Cruise Line Stocks....

WindinmySails

Carnival Corp gives on board credit for 100 shares. Amount varies by length of cruise. Up to 250$. What's nice is the fact they allow you to stack the credit. So, 100$ for stock, 100$ for veterans =200$ etc.

34 minutes ago, WindinmySails said:

I do have some cruise line stocks but wondered which lines give you benefits if you are a stock holder, and how much stock do you need to have?  

100 shares minimum is the requirement for Carnival Corporation as well as Royal  Caribbean International.  

I have owned both for many years.  CCL is my longest continuous holding through "thick and thin".  I sold my RCI holdings in late 2008, but bought more in early 2009.  That was a good investment for me and I ought to have bought more CCL at that time.  Past dividends, reinvested, and the on board credit for being a shareholder are reasons why I remain a shareholder of these two well managed companies.  

At one time, don't know if it is still true, Royal Caribbean International was not stackable, meaning that it could not be combined with many other forms of on board credit. We found that we did better with the other credits instead of taking the stockholder credits.  Carnival Corp does allow stacking, so almost all other forms of on board credit are allowed with the stockholder credit. 

19 hours ago, KreinKrunker said:

Royal Caribbean International was not stackable,

The only time I have tried to use my RCI shareholder benefit was for my Celebrity cruise.  Too long ago to remember the restrictions, but it was not as "easy to apply to my account" as the CCL shareholder benefit has been.  The "regulations" may have changed since then.  

13 hours ago, sfaaa said:

Carnival stock is the cheapest to buy if you don't want to tie up a lot of cash.

"Cheapest" is not the best reason to make an investment decision. 

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

The only time I have tried to use my RCI shareholder benefit was for my Celebrity cruise.  Too long ago to remember the restrictions, but it was not as "easy to apply to my account" as the CCL shareholder benefit has been.  The "regulations" may have changed since then.  

"Cheapest" is not the best reason to make an investment decision. 

My advice (and I rarely give investment advice) is that if you are relatively young and are addicted to cruising then you should consider owning stock in the major cruise companies.  We are taking RCI, CCL and even Norwegian Holdings!  We have owned RCI and CCL for many years, and since we are investors (not speculators) it was simply a matter of buying the two stocks when we realized we would likely be cruising for decades to come.  Our return on investment is tremendous (especially with CCL) because of the continued payout in OBCs.  Our initial purchase of CCL cost us about $2200.  Since then we have received more then $10000 in OBCs not to mention stock dividends.  RCI has also paid off several times our original investment (we are talking ROI of hundreds of percent).  Why?  Because we are avid cruisers and these stocks continue to pay us $250 for just about every cruise (our booking are almost always more then 2 weeks long).  

The one stock we do not own is NCLH which, until now, has been fine since we rarely cruise on their products.  But that may be changing (we have an interest in cruising "O" and would happily return to Azamara) so perhaps we should have also purchased that stock a few years ago.

One warning to folks.  RCI has previously played games with their shareholder credit (this has not happened with CCL) denying the shareholder benefit to those who booked many of their best fare deals.  So, there is always some risk (like with any investment) that these corporations will stop the benefits.

Hank

• Like 1

On 10/4/2021 at 6:59 PM, Hlitner said:

if you are relatively young and are addicted to cruising then you should consider owning stock in the major cruise companies.  We are taking RCI, CCL and even Norwegian Holdings!  We have owned RCI and CCL for many years, and since we are investors (not speculators) it was simply a matter of buying the two stocks when we realized we would likely be cruising for decades to come.  Our return on investment is tremendous (especially with CCL) because of the continued payout in OBCs.

You are describing this investor.  When cruise line stocks sank in 2008-2009, I sold RCI as it was plunging.  Took a loss that helped on that year's 1040.  After the required 30 day waiting period, bought even more than I had held.  It was a good investment decision.  I ought to have done the same with my CCL holdings, but CCL wasn't taking the same kind of "hit" that RCI was at that time.

stock dividends. 

Have long reinvested dividends and that has been a winning decision as well.

The one stock we do not own is NCLH

Neither do I nor am I planning on buying it.  Their balance sheet troubles me.  The changes in ownership/management troubles me.  Too many product reviews that I think are disappointing.  

RCI has previously played games with their shareholder credit (this has not happened with CCL) denying the shareholder benefit to those who booked many of their best fare deals. 

This is what I experienced with trying to use my RCI shareholder credit when booking a Celebrity cruises.  Just another experience that has made me a more consistent guest of one of the brands of CCL.  

Oil is forecast to go up this year. Airlines downgraded yesterday and cruiseline stocks followed. 

CEO of carnival said a while back he hoped to return to profitability by 2023. .. going to be tough at the discounted prices they are offering. 

• Thanks 1