LAX or SFO for Layover to Copenhagen?

nini

I think I have narrowed down which flights to book for the trek from PDX to Copenhagen next year. I am hoping to get a layover of about two hours.

If this was you, which airport (SFO or LAX) would you prefer in reference to the ease of doing the transfer, services available, and other comments. Thanks!

1 minute ago, FlyerTalker said:

Airlines and time of day always help with these kind of questions.

The flights we are considering would land in SFO or LAX about noon. The airline to either one is Alaska and we would connect with SAS. Thanks

2 minutes ago, bennybear said:

We’ve flown out of SFO and it is easy to maneuver.   Not sure about LAX.   But wondering why not look at SEA or YVR as they are closer and would be less flying time. 

SEA and PDX are both a 3 hour drive for us. We live on the WA state coast. We have adult children in Portland which works well for us in terms of not dealing with parking.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bennybear said:

We’ve flown out of SFO and it is easy to maneuver.   Not sure about LAX.   But wondering why not look at SEA or YVR as they are closer and would be less flying time. 

Actually, Portland is closer and less flying time. But I appreciate you presenting options.

I'm a bit confused as to why you aren't on UA from PDX to either LAX or SFO.  Both UA and SK are in Star, so you might have some better options in case of irops.  And possibly a better through fare.

In any case, you have some terminal shifts for any connection.  At LAX, SAS goes out of TBIT, while AS arrives in T6 and UA in T7/8.  So you would need to make that hike.  The good news is that if you have your SK boarding pass and your bags are through checked, you can make that walk inside security using the tunnel system and the passage from T4 to secure TBIT.  But it is not a short hike.

At SFO, SAS goes out of International G.  There is an airside connector from arriving UA flights, but on AS flights you would have to leave the secure area, go to the international terminal, and be screened again.

Personally, my ranked choice would be:

UA to SK at SFO  (no security screening, shortest walk, same alliance)

AS to SK at LAX  (shortest walk at LAX, no security screening)

UA to SK at LAX  (no security screening, same alliance)

AS to SK at SFO  (terminal shuttle train outside security)

And in ALL cases, I would want more than just a two hour connection.  Stuff happens.

Edited by FlyerTalker

19 minutes ago, bennybear said:

If you are talking about "closer" meaning closer to Copenhagen:

1)  SAS no longer flies from SEA, so there are no non-stops to CPH anymore.

2)  SAS never flew from YVR, so again there are no non-stops.

10 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

I'm a bit confused as to why you aren't on UA from PDX to either LAX or SFO.  Both UA and SK are in Star, so you might have some better options in case of irops.  And possibly a better through fare.

In any case, you have some terminal shifts for any connection.  At LAX, SAS goes out of TBIT, while AS arrives in T6 and UA in T7/8.  So you would need to make that hike.  The good news is that if you have your SK boarding pass and your bags are through checked, you can make that walk inside security using the tunnel system and the passage from T4 to secure TBIT.  But it is not a short hike.

At SFO, SAS goes out of International G.  There is an airside connector from arriving UA flights, but on AS flights you would have to leave the secure area, go to the international terminal, and be screened again.

Personally, my ranked choice would be:

UA to SK at SFO  (no security screening, shortest walk, same alliance)

AS to SK at LAX  (shortest walk at LAX, no security screening)

UA to SK at LAX  (no security screening, same alliance)

AS to SK at SFO  (terminal shuttle train outside security)

And in ALL cases, I would want more than just a two hour connection.  Stuff happens.

Thank you so much for all of your details and research! I very much agree with more than a 2 hours connection... Stuff does happen indeed.

1 hour ago, FlyerTalker said:

If you are talking about "closer" meaning closer to Copenhagen:

1)  SAS no longer flies from SEA, so there are no non-stops to CPH anymore.

2)  SAS never flew from YVR, so again there are no non-stops.

Meant closer to OP and less flying time overall,  no mention of airline when I posted.  

I can explain the Alaska Airlines preference as we virtually have always flown with them domestically. We get miles for BA and American too, but it is slim pickin's with just one stop for a connection.