CHARTER CRUISE .. ANYONE TAKEN ONE BEFORE. QE18 th Oct to 1 NOV

seapals2

If this helps any, the only recent Cunard charter cruises I am aware of were called "Stars at Sea" cruises. Those have been 5-night round trip cruises from Hamburg catering to the German market. Three of those cruises (in 2013, 2015 and 2018) featured the German rock star Peter Maffay and the other two (in 2017 and 2019) featured German violinist David Garrett.

Since those were charters for the German market, you may not get too much feed back about them from this forum. I can tell you there was some lively discussion on here about the first of those "Stars at Sea" cruises with Peter Maffay when the dress code was advertised as "Jeans on!". Translating from the German, it said "Jeans are allowed in all restaurants and there is no need for a jacket!"

Now I'm not expecting anything similar for your 18th Oct QE charter. The reassurance you received from Cunard is helpful in that regard.

• Like 2

I forgot one other recent Cunard charter. That was a QM2 charter in 2017 from Saint-Nazaire to New York called "The Bridge 2017". That involved a "race" between QM2 and four trimarans to help commemorate the 100th anniversary of the first landing of troops from the American Expeditionary Forces in Saint-Nazaire during World War I.

Since that charter was for the French market, it may not prompt much feed back from this forum either.

• Like 2

One thing that might be different is the passenger numbers on the ship. The agency who I won't name despite their actions now being a matter of public record are faced with having to sell all the cabins and in this climate within 3 months. Consider for a second all the countless UK agencies can't sell between them every cabin on the more popular cruises QM2 cruises

Also will the agency have the final say on masks, distancing, et al? I do not know.

My wife and I are booked on this cruise in a PG cabin. ( a first for us)

I have been informed by the TA that the normal Cunard high level of service will be maintained, as after all its their  (Cunard's) reputation at stake should any things be substandard.

The cruise itself offers some very good entertainment ( Michael Ball, Paul Potts, Eamonn Holmes and Bjorn Again)  as part of the attraction.

Sailing to the Canaries in October should guarantee some very good weather also.

We are still awaiting for the Cunard log in details so we can  look at the various drinks and speciality restaurant packages and the list of excursions available.

Very interesting to see how it all works out, as I have never known a British  TA to charter a whole ship to themselves.

Maybe others will have some ideas?

We were once on a Seabourn Cruise where the week previous it was wholly chartered by St James Place ( a UK blue chip investment company) so not totally uncommon, but I believe this is a first for Cunard.

mklions

16 minutes ago, mklions said:

We were once on a Seabourn Cruise where the week previous it was wholly chartered by St James Place ( a UK blue chip investment company) so not totally uncommon, but I believe this is a first for Cunard

So that charter was basically a holiday for company employees paid for by the company? They weren't faced with having to sell the cabins.

This won't be the same thing. Cunard  have been paid and paid well for the entire ship so they are in the money. The T/A has to sell out the entire ship using probably only postal advertising, their own website and what facebook or possible referral by Cunard via telephone. I suspect Cunard would pass the information on. They will not use outbound telesales. They may struggle particularly the way things are now. A big gamble on their part perhaps. I really want to know how it goes.

Edited by ace2542

1 hour ago, downsmead said:

The TA has done a similar charter this season already, a 4 night one on Princess cruises. I presume it was popular, hence this one.

But a first for Cunard I think?

I'm keen to know  if the 4 night Princess cruise had any obvious differences when being chartered by the TA other than the extra entertainment on offer?

Mklions.

2 hours ago, ace2542 said:

So that charter was basically a holiday for company employees paid for by the company? They weren't faced with having to sell the cabins.

This won't be the same thing. Cunard  have been paid and paid well for the entire ship so they are in the money. The T/A has to sell out the entire ship using probably only postal advertising, their own website and what facebook or possible referral by Cunard via telephone. I suspect Cunard would pass the information on. They will not use outbound telesales. They may struggle particularly the way things are now. A big gamble on their part perhaps. I really want to know how it goes.

The cruise has been well  advertised and appeared in a lot of daily newspapers and magazines. I got a link direct from cruise critic. 
Still not getting too excited … until FCDO advice changes on international cruising we think it’s a non starter.
 We had to pay in full without the 30 day offered by direct with Cunard.  If it sails it will be a great deal.  Keep you posted.  

I gather that for social distancing reasons, the ship won’t be fully occupied, so the travel agent doesn’t have to sell the entire ship.  I’m just hoping that all will go well and the cruise won’t have to be cancelled-.  Just wonder what the rules will be for going ashore?

7 hours ago, Joy R said:

I gather that for social distancing reasons, the ship won’t be fully occupied, so the travel agent doesn’t have to sell the entire ship.  I’m just hoping that all will go well and the cruise won’t have to be cancelled-.  Just wonder what the rules will be for going ashore?

Too early to say, but the positive news is that the UK covid infection rates for the last seven days are declining.

Fingers crossed we will be able to visit all the ports!

Mklions

• 3 months later...