Seeking safe solo things to do right in Nassau

alleghator

My upcoming cruise will dock in Nassau but my husband will remain onboard (attempting to get some work done online). I am not interested in booking a ship (or other) tour. What is there to do right at the port? Is this a safe enough area for a middle-aged female tourist to walk around on my own? What about the Queen's Staircase or other attractions?

On 10/14/2021 at 10:27 AM, alleghator said:

My upcoming cruise will dock in Nassau but my husband will remain onboard (attempting to get some work done online). I am not interested in booking a ship (or other) tour. What is there to do right at the port? Is this a safe enough area for a middle-aged female tourist to walk around on my own? What about the Queen's Staircase or other attractions?

Not much at the port right now.  It's all under construction.

I did a b2b solo cruise in September and stopped in Nassau twice. 

I walked downtown for a bit and then walked to Junkanoo beach. It has been cleaned up nicely since the last time I was there in 2017. 

I rented a chair both days and read a good book, had a few drinks and swam a bit too cool off. 

I never felt unsafe walking around. But then again, I am used to walking in downtown Chicago by myself. Always have situational awareness wherever you are. 

If I didn't have DH with me I would probably take a cab to John Watling's Distillery.  You can take a tour, very informative and free, then drink a delicious pina colada at the bar/store.  IMO, the best I have ever tasted!  I would feel safe enough to walk down hill a block or so and check out Graycliff Hotel, an elegant place that you can do a self guided tour around the main grounds.  At least you could before Covid.  There are a number of cute shops on this pretty street. Then walk the few blocks down hill to the shops and then the port.

Have a great cruise!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/23/2021 at 6:55 AM, Burrata said:

What about a food tour? Highly recommend this company. https://www.trubahamianfoodtours.com/

My husband and I did the Bites of Nassau, we really enjoyed it and our guide was great!

I did this a few years ago.  It is fun.  I can't remember where it started but it ends pretty close to the port .

We were just there last week and walked from the port to John Watlings (only to find out we were there before they opened) so we walked over to the Queen's staircase, then walked back to John Watlings. From there we walked to Junkanoo beach for a few hours then back on the ship.

There were 4 of us but we never felt unsafe. The first person to approach us was at the staircase (to give us a 'tour') and then at a small liquor store across the street from the beach. 

• 2 weeks later...

We did a foodie walking tour in Nassau several years ago while in port (we usually do them in the different places we travel). I can't recall which one we did, but it was definitely not a ship's excursion. It was great!  Lots of good food tastings at several different places, including Graycliff.  Definitely worth it!