Pre Cruise Covid Testing Quick turnaround!

bikevegas

46 minutes ago, BruceMuzz said:

Flying out of Tokyo, when my company is paying, I get the more expensive PCR tests. When I am paying, I go for the less expensive ones.

I cannot see much difference between them.

Some of the less expensive labs take a bit longer - 24 hours or so. Locations are not as convenient as the more costly places. And I might have to jump through a few more hoops to get the results.

If the results are in Japanese, the people at the airport can read them. Even if they couldn't, the QR Code on the form can easily be read in several languages.

Otherwise, no difference.

Thanks so much for the helpful reply. That's interesting to hear, meaning, just to get on the flight, the cheap test results are as good as the expensive ones--and no questions asked. Cost aside, if they all the places are doing "PCR" tests, I too can't see much difference between them, except the HUGE difference in cost.

Before leaving Tokyo I will have time to wait 24 hours or so, and most places here do a 1-day turnaround it seems. Since I will be checking in at NRT/HND, the staff surely can read the results. I was wondering about who is going to/needs to read it at the other end if it is in Japanese. 

I still have a while until my flight, so I will keep an eye on the testing situation. Thanks for the valuable feedback. 

21 hours ago, Tudorcruisers said:

It’s so interesting reading the different replies.   We are flying out from U.K. in October and our antigen test is £49 pp which is extortionate.  I shall do some research to see if we can get something more reasonable.   

I agree with you. There are 2 issues, as I see it.

1) One is a reasonable price. I don't work at or own a testing lab, so don't know what is involved with testing to make it so expensive. In my view,  I think a lot of places are price-gouging because they know that we travelers are  over  barrel and at their mercy . With more people traveling, I am afraid the prices for tests might go up. 

2) The right test. This is an issue that has to be checked thoroughly. While there are so many kinds of tests availabe, and some cheaper than others, I need to make sure that I get the kind of test that is good to board my cruise. I would hate to find out that,  in order to save money, I got the "wrong test" that won't be accepted at embarcation.  

I have a few more months to go, so things might change by then. In the meantime, I am trying to learn as much as I can about which test is sufficient, and then find a place that charges a reasonable fee.

12 hours ago, Funatabi said:

I agree with you. There are 2 issues, as I see it.

1) One is a reasonable price. I don't work at or own a testing lab, so don't know what is involved with testing to make it so expensive. In my view,  I think a lot of places are price-gouging because they know that we travelers are  over  barrel and at their mercy . With more people traveling, I am afraid the prices for tests might go up. 

2) The right test. This is an issue that has to be checked thoroughly. While there are so many kinds of tests availabe, and some cheaper than others, I need to make sure that I get the kind of test that is good to board my cruise. I would hate to find out that,  in order to save money, I got the "wrong test" that won't be accepted at embarcation.  

I have a few more months to go, so things might change by then. In the meantime, I am trying to learn as much as I can about which test is sufficient, and then find a place that charges a reasonable fee.

A big part of the testing cost is the machinery necessary to do the test.

The ship I work on has 2 PCR test machines that can process 3 tests each at one time. We can get the results in about 45 minutes.

Each machine cost 43,000 Euros.

Edited by BruceMuzz

I've been fighting a sinus infection and finally broke down and went to the Dr.  They wanted me to take a Covid test, which was fine with me, although I have had Covid and am vaccinated.  It was negative, so great, and I was able to get the meds to bust this infection.

I took 15 minutes to get the results back--just waited in the office.  I did not ask which test it was.  Note that this is a very small town clinic that you can usually get an appt. the same day you call, and I am on Medicare, if that makes a difference as to cost--which was $0 to me.

So that seems promising for a fast turn-around for cruising!

Edited by Nebr.cruiser