Covid PCR/Antigen Testing Prior To Cruise Departure

annandme

14 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

If possible, price, covered by medicare or health insurance, etc?

I’ve read that it MAY be.  Abbott six pack AG card from emed is $150 - $25 each.  No direct assignment, so one would have to submit for reimbursement.  Which, of course, is subject to deductibles, T&Cs etc.  I didn’t bother.  There was also a label on the shipping box with a notice that the expiration date was extended from that on the individual test kits. 

28 minutes ago, Jockocruiser said:

I’ve read that it MAY be.  Abbott six pack AG card from emed is $150 - $25 each.  No direct assignment, so one would have to submit for reimbursement.  Which, of course, is subject to deductibles, T&Cs etc.  I didn’t bother.  There was also a label on the shipping box with a notice that the expiration date was extended from that on the individual test kits. 

Bought a 2-pack for $70.  Shipped same day as ordered, supposed to be here tomorrow.  Out of pocket...but it is insurance for a 10K plus investment, so IMO worth it.

We are going to use it as a backup, as we will be tested the day before we fly out and that should meet the 3-4 days prior timing whether that meant departure from home or embarkation.

Edited by nikless

2 minutes ago, nikless said:

Bought a 2-pack for $70.  Shipped same day as ordered, supposed to be here tomorrow.  Out of pocket...but it is insurance for a 10K plus investment, so IMO worth it.

We are going to use it as a backup, as we will be tested the day before we fly out and that should meet the 3-4 days prior timing whether that meant departure from home or embarkation.

Though I still want to research it further (including talking to Medicare and my insurance supplement provider), we may opt for the six pack - depending in part on the shelf life of the reagents. We’ve already got two O cruises upcoming in January and May 2022 and will add a third around TG of that year.

2 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Though I still want to research it further (including talking to Medicare and my insurance supplement provider), we may opt for the six pack - depending in part on the shelf life of the reagents. We’ve already got two O cruises upcoming in January and May 2022 and will add a third around TG of that year.

When I was looking at the 6-pk and 2-pk yesterday, the (extended) expiration dates were in December 2021.

My plan is to get cheaper "home tests" (no proof to show) and if I test positive, I'll get a traceable test since I will be "symptomatic". My travel insurance covers Covid-related issues, so if my home test keeps being negative, I'll show up for O's test at embarkation. If I still fail that, my insurance kicks in. Why would I pay $250 (or more) to test two people when my annual travel insurance cost $560 and covers me (O's coverage is after travel insurance)? There is a massive shortage of rapid antigen tests right now, so I would feel greedy using one if I don't need to.

1 hour ago, Jockocruiser said:

Abbott works well.  Quick learning curve, just needs a decent internet connection

Leaving Fort Lauderdale on Royal Odyssey of the Seas right now.  We booked Thursday tested Friday with the Binaxnow AG Card which was easy.  Like the old days lol we booked this past Thursday and 3 days later cruising. On O in a few months.  This is just a warm up.

42 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Yes watch that expiration our six just received expire December 21, 2021.

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

If possible, price, covered by medicare or health insurance, etc?

I sent a claim in not sure they will pay me.  Cost was $164.95 for six and arrived the next day Fed Ex.

It's got to be a delicate balance for Oceania. They want to ensure as close to zero people board the ship who have Covid as possible. This means getting an accurate test as close to boarding as possible, but they also need to give their customers time to get tested, get results, and get to the ship. Personally my plan is to schedule a PCR test for Wednesday with my flight departing on Friday.

On 10/3/2021 at 3:26 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

If I use one of SFO’s labs’ results timing  (e.g.,  just hours for emailed PCR results) as an example, I can’t see Heathrow charging more than $200 USD/pp. In one sense, that’s not much in the grand scheme of things.   

Oh, to be back home in California!  I mentioned in a different thread that we were just charged $790 per person by Holy Cross in Fort Lauderdale for PCR tests before flying to Portugal!  CVS (and several other places) would have been a whole lot cheaper but they couldn't guarantee we'd get the results before our flight.

10 minutes ago, nikless said:

Not “just,” the most recent version is 9/27/21. In any case, 

The FAQs change from time to time. The most recent version is dated September 27, 2021 and it’s very clear about the consequences of not having negative test results within 72 hrs of travel. Note that it has removed any  mention of “at home” which was included in the August 10, 2021 FAQs version:

Here is the August 10 version:

Oceania Cruise strongly encourages all guests to take a COVID-19 PCR test at home, 3 to 4 days prior to traveling to the ship, as an added precaution. If a PCR test is not readily available, then we encourage guests to at a minimum take a COVID-19 Antigen test at home, prior to travel.

And here is the latest FAQs  9/27/21 statement:

Am I required to test for Covid prior to traveling?
.......Even if the country where your cruise embarks does not require a negative Covid-19 PCR test for entry, Oceania Cruises strongly recommends you obtain a PCR test not more than 72 hours prior to travel. If a PCR test is not readily available, then we encourage guests to at a minimum take a laboratory administered COVID-19 Antigen test not more than 72 hours prior to travel. Guests that fail to test prior to departure or cannot provide proof of a negative laboratory supplied test result and subsequently test positive for COVID-19 upon embarkation will not be reimbursed for quarantine or return travel arrangements.

Again, note that any mention of “at home” has been removed from the FAQs. Note also the term “prior to departure” (in this case, aka embarkation). Also remember that negative test results prior to 72 hours before embarkation are absolutely useless. Clearly, what O is saying is that they will cover Covid related costs only if you demonstrate that Covid is not a PEC.

25 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Not “just,” the most recent version is 9/27/21. In any case, 

The FAQs change from time to time. The most recent version is dated September 27, 2021 and it’s very clear about the consequences of not having negative test results within 72 hrs of travel. Note that it has removed any  mention of “at home” which was included in the August 10, 2021 FAQs version:

Here is the August 10 version:

Oceania Cruise strongly encourages all guests to take a COVID-19 PCR test at home, 3 to 4 days prior to traveling to the ship, as an added precaution. If a PCR test is not readily available, then we encourage guests to at a minimum take a COVID-19 Antigen test at home, prior to travel.

And here is the latest FAQs  9/27/21 statement:

Am I required to test for Covid prior to traveling?
.......Even if the country where your cruise embarks does not require a negative Covid-19 PCR test for entry, Oceania Cruises strongly recommends you obtain a PCR test not more than 72 hours prior to travel. If a PCR test is not readily available, then we encourage guests to at a minimum take a laboratory administered COVID-19 Antigen test not more than 72 hours prior to travel. Guests that fail to test prior to departure or cannot provide proof of a negative laboratory supplied test result and subsequently test positive for COVID-19 upon embarkation will not be reimbursed for quarantine or return travel arrangements.

Again, note that any mention of “at home” has been removed from the FAQs. Note also the term “prior to departure” (in this case, aka embarkation). Also remember that negative test results prior to 72 hours before embarkation are absolutely useless. Clearly, what O is saying is that they will cover Covid related costs only if you demonstrate that Covid is not a PEC.

My website says they are dated October 13 at the top.  The footer wasn't changed, still says Sep 27. ( bad proofreading, which will doom us all)

From what I gather, it removed clinical trial vaccines as accepted by O.

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/sites/default/files/2021-10/sailf-safe-health-program-v17.pdf

And it says this...

Even if the country where your cruise embarks does not require a negative Covid-19 PCR test for entry, Oceania Cruises strongly recommends you obtain a PCR test not more than 72 hours prior to embarkation. If a PCR test is not readily available, then we encourage guests to at a minimum take a laboratory administered COVID-19 Antigen test not more than 72 hours prior to travel. Guests that fail to test prior to departure or cannot provide proof of a negative laboratory supplied test result and subsequently test positive for COVID-19 upon embarkation will not be reimbursed for quarantine or return embarkation arrangements.

See my bold...Why say embarkation in one case then travel in another????

Edited by nikless
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, nikless said:

My website says they are dated October 13 at the top.  The footer wasn't changed, still says Sep 27. ( bad proofreading, which will doom us all)

From what I gather, it removed clinical trial vaccines as accepted by O.

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/sites/default/files/2021-10/sailf-safe-health-program-v17.pdf

And it says this...

Even if the country where your cruise embarks does not require a negative Covid-19 PCR test for entry, Oceania Cruises strongly recommends you obtain a PCR test not more than 72 hours prior to embarkation. If a PCR test is not readily available, then we encourage guests to at a minimum take a laboratory administered COVID-19 Antigen test not more than 72 hours prior to travel. Guests that fail to test prior to departure or cannot provide proof of a negative laboratory supplied test result and subsequently test positive for COVID-19 upon embarkation will not be reimbursed for quarantine or return embarkation arrangements.

See my bold...Why say embarkation in one case then travel in another????

Thanks for the update. 
Perhaps a bit more clear in finally mentioning “embarkation.” Might you agree that the next iteration will say only “embarkation”?

In any case, the only “safe” choice (healthwise and legally) is test w/I 72 hrs of embarkation.

We haven’t gotten our boarding time yet, but I’m guessing we get that at check in. So that is the time we’re counting the 72 hours from? We would pad it to be 68 or whatever, but that’s the time? 

15 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Thanks for the update. 
Perhaps a bit more clear in finally mentioning “embarkation.” Might you agree that the next iteration will say only “embarkation”?

In any case, the only “safe” choice (healthwise and legally) is test w/I 72 hrs of embarkation.

Agree...I bet it's another clerical proof reading miss.  I will have to search the forums to see what was said before, because I know it was posed somewhere...

Flogging the same horse….

The Abbott Bimax AG test card is a CLIA LABORATORY approved test.  Results in 15 minutes.  “Green” QR code and lab result detailed in the NAVICA app.  We just did this for four of us two days ago.  Accepted without any questions in Florence and Paris today!  Did the same on our departure from the USA. 

Obvious challenge if you are doing an independent pre-cruise tour or hotel stay greater than three days.  But again, as the Binax is purchased as a six-pack, a couple would have enough for the outbound airline requirement, cruise, embarkation, and return flight documentation.

Edited by Jockocruiser

29 minutes ago, Jockocruiser said:

Flogging the same horse….

The Abbott Bimax AG test card is a CLIA LABORATORY approved test.  Results in 15 minutes.  “Green” QR code and lab result detailed in the NAVICA app.  We just did this for four of us two days ago.  Accepted without any questions in Florence and Paris today!  Did the same on our departure from the USA. 

Obvious challenge if you are doing an independent pre-cruise tour or hotel stay greater than three days.  But again, as the Binax is purchased as a six-pack, a couple would have enough for the outbound airline requirement, cruise, embarkation, and return flight documentation.

How long did you have to wait for the telemedicine connection? Or can you make an appointment beforehand?

12 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

How long did you have to wait for the telemedicine connection? Or can you make an appointment beforehand?

Just got back from cruising and used this.

1)  download Navica app as this is used for the testing.

2)  Open emed.com in Chrome only (I was told) and answer the few questions. Using it for a cruise is one of the answers that you give.  The connection was within a minute. They don't do appointments.

There are alot of youtube videos out there also. It took a few minutes to test and then they come back on after 15 minutes when you click that you are ready for them.  They look at the test card and I was done. They send the results by email to print. 

Booked on Thursday tested on Friday and was cruising on Sunday.

Emed is helpful on the phone as well when you order the tests.  They will answer any questions. Pretty easy using it again in 3 weeks our next cruise.  We will use it on O in a couple months.

15 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

The Process is very efficient once connected to the emed.com portal.  Wait of less than 3 minutes for our  six tests to connect to a “guide”.  No appointment.  We did four Monday at 11am Central European time - 5am ET!

We all used iPads, it was a little convoluted as the process uses both front and back cameras.  There was some difficulty due to interaction with the guides due to language accents.  Appeared that most guides were in India, two in each session separated by 15 minute countdown after the nasal swab to reveal the result.  

Complicated only because inexperienced  users each had to create new profiles on emed.com for the online web portion and the NAVICA download of their app.   

While connected at the end of the session - instant results.  Email confirmation follows with links to the app where the QR code and lab certificate show in the app.   We found airline personnel were familiar with the app too.  Rep took the phone, swiped from the QR code to the lab page and handed it back.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jockocruiser said:

The Process is very efficient once connected to the emed.com portal.  Wait of less than 3 minutes for our  six tests to connect to a “guide”.  No appointment.  We did four Monday at 11am Central European time - 5am ET!

We all used iPads, it was a little convoluted as the process uses both front and back cameras.  There was some difficulty due to interaction with the guides due to language accents.  Appeared that most guides were in India, two in each session separated by 15 minute countdown after the nasal swab to reveal the result.  

Complicated only because inexperienced  users each had to create new profiles on emed.com for the online web portion and the NAVICA download of their app.   

While connected at the end of the session - instant results.  Email confirmation follows with links to the app where the QR code and lab certificate show in the app.   We found airline personnel were familiar with the app too.  Rep took the phone, swiped from the QR code to the lab page and handed it back.

Another poster said one has to use chrome browser. But you used iPad. Did you use Safari and was it ok?

1 minute ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Another poster said one has to use chrome browser. But you used iPad. Did you use Safari and was it ok?

Curious what the answer is.  Emed told us to use Chrome so we did. 

Yes, we used four different iPads, different generations, all using Safari.  No browser issues.  Even in an old Tuscany villa where the wifi was less than 2mbs the connection was fine.  Though we couldn’t connect to more than one session at a time.

2 hours ago, Jockocruiser said:

Yes, we used four different iPads, different generations, all using Safari.  No browser issues.  Even in an old Tuscany villa where the wifi was less than 2mbs the connection was fine.  Though we couldn’t connect to more than one session at a time.

Thanks