Iceland tours- back in the bubble

kate7047

04AUG2021

Just got this. No outside tours allowed. 

Dear Viking Guest,

This message is to advise you of a change to what was previously communicated regarding independent exploration in Iceland.

On August 2, 2021, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) updated the travel advisory level for Iceland to a "Level 3." As a result of this change, we do not expect that independent exploration will be permitted. Therefore only Viking-operated shore excursions will be allowed during your voyage. Rest assured, we will offer a range of shore excursions, including sightseeing, special interest and active tours, and each one will be hosted by an experienced guide. We continue to monitor the situation and will notify you of any changes.

If you have any questions regarding this matter, please call Reservations at 1-855-300-3970, Monday through Sunday, 5:00 AM to 7:00 PM, PT.

We look forward to welcoming you on board.

Sincerely,

Viking

We're will be on The Sky Saturday August 7 but leaving today.  Since the ship does not sail until Sunday, can we board "any time" Saturday?  We had initially planned on walking around Reykjavik Saturday and Sunday.

But can we do Reykjavik on our own Saturday and then go to the ship around 6 pm?  Or is there a specific deadline to board on Saturday to prevent them thinking you are a no show?

We are also boarding the Sky this Saturday.   We have moved our private tour the golden circle from Sunday to Saturday and boarding around 6pm Saturday night. 

Our travel agent has confirmed this with Viking.  Viking stated when we board the ship on Saturday we are in the bubble and can no longer leave on our own, even in Reykjavik.

2 hours ago, Buddysmom10 said:

But can we do Reykjavik on our own Saturday and then go to the ship around 6 pm?  Or is there a specific deadline to board on Saturday to prevent them thinking you are a no show?

In your digital cruise documents is the phone number for the ship. Call the ship and ask them. They will have the most accurate answer to your question since they are running the show.

Also, considering how quickly things are changing, call them again on Saturday (although, I did have trouble calling the ship while in Iceland but hopefully they have fixed that issue).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hoorayy said:

We are also boarding the Sky this Saturday.   We have moved our private tour the golden circle from Sunday to Saturday and boarding around 6pm Saturday night. 

Our travel agent has confirmed this with Viking.  Viking stated when we board the ship on Saturday we are in the bubble and can no longer leave on our own, even in Reykjavik.

Have a great trip.

What

company did you book the Golden Circle?

We used project expedition.   We just arrived in Iceland this morning, we have heard word all the private excursions are being refunded.  Viking has stated they are adding additional tours for us to book.    The only reasons we did not book through the ship, most of them were sold out.  Crossing. Our fingers we will be able to book.  

On 8/6/2021 at 2:34 AM, NeilP57 said:

Viking Daily for Friday (last full day of current trip) contains no restrictions for independent travel. 

Very possibly because your sailing is already underway and it is too late for them to add addition tours to accommodate all those who would have to cancel independent tours. Also, end of the trip and something about horses/cows and barn doors.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On the sky now.  Excursions are very limited.  We tried to book but most were sold out.  We will do the included excursions and make the best out of the week!  We upgraded the alcohol package  😆 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hoorayy said:

On the sky now.  Excursions are very limited.  We tried to book but most were sold out.  We will do the included excursions and make the best out of the week!  We upgraded the alcohol package  😆 

Thanks for the update.  Hope more excursions open up & you have a great time! 

About what time did you check-in/board the ship?  Were you allowed to wander around Reykjavik at all either before or after boarding? (I'm guessing "no" after boarding due to bubble?) 

3 hours ago, Retired2016Cruiser said:

Thanks for the update.  Hope more excursions open up & you have a great time! 

About what time did you check-in/board the ship?  Were you allowed to wander around Reykjavik at all either before or after boarding? (I'm guessing "no" after boarding due to bubble?) 

Once you are on, you are in the bubble and cannot leave the ship.     We boarded at 7pm. Making the most of the day before being bubbled.  Some people boarded today (Sunday)   They are fine at whatever time you come aboard.  Do try and book excursions before hand if you can.  There are no extra excursions on board.   We are on the waitlist for a lot of excursions but nothing is opening up.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, hoorayy said:

Once you are on, you are in the bubble and cannot leave the ship.     We boarded at 7pm. Making the most of the day before being bubbled.  Some people boarded today (Sunday)   They are fine at whatever time you come aboard.  Do try and book excursions before hand if you can.  There are no extra excursions on board.   We are on the waitlist for a lot of excursions but nothing is opening up.  

Thank you! That is helpful.  Hope some excursions do open up for you.

Because we're in the bubble, is there anywhere to buy postcards on the ship or on any excursions? I love sending postcards to my little friends, ages 6 to 10, to encourage their interest in travel.

I know, it's hard to believe, but you'd be surprised how hard it is to find postcards anymore. I may be on the only person on the planet who buys postcard stamps by the roll. lol

• Like 1

For anyone getting to the port independently:  We are arriving early and are not on a Viking transfer.  Does anyone know if you are able to drop your bags at the port without boarding the ship?  Thinking maybe we could do this and wander around before getting into the bubble.

2 hours ago, Wander58 said:

For anyone getting to the port independently:  We are arriving early and are not on a Viking transfer.  Does anyone know if you are able to drop your bags at the port without boarding the ship?  Thinking maybe we could do this and wander around before getting into the bubble.

On July 3 (which means things could have changed since then), for those without Viking transfers, baggage drop was before you got in line for check in and boarding.

What I can't tell you is how early you would be able to drop your bags -- or if they will even let you do that.

Edited by Peregrina651
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Peregrina651 said:

On July 3 (which means things could have changed since then), for those without Viking transfers, baggage drop was before you got in line for check in and boarding.

What I can't tell you is how early you would be able to drop your bags -- or if they will even let you do that.

Thanks!

35 minutes ago, hoorayy said:

They have tightened up the bubble.   Some people snuck away in town. The Captain made an announcement…..today there was no way you can leave port.

we have a positive COVID case on board today

What ship are you on?

2 hours ago, hoorayy said:

They have tightened up the bubble.   Some people snuck away in town. The Captain made an announcement…..today there was no way you can leave port.

Interesting that it was 3 days in...just like the others positive cases.

On 8/8/2021 at 10:31 PM, KarNog said:

Because we're in the bubble, is there anywhere to buy postcards on the ship or on any excursions? I love sending postcards to my little friends, ages 6 to 10, to encourage their interest in travel.

I know, it's hard to believe, but you'd be surprised how hard it is to find postcards anymore. I may be on the only person on the planet who buys postcard stamps by the roll. lol

I bought them on the Vigor Island tour. Plus they have stamps and a mailbox there-also bought a cute puffin print there. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, hoorayy said:

This is a situation where Viking need to display some strong leadership. I can only hope the Master ensured they returned to the ship to find their bags at the bottom of the gangway.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Wander58 said:

Interesting that it was 3 days in...just like the others positive cases.

Yes, you are still vulnerable travelling to the ship after you test negative ... the airport, plane, airport. The D variant is very highly transmissible and it is a matter of days before you become positive if you do contract it.

Mask up at all times when travelling, everyone, and you'll be fine, hopefully.