Actual experience with testing positive at the pier?

chefchick

35 minutes ago, Shellbelle28 said:

Looks as though the test is $25 and results are available in 24 hours. They use the BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test and remotely supervise administration.

Do you have to rush down to the post office or fedex to overnight the swab?  Or is just some kind of color code that shows up?

Edited by ChiefMateJRK

52 minutes ago, Shellbelle28 said:

I just was looking at my United Airlines mileage account, and saw that United suggests an online service called eMed.com for supervised testing (antigen not PCR) that I am going to check on doing for our pre travel testing.

Looks as though the test is $25 and results are available in 24 hours. They use the BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test and remotely supervise administration. The test manufacturer has an app that documents results. 

This makes me feel slightly less stressed about test timing prior to travel.

There had been issues with people being on hold with them for hours trying to take a test. Not sure if it is still an issue or not. I guess that their call center is in the Phillipines and they had a lot of COVID issues there. 

Also, it is only $25 if you buy a 6-pack. The minimum is a 2-pack and that is $70.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Do you have to rush down to the post office or fedex to overnight the swab?  Or is just some kind of color code that shows up?

You do the test ourself in front of someone watching you do it on a video call.

2 minutes ago, zdcatc12 said:

There had been issues with people being on hold with them for hours trying to take a test. Not sure if it is still an issue or not. I guess that their call center is in the Phillipines and they had a lot of COVID issues there. 

Also, it is only $25 if you buy a 6-pack. The minimum is a 2-pack and that is $70.

Yeah, looks as though they are marketing it as something a traveler carries multiple packs along on their trip and performs at times needed during the travel. 

15 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Thanks.  I was confused by the "24 hour" comment.  That must be the processing time to allow you to receive the official results.

Yes, that is a confusing point, but you are probably right. It's must mean it's available to use as proof in 24 hours via their app.

1 hour ago, mma__leanne said:

BinaxNOW one, and does the report show your birthday?

This was my question a few pages back and I found out from eMed, their information does show the birth date. 

I received my 6 pack of tests in the mail yesterday. 

They had an expiration date of Oct and I dont need them until December.  I reached out again and support shared the response from the FDA that the expiration has been extended and their response was on target with expiration now January 2022.  

This is all for the BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test 

Hope that helps

• Like 1

On 9/2/2021 at 1:46 AM, chefchick said:

I would 100% agree with that…but I have to ask this question…if I am being tested at the pier, why the need for 72 hour advance testing?  And if I have tested in advance, why the need for testing at the pier?

I'll use my own plans as an example.  I live in Pennsylvania but sailing out of San Pedro.  I've always had every intention of testing before I got on the flight, because if I AM positive (even if asymptomatic) I don't want to get on a plane, potentially exposing others, then have to quarantine for 10 days in a LA hotel after my positive test comes back at the pier.

Likewise, if I tested negative on Thursday then flew cross-country, there's a slim but non-zero chance I'll test positive at the pier (if I was exposed just before taking the first test, for instance.)  From NCL's standpoint, the number of positive tests at the pier from people who tested negative on their own should be very small, and that's the point.  If I'm next to you in line and you test positive, you might have exposed me and I'll be positive at some point during the cruise, so they want to mitigate that risk.

Edited by phillygwm
For clarity