Checking a walker

woozles

Good Morning,

My husband is a recent amputee. He should have his prosthetic by the time we cruise. But we are not sure how adjusted he will be to walking on the prosthetic and at this time plan to bring his wheel chair and walker. Additionally I have a cpap that i will carry on. He can sit in the wheelchair at embarkation. I am just a little leary about carrying the walker, the cpap, our paperwork and other things we don't check. He should only need the walker at night to get to the bathroom at night. I am wondering about whether to check his walker or not.

thanks

vicki

Request wheelchair assistance at the port.   Someone from the cruise line or the port can push him while you walk alongside.   At some ports, one of the port employees (like the ones who take your luggage and put it on the carts) may push him from where you give them your luggage to a certain point.   Thereafter, a cruise line employee will usually take over the wheelchair pushing.   We always tip these people.   

If you have someone else pushing him, you can actually push the walker and place your CPAP on the seat of the walker.  We've done this many times; the walker seat makes a good place to put things.

Make sure you contact your cruise line's Access Department (do a search on the word wheelchair on your cruise line's website to find contact information for them) and advise that department of your needs.   They will have you complete a form.   Tell them about your CPAP, too, because they will provide distilled water and an extension cord.   

Do not let any of your mobility equipment out of your sight.  You do not want the walker to not show up in your room.  

Another idea to consider going forward, is to rent a scooter for him.   Your cruise line website will list the rental companies they allow on the ship.   The scooter would be in your room when you embark and you leave it there when you disembark.   You can just fold up the wheelchair and leave it in the room and use the scooter.   He will have more freedom (not having to rely on someone to push the wheelchair) and you will not have to push him.   Ships are huge and so are most docks.   It's a lot of walking (and work) for someone to push a wheelchair.   In our case, scooters are a life saver.   You would need to book an accessible stateroom to accommodate a scooter.

If you need more help, include the name of the cruise line you'll be on.   

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

My sister and I recently cruised and she uses a walker. She requested wheelchair assistance at the pier so they came and got her and I followed along pushing her walker with our purses on it. It worked just fine.

The guy pushing her wheelchair took us all the way to the Windjammer. No problem at all. 

• Like 3