Where to get Rapid Antigen Covid test in San Juan

Sea Dog

Does anyone know where I can get a rapid antigen test in San Juan. The airport testing sites are doing PCR which may not get results in time. CVS and Walgreens in San Juan appear to not have testing when I go to their websites. Anyone with ideas or experiences?

On 9/6/2021 at 9:20 PM, Sea Dog said:

Does anyone know where I can get a rapid antigen test in San Juan. The airport testing sites are doing PCR which may not get results in time. CVS and Walgreens in San Juan appear to not have testing when I go to their websites. Anyone with ideas or experiences?

Just curious. Why would you need to get a rapid antigen test in San Juan? 

3 minutes ago, Goldconnection said:

Just curious. Why would you need to get a rapid antigen test in San Juan? 

I have the BinaxNow AG- Card tests that we will taking with us when we arrive on Friday before Sunday's departure. We would of tested at home the day before we leave but Royal now does the 2 day which puts us already in San Juan. We will test via the procter but I would like to have a backup. Rather be safe than sorry.

Edited by Sea Dog

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

I have the BinaxNow AG- Card tests that we will taking with us when we arrive on Friday before Sunday's departure. We would of tested at home the day before we leave but Royal now does the 2 day which puts us already in San Juan. We will test via the procter but I would like to have a backup. Rather be safe than sorry.

Thanks…I wanted to make sure this was not something for NCL. Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
40 minutes ago, catcruizer said:

NAAT, not PCR

NAAT tests for COVID typically are PCR. In fact when cruise lines and the like ask for PCR testing they really should be asking for NAAT . PCR is just a methodology.

https://www.biron.com/en/glossary/pcr-naat/

https://scdhec.gov/covid19/covid-19-testing-type-information

Types of tests

1. Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) or Nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT): This type of testing, also called molecular or viral testing, is done by swabbing the nose or mouth or collecting saliva. The test detects a part of the virus’s genetic material. It is currently considered the best test to determine if someone was recently infected with the virus, but people can continue to test positive with this test long after they are no longer contagious and are no longer at risk of spreading the virus. CDC provides further information on this type of testing.

https://testguide.labmed.uw.edu/public/guideline/covid_faq_patients#:~:text=Yes%2C PCR is the most,CoV-2 in a sample.

Is the SARS-CoV-2 PCR test offered by UW Virology a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT)?

Yes, PCR is the most commonly used NAAT technique for detecting specific nucleic acid in a sample. NAAT techniques such as PCR and TMA are both sensitive and specific for detecting the presence of SARS-CoV-2 in a sample

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/lab/naats.html

NAATs can use many different methods to amplify nucleic acids and detect the virus, including but not limited to:

• Reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR)
Edited by njhorseman

On 10/10/2021 at 10:40 AM, catcruizer said:

You should be able to get an ID Now test at the Barbosa Walgreens. The test takes about an hour to perform. It's a molecular test (NAAT, not PCR).

https://www.walgreens.com/findcare/covid19/testing?ban=covidfy21_newtestingpg_3types

Is Barbosa in Puerto Rico or in MO?  It looks like the OP needs to have a test location in San Juan.  He is arriving in San Juan two days before the cruise, so testing at home would be outside the 2 day requirement.  

I'm following this thread.  I also need a location in San Juan as a backup plan.  Any help is appreciated.  

• Like 1

429 Ave Barbosa, San Juan, Puerto Rico

The only problem with Walgreens is that they have drive-thru Covid testing. I know that our local Walgreens do not allow walk-thru. RCI's website does list limited Covid testing at the terminal by appointment.

• Like 1

That's why I think we are just going to do it through the Binax Now AG-Card proctored test. We have 6 test kits for 3 people so we should be ok. Would be nice to have a backup. I have not heard if Royal will have 3rd party at the terminal doing testing for a fee like they are in another port.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm following this thread as well.  We are arrive in SJ 2 days before our cruise.  I've never done the video proctored test.  Are they available 24/7?  Do you make a video appointment or do you just log in and wait?  We are arriving on a Friday afternoon.  Alternatively, we are staying in Old San Juan.  Are there clinics open that do the rapid tests?