Tampa Hotels area Ybor City?

bikerunner

Thinking of staying in Hotel Haya in Ybor City for my cruise out of Tampa.  Not familiar with area or what is a good area ie hotel to stay at pre cruise out of tampa.  Like to be able to walk to a restaurant etc close by.  Have not been to Tampa for many years

We are staying in Ybor (was told it is pronounced EBOR) at the Hilton there. Was told it is a good area for Tampa with restaurants close by. Someone who works for my husband is living in the area and taking us to a Cuban/Spanish restaurant called Columbia. Not sure they have a shuttle to the port but it is not far.

Columbia is a venerable restaurant in Ybor City.  It is one of several places which claims to have invented the Cuban sandwich.

It's been years since I've been there, but they had a wealth of pictures and artifacts of Tampa's old time cigar rolling business.

On 9/30/2021 at 5:41 AM, cruiserone said:

We are staying in Ybor (was told it is pronounced EBOR) at the Hilton there. Was told it is a good area for Tampa with restaurants close by. Someone who works for my husband is living in the area and taking us to a Cuban/Spanish restaurant called Columbia. Not sure they have a shuttle to the port but it is not far.

As a Tampa native, Ybor is not a "good area" for Tampa. It has a lot of good bars and restaurants and is somewhat close to the ships, but it is a "rough" and high crime area. I would recommend moving to Channelside or Downtown if you are looking for a "good area".

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I agree, I live in Channelside and Ybor is a little risky off the main road and at night after dark.  It is a party town.  If you can stay in a hotel in Downtown Tampa or Channelside.  Channelside is walking distance to the port and there are new hotels and plenty of bars and restaurants to eat in while you are staying here.  Plus is also a CVS and Publix within walking distance.

Good eats - Maloney's, Cena, City Dog in Grand Central Courtyard.  Sparkmans Wharf is within walking distance.  Gelato To Go is delicious!  There are some great options!

There is a free trolley that can take you into Ybor for dinner and take you our quickly.

There are also several new and newer hotels in downtown and Channelside.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions, I live across the street from the Port.

• 1 month later...

Going pre-cruise to Tampa Easter 2022 and looking for Channelside (prefer with shuttle to pier) as we have a young one with us..  Have been to Embassy Suites years ago, and am considering it again!  Any input on other venues would be appreciated!  Arriving day prior around 1 PM..  

16 hours ago, stlrboo said:

Going pre-cruise to Tampa Easter 2022 and looking for Channelside (prefer with shuttle to pier) as we have a young one with us..  Have been to Embassy Suites years ago, and am considering it again!  Any input on other venues would be appreciated!  Arriving day prior around 1 PM..  

Marriott Water St and if you want a bit fancier try the new JW Marriott Water St...they are both connected. You can hop the free trolley or even walk to the pier from both.

Edited by bajathree