Question about the Wi-Fi Plan

Eli_6

Is it possible to switch back and forth between my cell phone and laptop so long as I am not on them at the same time?  I am in the middle of a big remodel/gut project on my house that I will be having to check in on and some of the things require more typing than I want to do on a phone.   

Also, I thought I remembered someone saying that the wifi on the value plan was ridiculously slow and to use the premium even if you don't need skype, etc.  Anyone have experience with this?  I have gotten the wifi plans several times and for the life of me I cannot recall what I got or how I did it. 

Edited by Eli_6

I had the premium on the Horizon and it worked well.  No lag on YouTube or any of my wife's work applications. We also didn't have problems with video chat.  If you need to get it then you might as well get the premium.

You can switch back and forth. You just have to log out and back in on the other device. Speed will depend a lot on the ship you're on. Vista class (and I assume Mardi Gras) have better internet than the rest of the fleet. I have been able to stream YouTube and use my YouTubeTV package all over the ship on Vista and Panorama. I've been able to upload videos all over the ship on Vista and Panorama. I can't speak in depth about the value plan because I've always had premium. I did once put my phone next that of someone with the value plan and we loaded the same webpage and mine was just slightly faster than his.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 1

Others have covered your first question, so I'll stick to your second - WiFi speeds.  I used the value plan on the Horizon in 2 B.C. (before COVID).  I thought it was fairly quick for ship WiFi, meeting my needs (e-mail, light surfing, light casual online game play) and exceeding my expectations.  I, too, had heard the stories of early Vista and Horizon cruisers having bad experiences A.V. (after vaccine).  But perhaps some of it can be explained by a large percentage of bloggers, vloggers, and Internet hogs on those cruises.  I'm hoping it will be better in a month or two when I go on my trips.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Others have covered your first question, so I'll stick to your second - WiFi speeds.  I used the value plan on the Horizon in 2 B.C. (before COVID).  I thought it was fairly quick for ship WiFi, meeting my needs (e-mail, light surfing, light casual online game play) and exceeding my expectations.  I, too, had heard the stories of early Vista and Horizon cruisers having bad experiences A.V. (after vaccine).  But perhaps some of it can be explained by a large percentage of bloggers, vloggers, and Internet hogs on those cruises.  I'm hoping it will be better in a month or two when I go on my trips.

The problem for the vloggers is the upload speed which is always slow with satellite.  I was on with the vloggers on 7/10 and the speed was very good on the Horizon. 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, EngIceDave said:

Did you happen to try the limit of the wifi?

Which plan you have and how would you rate it for your needs?

I always get the top plan. Nothing is ever fast enough, but I found it sufficient. Speed is secondary, because you are sharing the same pipe with everyone else.