Does Royal Still Provide PCR Test to Return to Home Country?

LuCruise

For cruises out of the U.S.....My understanding is that if we need a PCR test in order to return to our home country after the cruise, then Royal will provide this (and free of charge).  However, I am looking at Royal's site, and I can't find this listed anywhere for cruises out of the U.S.  

Is this still the case?  And if so, I assume you can arrange at guest services?

On Symphony last few weeks they tested all kids, B2B and people needing tests for out of country flights the last morning (6am-8am).  They have a departure questionaire that you fill out a few days early and a QR code link to a reservation system for the test.  Worked pretty well except for getting up at 6am on Coco Cay morning.  People with kids weren't allowed off the ship if they hadn't gotten their test.  As B2B, we were not charged for testing.  Not sure if they charged for testing for flights home.

Edited by LeeW
clarity

On 9/21/2021 at 2:42 PM, LuCruise said:

For cruises out of the U.S.....My understanding is that if we need a PCR test in order to return to our home country after the cruise, then Royal will provide this (and free of charge).  However, I am looking at Royal's site, and I can't find this listed anywhere for cruises out of the U.S.  

Is this still the case?  And if so, I assume you can arrange at guest services?

We just got off of a B2B on Serenade Of The Seas on Monday. An antigen test, with a negative result, was required at the end of the first cruise in order to be allowed to cruise on the second cruise.

We booked a PCR test on Wednesday of the second cruise, for Sunday morning at 9am, we had to go back at 4pm to pick up our results. The tests were complimentary. I hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LeeW said:

On Symphony last few weeks they tested all kids, B2B and people needing tests for out of country flights the last morning (6am-8am).  They have a departure questionaire that you fill out a few days early and a QR code link to a reservation system for the test.  Worked pretty well except for getting up at 6am on Coco Cay morning.  People with kids weren't allowed off the ship if they hadn't gotten their test.  As B2B, we were not charged for testing.  Not sure if they charged for testing for flights home.

Kids arriving back into PC flying home US didn't have to have one on the last morning did they?

The PCR test was available to us for free on the ship when we sailed on Ovation in Aug. I read today that protocols were released for Oct 16-31 sailings, and these don’t mention free PCR testing for those who need it (when we sailed, the protocols clearly stated that we could get complimentary PCR tests if needed for travel).  I wonder if this is a new protocol, and if so, it’s going to be a challenge for those of us who need the PCR test to travel home (but a cost savings for Royal Caribbean).  We will have to debark the ship, find a place to book a rapid PCR test (more $$, especially for our family of 4) and make sure flights are booked for later in the day, or stay a few days after the cruise until we get the results. Very inconvenient and costly. Our next cruise is in Dec/Jan, I hope there will be an easier process if testing is still required. When is your cruise?

Edited by karebare22
Grammar mistake

Thank you for the replies.  We will be returning to Canada so need the PCR test (not antigen)

32 minutes ago, karebare22 said:

The PCR test was available to us for free on the ship when we sailed on Ovation in Aug. I read today that protocols were released for Oct 16-31 sailings, and these don’t mention free PCR testing for those who need it (when we sailed, the protocols clearly stated that we could get complimentary PCR tests if needed for travel).  I wonder if this is a new protocol, and if so, it’s going to be a challenge for those of us who need the PCR test to travel home (but a cost savings for Royal Caribbean).  We will have to debark the ship, find a place to book a rapid PCR test (more $$, especially for our family of 4) and make sure flights are booked for later in the day, or stay a few days after the cruise until we get the results. Very inconvenient and costly. Our next cruise is in Dec/Jan, I hope there will be an easier process if testing is still required. When is your cruise?

This is what I noticed.  I was looking at Royal site and couldn't find anything about a complimentary PCR test if needed to return home for cruises out of the US.  I could have sworn I did see this before.  This will be an issue if they don't provide it (even at cost if really required) as our flight is 4ish of the same day we return.  Our cruise is end of December.

OK....so I just found something on Royal's site about getting a test to return to your own country.  It's a bit confusing (and not clear) as it's under the section for "Kids Age 2-11" years old...and it doesn't exactly specify PCR test nor complimentary (except in the heading)...but I think this section is what is needed.  

See second sentence under second bullet in Kids 2-11 section.  Sounds like we are good, right?

image.png.dc3cb592fd4a33180735ab6f59f5db38.png

Edited by LuCruise

20 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

See second sentence under second bullet in Kids 2-11 section.  Sounds like we are good, right?

Yes, that sounds good, hopefully this PCR testing will stay! We are also sailing again at the end of Dec/early Jan. They do the quick PCR test onboard, we had our results delivered to the stateroom less than 2 hours after the test.

6 minutes ago, karebare22 said:

Yes, that sounds good, hopefully this PCR testing will stay! We are also sailing again at the end of Dec/early Jan. They do the quick PCR test onboard, we had our results delivered to the stateroom less than 2 hours after the test

That's great. Don't the PCR tests take at least 48 hours?  

2 hours ago, Ashland said:

Kids arriving back into PC flying home US didn't have to have one on the last morning did they?

Unvaccinated children on cruises of more than five days have to take an antigen test in order to disembark. Our grandson had to have the test on the second to the last day. We received the results via email within a couple of hours.

• Thanks 1

We had pcr tests done at the end of our cruise on September 18th on the odyssey.  Made an appointment for 8am and were told the paper results would be done by noon.  After checking our room several times we still had no results back.  A couple trips to guest services and by 9:30 pm we had our negative tests.  We figured we were not positive or they would have come looking for us lol.  They stated the reason for this was that one other guests test had the wrong name or room number on it for that day.  Just be aware that you may have to track down where your test is.  Make sure they spell your name properly and have the right room number.  As with everything else it is changing daily and likely will until the pandemic is more under control.  

• Like 1