Transportation FLL to MIA Hotel w/ Child (Booster Seat needed) & then Port to FLL.

pasodancer

Hi FL experts!   I'm arranging the transportation for our upcoming family cruise (Symphony 10/2).  Within the MIA area I am going to use the highly recommended Larry's Limo service to get everyone from the hotel to the port.  BUT, have son, wife & 4 year old flying into FLL on 10/1.  I need to get them from the airport to our hotel in MIA (dependable & economical).  Need a booster seat for the 4-year old.  What service would you recommend?     

AND, return from port to FLL - what service would be best (w/ booster seat)?

ALSO, if I use Uber or Lyft in MIA (going out to dinner)...does anyone know if I can request a booster seat when I reserve the vehicle?

Thank you so much!//Maria

Have you considered an inflatable booster seat?  That's what we use when our granddaughter visits.  It's easy to transport, blow up and install plus it meets all US safety standards.

There are a number available on Amazon.  We have the hiccapop UberBoost Inflatable Booster Car Seat.

Edited by capriccio

Larry's Limos will also service the FLL airport. You can request an Uber or Lyft with a car seat, but those are few in number and will be expensive. Better option is to follow the advice above and bring your own booster seat.

The only way to ensure that the seat is properly sized and maintained is to bring your own. The airline will check it for free if you choose not to use the seat on your flight.

Have a great cruise! 😎

25 minutes ago, pasodancer said:

TY - never knew about inflatable booster seats - awesome!!!!!

I had never heard about them until reading a post 3 years ago here on cruise critic.  Neither had my daughter.  Everyone, including the granddaughter, love it. 

2 hours ago, pasodancer said:

TY - never knew about inflatable booster seats - awesome!!!!!

and TY about Larry's Limo service for FLL to MIA!

Happy to help, neighbor. Way back in the stone ages I lived in VA Beach - fun town!

2 hours ago, JohninDC said:

Happy to help, neighbor. Way back in the stone ages I lived in VA Beach - fun town!

TYVM!!!   Love VB - except on holiday weekends!  Just wish we had a better selection of cruise ships leaving from Norfolk (right now only Carnival) during Fleet Week.

The best inflatable is BubbleBum on Amazon.

For private transportation we've used Southwest Florida Shuttle service.

They provide a car or booster seat...great service from them and highly recommended.

• Like 1

Got the quote from Larry's - hotel (Marriott Biscayne Bay) to Port - 5 adults / 1 child in a booster seat was $148.90.  

Also got a quote from Larry's - FLL to hotel (2 adults / 1 child) $190.

We went ahead and book from hotel to port, but will use Uber for FLL to hotel.

1 hour ago, pasodancer said:

Got the quote from Larry's - hotel (Marriott Biscayne Bay) to Port - 5 adults / 1 child in a booster seat was $148.90.  

Did you even try getting a quote from South Florida Shuttles?

3 hours ago, pasodancer said:

Marriott Biscayne to POM is about a 5-10 minute ride (you can see the port from the hotel!) - that's where I would use Uber or a cab.  Enjoy the limo on the longer ride from FLL to your hotel.

just an FYI - not every inflatable booster is equally good at saving your child's life.

Bubblebum has a really good seat belt for kids over 40# and has a minimum of 40# for use. It's a great travel booster.

We, however, flew with a conventional no back booster (Harmony Juvenile/Youth, Cosco Rise, Graco Turbo GO are very good) like this, using the woven bag as a personal item:

20181224_152934.jpg.bd2c1ff7ec6ca475d0b9864aa216332c.thumb.jpg.aa98ba70b929537d77fa8ed236d97cd0.jpg49895619_2112008838857958_3406665233375166464_n.jpg.e0ea6f587a633689406b3717f7f3faf9.jpg

and used it at destinations for taxi and uber/lyft rides since DS was 4. However, DS is tall and heavy and was the size of a 5 yo at 4. He had a good seat belt fit in his Harmony Youth booster starting at about 46"/46#. A child needs to be able to sit properly in a booster for the entire ride, otherwise, the booster will not save his/her life in a survivable accident. Most 4 yo kids are not ready for this on a full time basis, but do well enough on short rides during travel.

If a child cannot sit properly in a booster, I would use their harnessed seat on the plane and at destination. Evenflo Maestro is great for travel (if the kid is under 50#), and so is Graco Tranzitions/Wayz.

More great info: https://community.babycenter.com/groups/a10635/traveling_with_children

23 hours ago, JohninDC said:

Marriott Biscayne to POM is about a 5-10 minute ride (you can see the port from the hotel!) - that's where I would use Uber or a cab.  Enjoy the limo on the longer ride from FLL to your hotel.

5 adults & 1 child - 8 suitcases, 5 carry-on & personal items.....need our own vehicle.

19 minutes ago, JohninDC said:

Or split into two $10 UberX cars - your call! 

That would be a good call - but w/ all the dang stress - I wanted a sure thing.  Yes, I would have saved a heck of a lot of $ using Uber XL - but my luck there wouldn't be any available for when I needed them.  I just need to insure we all get our pre-tests successfully completed, flights on time, hotel with no issues and luggage arriving when we do, etc.   - I  am doing everything possible to make it as stress less as possible.   Will definitely use Uber from port back to airport!