Is it YMMV with cancelling a cruise?

shoppingfever

I emailed my PVP about cancelling our Jan cruise and applying what we have paid to our July cruise. She said there would be a $198 cancellation fee unless I book a completely new cruise. Yet, I am reading here that several have cancelled and received full refunds or were allowed to apply the amount they paid to another cruise. Is it Your mileage may vary on who is giving the info when it comes to refunds/applying amount paid to another cruise or having to book a new cruise or  being charged a cancellation fee?

22 minutes ago, shoppingfever said:

I emailed my PVP about cancelling our Jan cruise and applying what we have paid to our July cruise. She said there would be a $198 cancellation fee unless I book a completely new cruise. Yet, I am reading here that several have cancelled and received full refunds or were allowed to apply the amount they paid to another cruise. Is it Your mileage may vary on who is giving the info when it comes to refunds/applying amount paid to another cruise or having to book a new cruise or  being charged a cancellation fee?

Protocols have only been announced thru oct. People can only say they cant meet the protocols once announced .. you got a ways to wait for January 

• Like 2

I have an interest in this topic.

Final payment for NYE cruise is coming up, would prefer not to make final $ and then find out that things have gotten worse (virus or protocols) or that Carnival has another service interruption.

Already have 2022 booked up using credits from Princess and HAL.  More FCC from Carnival would be nearly impossible to use in a reasonable time frame.

Seriously thinking of moving this trip to Nov 2022 if I can get a few more vacation days.

How early are protocols released? or do we just have to wait for some event to drastically change them?

John Heald said last week that Nov/Dec protocols would be released soon, possibly this week.   That might mean Jan/Feb would be released mid to late October, if that helps.   It seems that would make it before final payments are due.   

• Like 2

On 8/21/2021 at 10:47 AM, shoppingfever said:

Edited by 80sGal
Misread your question -- sorry :)

Hubby and I are scheduled for Thanksgiving week (rescheduled from March 21 that was cancelled) and I called Carnival last week (tried several times and Saturday afternoon only had to wait 10 minutes to get a live person!) to see about cancelling this cruise (we just don't care to go with the current rules) and moving the money to a June 22 booking we already have.  I was told I would lose $300 plus $198 for travel insurance ( or something like that) but then could file a claim through that insurance.  The rep was very nice and suggested I wait until Nov guidelines come out and if it remains the same and I don't want to travel under those call back and it could be moved with no penalties.  I sure hope they come out with those guidelines soon but dread the process of getting someone on the phone again and getting it all taken care of!  I never dreamt that November would still be so iffy for us and now I'm wondering about June 22!!!!  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 80sGal said:

John Heald said last week that Nov/Dec protocols would be released soon, possibly this week.   That might mean Jan/Feb would be released mid to late October, if that helps.   It seems that would make it before final payments are due.   

Hope so. My final payment is quickly approaching for our 9 December cruise from NOLA........

How are people find out about these? I'd think Carnival would send emails to those affected, but all I get from Carnival is that danged offer to purchase their Cheers package....which I get almost daily. Perhaps I need to log onto Carnival's web site to see the protocols? That's fine as long as I know I must do that, but an email direct from Carnival would be appreciated my many who don't regularly log onto Carnival.com.

22 hours ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Hope so. My final payment is quickly approaching for our 9 December cruise from NOLA........

How are people find out about these? I'd think Carnival would send emails to those affected, but all I get from Carnival is that danged offer to purchase their Cheers package....which I get almost daily. Perhaps I need to log onto Carnival's web site to see the protocols? That's fine as long as I know I must do that, but an email direct from Carnival would be appreciated my many who don't regularly log onto Carnival.com.

If and when your cruise is canceled, you will get an e-mail from Carnival giving you the options of what you need to do.  

On 8/21/2021 at 10:47 AM, shoppingfever said:

. Is it Your mileage may vary on who is giving the info when it comes to refunds/applying amount paid to another cruise or having to book a new cruise or  being charged a cancellation fee?

A lot has to do with what rate you booked your cruise under.  Any non-refundable rates will cost you if you cancel before the cruise is canceled.  

52 minutes ago, RWolver672 said:

If and when your cruise is canceled, you will get an e-mail from Carnival giving you the options of what you need to do.  

A lot has to do with what rate you booked your cruise under.  Any non-refundable rates will cost you if you cancel before the cruise is canceled.  

Roger that if Carnival cancels the cruise. I am more concerned about getting information about whether I want to cancel it prior to the final payment. I have receiving nothing from Carnival about vaccination requires, etc, etc. I have read about that here on CruiseCritic, and if I drill down enough, I can find other requirements at Carnival.com. But I kinda thought Carnival might send me something on those items along with the daily offers to buy their Cheers package.

Doug