Actual experience with testing positive at the pier?

chefchick

I live in Seattle will be sailing Encore on the 11th.  I just received the email regarding the “new” 72 hour testing recommendation, but testing is not easily attainable currently in Seattle via the usual suspects (Walgreens, CVS, etc).  I have booked my required embarkation testing thru Eurofins and am prepared to test at the pier, but on the off chance myself or my party test positive at the pier will we be eligible for a refund of our cruise fare?  I know that quarantine related expenses would only be applicable if we had the additional test but in my case we are driving ourselves to the pier and would just go home locally to quarantine so no additional cost would incur anyway.

Does anyone have first hand knowledge of the potential refund process and who is eligible?  I assume NCL added this additional testing recommendation because of  the potential costs of having to quarantine guests and or their related travel expenses but that doesn’t apply in my case so I am only concerned with the actual cruise fare.

28 minutes ago, chefchick said:

I live in Seattle will be sailing Encore on the 11th.  I just received the email regarding the “new” 72 hour testing recommendation, but testing is not easily attainable currently in Seattle via the usual suspects (Walgreens, CVS, etc).  I have booked my required embarkation testing thru Eurofins and am prepared to test at the pier, but on the off chance myself or my party test positive at the pier will we be eligible for a refund of our cruise fare?  I know that quarantine related expenses would only be applicable if we had the additional test but in my case we are driving ourselves to the pier and would just go home locally to quarantine so no additional cost would incur anyway.

Does anyone have first hand knowledge of the potential refund process and who is eligible?  I assume NCL added this additional testing recommendation because of  the potential costs of having to quarantine guests and or their related travel expenses but that doesn’t apply in my case so I am only concerned with the actual cruise fare.

I feel like no one has posted with actual experience with this, best to just get the test beforehand if you can

I live in a larger city as well(DFW), I recommend joining a Seattle/local fb group that is catered towards finding vaccination sites/testing. It helped me today to find last minute  testing sites beyond CVS/Walgreens. My husband was like "Idk how you found this" and I was like "FB community!" 

41 minutes ago, chefchick said:

I live in Seattle will be sailing Encore on the 11th.  I just received the email regarding the “new” 72 hour testing recommendation, but testing is not easily attainable currently in Seattle via the usual suspects (Walgreens, CVS, etc).  

I don't have any information about your question of what happens, but I'm wondering why you've determined testing is not easily attainable in Seattle? Since all you need for this particular purpose is an antigen test, there are many Walgreens that offer antigen tests with rapid turnaround.

In addition, I just got tested last week due to a "potential exposure" and went one of the City of Seattle sites that are working through UW Med. If you are in the northern part of the city, the drive-thru testing at the old Aurora vehicle emission spot is really quick and easy. My results (for a PCR test!) were back in less than 18 hours. I was pleasantly surprised, as now I know I can use this method for my Bermuda PCR requirement.

• Like 1

I have family members cruising out of Seattle in a couple of weeks.  They have appointments at UW for testing - were able to make them weeks ago, unlike Wallgreens that appears to be only day of/next day.  RiteAid seems to open up about a week in advance.

Walgreens only allows you to schedule testing if you are currently experiencing symptoms or have been exposed…I have not, nor do I want to lie about it.  The closest CVS (with availability on the days I need it) is over an hour away, so no, it’s not particularly easy..  I have no reason to believe  I will test positive at embarkation, but I am just trying to get a answer to what should be a simple question

I have tried to get an answer to this from my TA who has a “call in” to NCL. When I tried to call, I got a guy who probably started work yesterday and could even begin to answer my question.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chefchick said:

Walgreens only allows you to schedule testing if you are currently experiencing symptoms or have been exposed…I have not, nor do I want to lie about it.  The closest CVS (with availability on the days I need it) is over an hour away, so no, it’s not particularly easy..  I have no reason to believe  I will test positive at embarkation, but I am just trying to get a answer to what should be a simple question

I have tried to get an answer to this from my TA who has a “call in” to NCL. When I tried to call, I got a guy who probably started work yesterday and could even begin to answer my question.

In reality we probably have all been exposed if you have gone out of your house. You would not be lying - especially if you live in a large city

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, milolii said:

I agree with Aubrey, haven’t seen anyone post here about testing positive at the pier and going through the refund process.  

That's likely because there have only been a handful of instances, and there is a good chance they are not forum members.

• Like 2

Okay, fine.  Then let the arm chair experts help a girl out.  What is YOUR interpretation of the email.  I understand that if I test positive I will not be eligible for a refund for any related quarantine or travel expenses, but what about the actual cruise fare?????  I realize they encourage prior testing but is it a necessity for eligibility of a refund? 

We strongly encourage all guests to take a COVID-19 PCR test within 72-hours prior to their sail date as an added precaution

• If you, your family members, travelling companions or other close contacts are denied embarkation or reboarding, or are quarantined or disembarked during the voyage, due to a positive COVID-19 test or being suspected of having COVID-19, you and they are entitled to a prorated refund, or an optional Future Cruise Credit (“FCC”), for the amount paid to Norwegian in the event of denial at embarkation, or the unused portion of your fare in all other cases.

25 minutes ago, milolii said:

I agree with Aubrey, haven’t seen anyone post here about testing positive at the pier and going through the refund process.  

and not likely there will be a hot topic post about this here before Sept 11th sailing. 

I know it can be inconvenient to get a test, might have to drive a ways, but I believe you can make it happen with the substantial time you have. 

Remember, there are great resources out there, like fb groups, google, calling local vaccination sites (lots of times vaccination sites do testing as well) I had a test scheduled for tomorrow, but my husband somehow was not listening to me and scheduled a work meeting during our testing time. I was able to get on a fb group for people looking for testing and vaccines in my area, they gave me a few testing sites that do same day or next day results. I made an appointment for one today, about 1 hr prior to going there. Drove 15 minutes to the testing site, took about 15 minutes to get through the line, currently waiting for my RT PCR results. 

At the end of the day, it is of course your decision and if you want to risk it and dealing with any fees and such, that is your prerogative. I just don't think you will see any feedback from someone testing positive at the pier PLUS going through the refund process before you sailing. 

43 minutes ago, chefchick said:

I appreciate all the testing suggestions, but that’s really not my question,..I can’t be the only one having a hard time deciphering the sail safe email?  

You're not alone.  I'm also in the Seattle area, on the 9/11 sailing, and totally agree that the email seems to address only the costs associated with quarantining and getting home, not whether your cruise fare will be refunded.  Still planning to play it safe and get tested next week. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, chefchick said:

Okay, fine.  Then let the arm chair experts help a girl out.  What is YOUR interpretation of the email.  I understand that if I test positive I will not be eligible for a refund for any related quarantine or travel expenses, but what about the actual cruise fare?????  I realize they encourage prior testing but is it a necessity for eligibility of a refund? 

We strongly encourage all guests to take a COVID-19 PCR test within 72-hours prior to their sail date as an added precaution

• If you, your family members, travelling companions or other close contacts are denied embarkation or reboarding, or are quarantined or disembarked during the voyage, due to a positive COVID-19 test or being suspected of having COVID-19, you and they are entitled to a prorated refund, or an optional Future Cruise Credit (“FCC”), for the amount paid to Norwegian in the event of denial at embarkation, or the unused portion of your fare in all other cases.

Amount paid to Norwegian would be cruise fare - not understanding your confusion, although the FCC vs cash seems to be muddled.

1 hour ago, chefchick said:

Walgreens only allows you to schedule testing if you are currently experiencing symptoms or have been exposed…I have not, nor do I want to lie about it.  

Sorry, I would definitely not suggest lying. I didn't realize Walgreens had that requirement, since I never got that far in the scheduling process. I was having a conversation with my pharmacist (at a location that doesn't do the PCR testing I will need) to see if he had any insight on the turnaround times at the locations that do PCR. I told him I needed it for travel on a specific timeline and was doing my research on testing options. He didn't mention that they weren't allowing travel as a reason for testing! I'll have to give him a hard time next time I'm in.

I understand not wanting to go through all the hassle for something that feels like it is such a low probability. I've just resigned myself to jumping through tons of hoops and repeated testing because of the requirements for my particular cruise. If it were just a matter of getting downtown and hopping onboard like you have, I may feel differently too.

• Like 1

To address the question of fare refund:  Isn’t this why we have trip insurance?  I see you can cancel up to 15 days pre-cruise and get a FCC per NCL’s “Peace of Mind” policy, but I am not seeing anything about testing positive at the port and getting cruise fare back.

In your case (or those within driving distance), this latest extra testing step seems a waste of time, effort, money - and testing resources.  If you can go home, you have no expense for them to cover.

Anyone remember reading that you get refunded for cruise fare if you are denied boarding?  (they have to refund taxes / port fees).

• Like 1

@chefchick- There was a huge discussion about this on another post and no one seems to know the true interpertation, without anyone reporting the experience we are all just speculating.

However since youve asked for anyone's personal interpretation, I shared in that thread this piece of wording from the sale safe 

Guests who are denied boarding due to a violation of protocols, for example not testing in advance, will not receive a refund.

I personally think there will be no money for cruise and/or quartantine if someone does not test prior to arriving at the pier. - That is just my 2 cents and I could be way off. 

But what Im going to go by, for my personal experience. 

Hope that helps

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, greatestvalue said:

@chefchick- There was a huge discussion about this on another post and no one seems to know the true interpertation, without anyone reporting the experience we are all just speculating.

However since youve asked for anyone's personal interpretation, I shared in that thread this piece of wording from the sale safe 

Guests who are denied boarding due to a violation of protocols, for example not testing in advance, will not receive a refund.

I personally think there will be no money for cruise and/or quartantine if someone does not test prior to arriving at the pier. - That is just my 2 cents and I could be way off. 

But what Im going to go by, for my personal experience. 

Hope that helps

It's 2021, think of the worst possible scenario you could possibly find yourself in, prepare for that, and be pleasantly surprised if that worst case doesn't happen. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, aubreyc1988 said:

It's 2021, think of the worst possible scenario you could possibly find yourself in, prepare for that, and be pleasantly surprised if that worst case doesn't happen. 

I would 100% agree with that…but I have to ask this question…if I am being tested at the pier, why the need for 72 hour advance testing?  And if I have tested in advance, why the need for testing at the pier?

19 minutes ago, chefchick said:

I would 100% agree with that…but I have to ask this question…if I am being tested at the pier, why the need for 72 hour advance testing?  And if I have tested in advance, why the need for testing at the pier?

Advance testing is mandated by some countries, not an NCL requirement.  I'm going to Italy so need prior testing anyway but I would do it regardless just because I don't want to spend hours on an airplane just to turn around and go home (or into quarantine) if I happen to be positive.  NCL will test all passengers as a CYA, if nothing else.  Much simpler to use their test instead of trying to determine if your test is valid, etc.  Pretty easy to fake a test result.

NCL has said they will refund if you are denied boarding because of a positive test at any/all ports (see #11 above).  But not your travel expenses, unless of course you booked airfare with them.

Imo it's very easy:

Get insurance, test precruise as they suggest, and hope you don't test positive. 

Cant test then ask around since they even take rapid tests. Still can't find anything then order an online test and pay extra to expidite.

With insurance get one that covers covid19. 

10 hours ago, chefchick said:

My interpretation is that if you test positive at the pier or anytime within 2 weeks of your sailing you will get a refund of your cruise cost via FCC or refund if you prefer. The testing requirement is only if you want NCL to cover any quarantine requirement costs if you test positive at the pier. In your case you don't need the extra test as you live nearby and would have no quarantine costs. 

NCL does not want to be responsible for people's hotel cost for 2 weeks if they travel to Seattle while positive and then are required to be quarantined after testing positive at the pier. Makes sense to me, I'd rather know before hand anyway and quarantine at home instead of being stuck in a different city for 2 weeks.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, chefchick said:

Just because you test negative 72 hours before, there is a chance that you could test positive three days later.  This happened to me back in January when my first test came back negative (PCR) and three days later I felt like I got hit by a truck and my second PCR test came back positive.  My wife had the same results and was asymptomatic.  NCL is mitigating the risk  to shell out money and putting it on you to test 3 days prior.  Per a previous poster, from the looks of it, if you don't get the test and test positive at embarkation, you will not get a refund.  That is how I am interpreting it as well.

Good luck and I hope you are able to cruise.

Edited by SliderNc
  • Like 2

OP, I feel like the answer to your question is "no one knows!" You are asking us to interpret the NCL language for you, but the possible interpretations you came up with are the same ones we are going to come up with. If you want to be safe, get a test before the cruise. That's what it boils down to.

If you show up to the cruise terminal and test positive on embarkation day and don't receive your refund, I don't think "but a bunch of people on Cruise Critic thought I didn't need to test in advance" is going to fly.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1