Mixed vaxxed - NEED A 3RD DOSE TO CRUISE CELEBRITY OUT OF FLORIDA

Tomchick1970

My TA just emailed me to say we need a 3rd poke in order to cruise.  Celebrity updated their policy for unvaccinated passengers or people that are vaccinated but have a mix - like ME!!

All sailings departing the U.S. are subject to guidance from the CDC. Celebrity Cruises will continue to abide by CDC guidance and require all guests, 12 years and older to be fully vaccinated with all COVID-19 vaccine doses administered at least 14 days prior to sailing.  Guests scheduled to sail aboard Celebrity Edge, Celebrity Equinox or Celebrity Summit out of South Florida must be vaccinated in order to sail. To comply with this requirement, guests ages 12 and older must provide documentation of full vaccination at the terminal as a condition for boarding.

17 minutes ago, Tomchick1970 said:

My TA just emailed me to say we need a 3rd poke in order to cruise.  Celebrity updated their policy for unvaccinated passengers or people that are vaccinated but have a mix - like ME!!

All sailings departing the U.S. are subject to guidance from the CDC. Celebrity Cruises will continue to abide by CDC guidance and require all guests, 12 years and older to be fully vaccinated with all COVID-19 vaccine doses administered at least 14 days prior to sailing.  Guests scheduled to sail aboard Celebrity Edge, Celebrity Equinox or Celebrity Summit out of South Florida must be vaccinated in order to sail. To comply with this requirement, guests ages 12 and older must provide documentation of full vaccination at the terminal as a condition for boarding.

Yep.

Many cruiselines aren't even allowing exemptions for adults. You need to be vaccinated per CDC or you don't cruise.

I see you are in Ontario. Ontario currently does not allow 3rd dose unless you have medical issues.

Carnival allows you to apply for an exemption if you want to switch cruiselines.

3 hours ago, K_e_short said:

Yep.

Many cruiselines aren't even allowing exemptions for adults. You need to be vaccinated per CDC or you don't cruise.

I see you are in Ontario. Ontario currently does not allow 3rd dose unless you have medical issues.

Carnival allows you to apply for an exemption if you want to switch cruiselines.

3 hours ago, Tomchick1970 said:

Celebrity told me on Monday that I could not cruise with them as they only look at the first doses.   If they are not from the approved schedule, they would not be accepted.  That is, if you have AZ and Pfizer and the third dose was Pfizer, you would still not be able to cruise with them.   To me this is completely illogical, but this was escalated and I got the same result.

You may want to go back to your TA and confirm the scenario.   My plan was just to get a second Pfizer after the first AZ.   Princess specifically says they will allow an AZ followed by two mRNA's.

I would be interested to see what you hear.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, tert333 said:

Celebrity told me on Monday that I could not cruise with them as they only look at the first doses.   If they are not from the approved schedule, they would not be accepted.  That is, if you have AZ and Pfizer and the third dose was Pfizer, you would still not be able to cruise with them.   To me this is completely illogical, but this was escalated and I got the same result.

You may want to go back to your TA and confirm the scenario.   My plan was just to get a second Pfizer after the first AZ.   Princess specifically says they will allow an AZ followed by two mRNA's.

I would be interested to see what you hear.

Wow, I just forwarded this to my agent and she said she has not been told this by her Celebrity contacts. I certainly hope your wrong.  This is unjust.  If I take a 2nd pfizer than that should correct the Unvaccinated issue. BS!!!!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Tomchick1970 said:

Wow, I just forwarded this to my agent and she said she has not been told this by her Celebrity contacts. I certainly hope your wrong.  This is unjust.  If I take a 2nd pfizer than that should correct the Unvaccinated issue. BS!!!!

I hope your TA is correct.   It is so frustrating dealing with all the cruiselines.   I could not believe my ears, which is why I escalated it.  I am not cruising until November so I have time.   Along with that, the US came out today and are recommending a third dose 8 months after the second of a mRNA.  Who knows how this will affect cruising.

• Like 1

I'm not surprised at all that this whole vaccination issue has us Canadians completely screwed over.  Our vaccine deployment did not follow any medical or pharmaceutical guidelines and now it coming back to bite us in the backside once again.  The AZ vaccine, to the best of my knowledge, never was and still has not be approved for usage by the CDC.  So anyone up here having 2 shots, but one is AZ are out of luck.  Those of us, myself included, who where fortunate enough to have had a double dose of Pfizer or Moderna have the looming issue that dose 2 was not administered within the 4-5 week guidelines that were approved by everyone.  I still worry greatly that something is going to spring up and negate one of those because of that 12-16 week delay in Canada.  However, with Pfizer announcing the 3rd jab recommendation we can take some solace in that.  But, with the federal election in full swing what delay is that going to cause as they squabble on the campaign trail and whomever wins has to start that up again.  Hopefully as more and more data is analyzed and things become clearer things start to calm down and get better soon.  Hopefully the proper type of dosages, timings, and deployment of the next phase of vaccinations can get things straightened out to allow us back on the high seas and whomever is governing deploys it right this time.  Regardless, I count my blessing each day we moved our cruise starting dates to January 2023.  Best of luck to everyone struggling with this issue.  Truly hope you are successful in getting things straightened out and you can go.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, ALD18 said:

The AZ vaccine, to the best of my knowledge, never was and still has not be approved for usage by the CDC.

The CDC didn't need to approve AZ because they were swimming in doses of 3 other vaccinations.

• Like 2

I don't know why the cruise lines won't accept AstraZeneca. Here is a letter I got from the CDC: 

Date: Tue, Jul 27, 2021 at 5:42 AM

Thank you for contacting CDC-INFO.

We hope you find the following information about coming to the US from Canada and getting two different vaccines  helpful.

If you received all recommended doses of a COVID-19 vaccine that has been authorized for emergency use by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) or is listed for emergency use by the World Health Organization (WHO), then you do not need any additional doses of COVID-19 vaccine. This currently includes the following vaccines:
  • Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine
  • Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine
  • Johnson and Johnson's Janssen COVID-19 Vaccine
  • AstraZeneca COVID-19 Vaccine
  • Sinopharm COVID-19 Vaccine
  • Sinovac-CoronaVac COVID-19 Vaccine 

If you received the first dose of an FDA-authorized COVID-19 vaccine that requires two doses, you do not need to restart the vaccine series in the United States. Get your second dose of the same vaccine as close to the recommended time as possible.

If you end up receiving doses of two different COVID-19 vaccines, then you are considered fully immunized and don't need any additional vaccinations.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Which cruise lines won't accept a two-dose AZ full vaccination?

I don't know. But they don't accept a mixed vaccine with one dose of AstraZeneca. Celebrity says they are following rules according to CDC but by letter from the CDC says I'm vaccinated.

• Like 1

Interesting letter Ciren219.  Sounds like AZ has been authorized after all.  With the criteria in the letter sounds like everything should go.  Only other instance I could think of is restrictions on destination ports and their criteria.  Thanks for sharing the document.

9 minutes ago, Ciren219 said:

I don't know. But they don't accept a mixed vaccine with one dose of AstraZeneca. Celebrity says they are following rules according to CDC but by letter from the CDC says I'm vaccinated.

The letter is very clear and reflects the information found on the CDC website. You are considered fully vaccinated if you have had the recommended dosage of the 6 vaccines approved for emergency use by the CDC and/or WHO.

Then there's the final sentence, which not only contradicts the CDC website, but the letter itself. In your shoes, I would contact the CDC again and ask them to expand on this sentence and to explain the apparent contradiction with the website.

FWIW, Celebrity is complying with the information on CDC's website.