How much did a cruise cost pre COVID?

13 minutes ago, pully8 said:

Cruise prices vary and will continue to do so just like any travel product.

We all have different budgets and preferences.

Always possible to find favorable pricing but it can take time to research.

Pays to look at the details because a cheap fare may not be as good a deal as it appears.

Fees and charges added or all inclusive?

If you book either with an Australian travel agent or directly with one of the cruise lines, the pricing has to include all fees and charges. The trap is looking at prices with US travel agents. Prices in the US are advertised as the base fare only but port fees and other taxes are added later.

13 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

The trap is looking at prices with US travel agents. Prices in the US are advertised as the base fare only but port fees and other taxes are added later.

That was one of the things I found frustrating about travelling in the US.  I keep forgetting their pricing is not all inclusive and got caught out by the state and local govt taxes when trying to buy something.

12 minutes ago, Snoopkat said:

That was one of the things I found frustrating about travelling in the US.  I keep forgetting their pricing is not all inclusive and got caught out by the state and local govt taxes when trying to buy something.

I agree. I remember the first time I went to the States I got caught out by that. When your not used to having to calculate all the add-on taxes it feels frustrating to try to work out the final price. I prefer our method with the total on the price tag. If you just want to know taxes just minus 10% or when you get the receipt it is on there.

Edited by frantic36

7 minutes ago, frantic36 said:

I agree. I remember the first time I went to the States I got caught out by that. When your not used to having to calculate all the add-on taxes it feels frustrating to try to work out the final price. I prefer our method with the total on the price tag. If you just want to know taxes just minus 10% or when you get the receipt it is on there.

And when in USA these days, they add up to 25% gratuity to the bill, plus the state tax, federal tax, well that was the case when we were in Honolulu, 2 years ago. Plus when in Hawaii, like Wakkiki watch out for the 'resort tax' many hotels add to your bill when you get there.

16 minutes ago, frantic36 said:

Yes it was frustrating esp when I also realised that the tax wasn't consistent across different states. I eventually got to the point where I decided I wasn't going to spend my time worrying about taxes and things cost what they cost. One of the quirks of holidaying in a different country with a different culture I guess. Ahhhh I miss my travel days, as I'm sure we all do.

10 minutes ago, NSWP said:

And when in USA these days, they add up to 25% gratuity to the bill, plus the state tax, federal tax, well that was the case when we were in Honolulu, 2 years ago. Plus when in Hawaii, like Wakkiki watch out for the 'resort tax' many hotels add to your bill when you get there.

Oof, 25%! I paid 20% gratuity in New York 4 years ago and I thought that was steep. Hawaii has never really interested me as a holiday destination though. I think the resort tax thing happens with other countries too.