Actual experience with testing positive at the pier?

chefchick

PS: If you think testing 72 hours in advance and then again at the pier is excessive, be thankful you aren't sailing to Bermuda! For our 9/26 cruise, we now have to get a PCR test four days out for Bermuda, get a test 72 hours out for NCL, get a test at the pier on embarkation day for NCL, and then get a PCR test upon arrival in Bermuda for Bermuda! Plus, my husband and I are doing a B2B and, as things stand right now, we will have to get a PCR test onboard later in our first week to satisfy Bermuda and another rapid test at the pier on turnaround day, then another PCR test upon arrival back in Bermuda in the second week!

Edited by JamieLogical
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I believe the website answers this question. Previously I thought that without a 72 hour test  NCL would not cover quarantine costs only. But reading through the website it seems that now even the cruise fare itself is at jeopardy if you don’t test beforehand. “Violating protocols for example not testing in advanced.” Seems pretty clear now.

We fly into Seattle on Wednesday evening. We were hoping to test Wednesday morning before we leave because testing is much more available and accessible here than Seattle. But would that count as 72 hours? Since it’s Wednesday morning and we set sail Saturday afternoon? 

3A5DEBA7-8AEC-411C-B421-D8CE3EAC4C44.png

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

PS: If you think testing 72 hours in advance and then again at the pier is excessive, be thankful you aren't sailing to Bermuda! For our 9/26 cruise, we now have to get a PCR test four days out for Bermuda, get a test 72 hours out for NCL, get a test at the pier on embarkation day for NCL, and then get a PCR test upon arrival in Bermuda for Bermuda! Plus, my husband and I are doing a B2B and, as things stand right now, we will have to get a PCR test onboard later in our first week to satisfy Bermuda and another rapid test at the pier on turnaround day, then another PCR test upon arrival back in Bermuda in the second week!

your nose is gonna be really sore lol 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NCLAlaska828 said:

We fly into Seattle on Wednesday evening. We were hoping to test Wednesday morning before we leave because testing is much more available and accessible here than Seattle. But would that count as 72 hours? Since it’s Wednesday morning and we set sail Saturday afternoon? 

From what I read it said 72 hours of cruise date not embarkation. So I take that as 72 hours from the day of the cruise (meaning the three full days prior).

"PCR or antigen test taken within 72-hours of sail date"

https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/cruise-faq/will-i-receive-refund-if-i-test-positive-covid-19-prior-boarding-what-about-other-members-my-par

1 hour ago, NCLAlaska828 said:

I believe the website answers this question. Previously I thought that without a 72 hour test  NCL would not cover quarantine costs only. But reading through the website it seems that now even the cruise fare itself is at jeopardy if you don’t test beforehand. “Violating protocols for example not testing in advanced.” Seems pretty clear now.

Yes, it seems pretty clear as a stand along statement, but it seems to contradict what they state elsewhere.  I'm sure they are getting a lot of questions about this.

Celebrity had similar confusion when they announced their pre-cruise testing requirements. They initially said 72 hours, but that caused a lot of confusion about specific timing. What if you have to wait a long time at the terminal due to some delay and you test results "expire", etc. They eventually clarified that it has to be within three days before your sail date. So if you sail Saturday, you can test anytime Wed-Friday and if you sail Sunday, you can test any day Thurs-Sat. Hopefully NCL will come out with similar clarification.

• Thanks 2

17 hours ago, chefchick said:

Walgreens only allows you to schedule testing if you are currently experiencing symptoms or have been exposed…I have not, nor do I want to lie about it.  The closest CVS (with availability on the days I need it) is over an hour away, so no, it’s not particularly easy..  I have no reason to believe  I will test positive at embarkation, but I am just trying to get a answer to what should be a simple question

I have tried to get an answer to this from my TA who has a “call in” to NCL. When I tried to call, I got a guy who probably started work yesterday and could even begin to answer my question.

Maybe Walgreens is different where I live. But when I take the pre-screening test one of the questions that will allow you to schedule an appointment is along the lines of "Do you live in an area with sustained community spread".  I think that's true of everywhere in the US.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sanger727 said:

Maybe Walgreens is different where I live. But when I take the pre-screening test one of the questions that will allow you to schedule an appointment is along the lines of "Do you live in an area with sustained community spread".  I think that's true of everywhere in the US.

According to the CDC, nearly every county in the US has "High" community transmission:

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#county-view

2 hours ago, J0Y0US said:

From what I read it said 72 hours of cruise date not embarkation. So I take that as 72 hours from the day of the cruise (meaning the three full days prior).

"PCR or antigen test taken within 72-hours of sail date"

https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/cruise-faq/will-i-receive-refund-if-i-test-positive-covid-19-prior-boarding-what-about-other-members-my-par

Thanks, I tend to agree. Just hoping NCL does too. Thank you everyone else for the info as well! 

• For cruises with embarkation dates through December 31, 2021, all guests must provide proof of being fully vaccinated for COVID-19 at least 2 weeks prior to their sail date with an authorized vaccine;
  • Any documentation required from the country where you are embarking the vessel. This could include proof of a negative COVID-19 test result for entry into the country and will vary by departure country and is the responsibility of the guest;
  • Negative COVID-19 antigen test result prior to embarkation, which will be administered and paid for by cruise line;
  • Completed health questionnaire;
  • Typical travel documents, including passport or any visas as required by the departure country.
  • Any documentation required from the country the guest is travelling to, after the cruise. This could include but not be limited to proof of a specific negative COVID-19 test result. These requirements will vary by country and will be facilitated by Norwegian Cruise Line during the sailing at the guest's request.

So, now I am thoroughly confused. The above is what is stated as of today on NCL FAQ as to what documentation you need to board...It says nothing about the test 3 days before boarding being REQUIRED for a Caribbean cruise.

So this sentence: "Guests who are denied boarding due to a violation of protocols, for example not testing in advance, will not receive a refund"  - how can it be a protocol if it's not listed in their requirements? I thought the 72 hour advance testing was a recommendation - not a requirement? The most recent email I received from NCL (dated 8/18)  does not mention the need for any other covid test - only that ALL passengers regardless of age must be fully vaccinated. The page linked to my booking called "Pre-Cruise and On Board Protocols" also does not mention the need for any other covid test...only mentions the one given at the pier.

I am not trying to split hairs...I DO have insurance for my November cruise. I WILL try to get the testing and results done. But if I don't have results in time will my NCL insurance pay any claims? Or will I be considered to have been in "violation of protocols" by both NCL and NCL's insurance? I am worried about something that hasn't yet and probably will never happen. But it would be nice to know before I step on board what worst case scenario could be (I am far more worried about not being permitted to re-board while in a foreign port than I am about embarkation).

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, NRWPA said:

"Guests who are denied boarding due to a violation of protocols, for example not testing in advance, will not receive a refund"  - how can it be a protocol if it's not listed in their requirements?

I agree with your.  The only way I can reconcile this is to conclude that "not testing in advance" equates to somebody refusing to cooperate with the test at the port.

Just now, ChiefMateJRK said:

I agree with your.  The only way I can reconcile this is to conclude that "not testing in advance" equates to somebody refusing to cooperate with the test at the port.

This is what I understand too. Either not bringing vaccine documentation or refusing testing at the port. 

36 minutes ago, NRWPA said:
  • For cruises with embarkation dates through December 31, 2021, all guests must provide proof of being fully vaccinated for COVID-19 at least 2 weeks prior to their sail date with an authorized vaccine;
  • Any documentation required from the country where you are embarking the vessel. This could include proof of a negative COVID-19 test result for entry into the country and will vary by departure country and is the responsibility of the guest;
  • Negative COVID-19 antigen test result prior to embarkation, which will be administered and paid for by cruise line;
  • Completed health questionnaire;
  • Typical travel documents, including passport or any visas as required by the departure country.
  • Any documentation required from the country the guest is travelling to, after the cruise. This could include but not be limited to proof of a specific negative COVID-19 test result. These requirements will vary by country and will be facilitated by Norwegian Cruise Line during the sailing at the guest's request.

So, now I am thoroughly confused. The above is what is stated as of today on NCL FAQ as to what documentation you need to board...It says nothing about the test 3 days before boarding being REQUIRED for a Caribbean cruise.

So this sentence: "Guests who are denied boarding due to a violation of protocols, for example not testing in advance, will not receive a refund"  - how can it be a protocol if it's not listed in their requirements? I thought the 72 hour advance testing was a recommendation - not a requirement? The most recent email I received from NCL (dated 8/18)  does not mention the need for any other covid test - only that ALL passengers regardless of age must be fully vaccinated. The page linked to my booking called "Pre-Cruise and On Board Protocols" also does not mention the need for any other covid test...only mentions the one given at the pier.

I am not trying to split hairs...I DO have insurance for my November cruise. I WILL try to get the testing and results done. But if I don't have results in time will my NCL insurance pay any claims? Or will I be considered to have been in "violation of protocols" by both NCL and NCL's insurance? I am worried about something that hasn't yet and probably will never happen. But it would be nice to know before I step on board what worst case scenario could be (I am far more worried about not being permitted to re-board while in a foreign port than I am about embarkation).

I read it that only if you are required to be tested, based on itinary, you could be in violation. As an example, testing is required for cruises out of Italy, so if I can't fly/enter Italy, no refund. 

7 hours ago, NCLAlaska828 said:

I interpret the below

"Guests who are denied boarding due to a violation of protocols, for example not testing in advance, will not receive a refund."

as referring to UK residents who are required to test pre-cruise (although this testing seems to be no longer mentioned in the FAQs as indicated 🤷‍♂️ )

https://www.ncl.com/prepare-for-your-cruise/2021

Screenshot_8.png

Just to point out how quickly things change - not specifically related to NCL - Carnival just notified passengers they now have to find a way to test 48 hrs prior to arrival, listing it as a CDC requirement, effective 9/13.  For Alaska.  Announcement came out shortly after family members made their appointments based on 72 hrs.  Will NCL follow?

15 minutes ago, julig22 said:

I read it that only if you are required to be tested, based on itinary, you could be in violation. As an example, testing is required for cruises out of Italy, so if I can't fly/enter Italy, no refund. 

11 minutes ago, kevintheoman said:

I interpret the below

"Guests who are denied boarding due to a violation of protocols, for example not testing in advance, will not receive a refund."

as referring to UK residents who are required to test pre-cruise (although this testing seems to be no longer mentioned in the FAQs as indicated 🤷‍♂️ )

https://www.ncl.com/prepare-for-your-cruise/2021

Screenshot_8.png

Ok, that would make sense to me 🙂 Thanks for your input

9 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Just to point out how quickly things change - not specifically related to NCL - Carnival just notified passengers they now have to find a way to test 48 hrs prior to arrival, listing it as a CDC requirement, effective 9/13.  For Alaska.  Announcement came out shortly after family members made their appointments based on 72 hrs.  Will NCL follow?

I certainly hope Royal Caribbean doesn't follow! I'm booked with RC leaving 9/13!! I set up 2 tests, one on the 10th - here and one on the 12th in Ft Lauderdale area. What a waste of tests but will cancel the one on the 12th if I get the results for the 10th by then. I could not get a rapid test here, so the 12th is a rapid backup...I hadn't planned on going a day early but if I have to, I will...

13 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Just waiting to see if NCL follows suit. It's going to make things really tough for travelers!

Since NCL is still doing antigen testing upon embarkation, I don't think they are also likely to implement testing 48 hours out. 72 hours seems more than sufficient. Remember, carnival isn't doing embarkation day testing, so with their previous 72 hour requirement, there was a greater chance of passengers contracting COVID after they tested and brining it onboard. With NCL's embarkation testing and recommendation for testing 72 hours out, that is a significantly lower risk.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

Couldn't you just get one test a day or two before you embark?  Wouldn't that cover the two different requirements  (within 4 days of arrival in Bermuda, and within 72 hours for NCL's requirement)?  The Bermuda test is  required to be "within" 4 days.  It does not have to be "4 days out."

23 minutes ago, ShelleyQT said:

Couldn't you just get one test a day or two before you embark?  Wouldn't that cover the two different requirements  (within 4 days of arrival in Bermuda, and within 72 hours for NCL's requirement)?  The Bermuda test is  required to be "within" 4 days.  It does not have to be "4 days out."

No, because the test for Bermuda has to be a PCR test and the results need to be uploaded to your Travel Authorization Application more than 24 hours before your sail date. So test needs to be taken on Wednesday with results uploaded by late Friday (early Saturday at the absolute latest). PCR test results take closer to 48 hours, so it would be very risky to delay it until late Thursday in the hopes of satisfying the NCL 72 hours requirement.

26 minutes ago, ShelleyQT said:

Because you have to submit it to Bermuda to receive your travel authorization, which takes a day or so. It's a tight turnaround even getting the test 4 days out if results can take 48 hours. 

I just was looking at my United Airlines mileage account, and saw that United suggests an online service called eMed.com for supervised testing (antigen not PCR) that I am going to check on doing for our pre travel testing.

Looks as though the test is $25 and results are available in 24 hours. They use the BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test and remotely supervise administration. The test manufacturer has an app that documents results. 

This makes me feel slightly less stressed about test timing prior to travel.

Edited by Shellbelle28