of them with the quick test.  The probability is low, but we did not want any disruption to our travel plans.  

I can't imagine being at the airport, getting tested and getting a positive, false or real.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MStarzky said:

Well I guess we'll see what happens when i get my antigen test next week. I'm flying out Aug 1.

I’d be grateful if you could report back as my husband believes a PCR test is required despite evidence to the contrary!   CDC, State Dept and Air Canada verbiage notwithstanding.  Haha.  

• Like 3

12 hours ago, MStarzky said:

you are correct I'm getting the test next friday

Everything I hear says the Shoppers Drug Mart rapid antigen test for $40 is totally fine for flying to the US (according to the Air Canada rep. I spoke with).  Please let us know how your flight goes on August 1st.  Have a wonderful cruise.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Russ Lomas said:

Everything I hear says the Shoppers Drug Mart rapid antigen test for $40 is totally fine for flying to the US (according to the Air Canada rep. I spoke with).  Please let us know how your flight goes on August 1st.  Have a wonderful cruise.

CDC Rules https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

If you plan to travel internationally, you will need to get tested no more than 3 days before you travel by air into the United States (US) and show your negative result to the airline before you board your flight, or be prepared to show documentation of recovery (proof of a recent positive viral test and a letter from your healthcare provider or a public health official stating that you were cleared to travel).

What types of SARS-CoV-2 test are acceptable under the Order?

Passengers must be tested with a viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT). Examples of available NAATs for SARS-CoV-2 include but are not restricted to reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP), transcription-mediated amplification (TMA), nicking enzyme amplification reaction (NEAR), and helicase-dependent amplification (HDA). The test used must be authorized for use by the relevant national authority for the detection of SARS-CoV-2 in the country where the test is administered. A viral test conducted for U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) personnel, including DOD contractors, dependents, and other U.S. government employees, and tested by a DOD laboratory located in a foreign country also meets the requirements of the Order.

2 hours ago, K_e_short said:

CDC Rules https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

If you plan to travel internationally, you will need to get tested no more than 3 days before you travel by air into the United States (US) and show your negative result to the airline before you board your flight, or be prepared to show documentation of recovery (proof of a recent positive viral test and a letter from your healthcare provider or a public health official stating that you were cleared to travel).

What types of SARS-CoV-2 test are acceptable under the Order?

Passengers must be tested with a viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT). Examples of available NAATs for SARS-CoV-2 include but are not restricted to reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP), transcription-mediated amplification (TMA), nicking enzyme amplification reaction (NEAR), and helicase-dependent amplification (HDA). The test used must be authorized for use by the relevant national authority for the detection of SARS-CoV-2 in the country where the test is administered. A viral test conducted for U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) personnel, including DOD contractors, dependents, and other U.S. government employees, and tested by a DOD laboratory located in a foreign country also meets the requirements of the Order.

I am not a medical doctor, so when I read that mumbo-jumbo, I called the US border patrol and Air Canada.  They both confirmed a valid rapid antigen test (like the $40 one at Shoppers) will suffice if done within 72 hours before your flight departure from Canada.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Russ Lomas said:

I am not a medical doctor, so when I read that mumbo-jumbo, I called the US border patrol and Air Canada.  They both confirmed a valid rapid antigen test (like the $40 one at Shoppers) will suffice if done within 72 hours before your flight departure from Canada.

Thats what I posted 🙂

12 minutes ago, MStarzky said:

So i got the rapid antigen test from shoppers, I do not have covid so I am good to get on the plane. It took 15 mins and they stick the swab pretty far up your nose.

Yes they do,  our great Grandson who is 4 had to get a swab done  at the hospital, he sure didn't like it and clocked the nurse !

• Like 1

On 7/30/2021 at 12:27 PM, MStarzky said:

So i got the rapid antigen test from shoppers, I do not have covid so I am good to get on the plane. It took 15 mins and they stick the swab pretty far up your nose.

It is not fun! Can you tell me which Shoppers you went to please, by the Mall or South Georgetown?

• Like 1