Viking, please help and fix this!

kjbacon

Maybe this will help clarify things for some of you?  

We received this email from Viking two days ago (10-19) for our 11-17-21 cruise out of FLL.  It matches what shows under Resources but not MVJ, at least not yet. (It also showed our names and booking number next to the name of the cruise which I didn’t want to post here, and it was also sent to our TA.)

No mention of BinaxNow home test being accepted or not but regardless, I'd say THIS IS going to be the definitive confirmation of testing requirements for anyone embarking in the US and would expect other cruises from the US will receive the same.  Bolding and underlining below is mine.

-------------

Panama Canal & The Pacific Coast
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida to Los Angeles, California

19OCT2021

Dear Viking Guest,

As you prepare to embark on your journey, we would like to take a moment to clarify the pre-cruise requirements for cruises embarking in the United States.

Earlier this month, you received a notification about the Viking Health & Safety Program's 72-hour PCR test requirement. However, Centers for Disease Control (CDC) regulations require that passengers embarking cruise ships in the U.S. present a negative PCR or antigen test taken 2-days before embarkation.

The test taken to meet the CDC requirement (PCR or antigen) will fulfill Viking's 72-hour PCR test requirement. There is no need for any additional COVID-19 testing before your voyage. We recognize that PCR tests are considered the gold standard for COVID-19 and Viking's diagnostics platform for testing on board our vessels. However, because the CDC guidelines allow for antigen testing, Viking has made a policy exception for voyages leaving from the U.S. and will accept antigen test results.

Additionally, to ensure your vaccination certification is processed well ahead of your departure, complies with CDC requirements and to avoid any delay, please complete your VeriFLY Vaccine Certification as soon as possible. You'll find detailed instructions here.

For a complete list of all pre-cruise requirements and to be sure you are well prepared for your journey, please consult our Pre-cruise Requirements found here.

We look forward to welcoming you on board.

Sincerely,

Viking

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Azulann said:

I have now done two Weclome back cruises: one in July to Bermuda, and Oct12-18 Malta to Barcelona.

In both cases, I  relied on information found in  MVJ and the updates and final timeline that will appear under  Before You go and various tabs in MVJ.Viking also sent emails reminders as we were within 14 days of sailing.

Both Bermuda and Malta/ Italy changed their covid requirements from the time I booked to time I sailed, three months before actual sailing to the 7days before I sailed. In one case  things became tighter and in the case covid rules relaxed. 

Bermuda: PCR test three days before arrival, testing then by Bermuda at airport, on ship till results provided. Saliva test first thing on board, and each day following.

Malta to Barcelona: PCR covid test 72 hrs before first flight .. Saliva test once on board Viking Venus and each day of cruise.

Proof of vaccination and paper copy of  negative  PCR test  was looked at by United , Lufthansa, Delta for both of my trips. 

My suggestion for all those sailing out of US , and the other sailings departing from Europe  is to relax , find a place to get your PRC test before you fly or get on board  within the proper timeframe . Again  watch your MVJ  IN THE FINAL 14 DAYS BEFORE YOU  LEAVE. I DID NOT CALL VIKNG REP OR TA. The information will be there .

The resource page on Web site is not the final arbiter, but your MVJ.

Once on board have a wonderful cruise.

Traveling in the time of COVID is not for the faint of heart. 

Patti 

Thank you! I think and I emphasize that I am only reasonably confident that the key difference appears to be departures from US ports. The notice from the CDC is new as of October 18, 2021 and the section that I copied states the 48 hour rule. Hopefully we will all find out definitively sooner before later given the weekends, holidays, and tight turn around times.

Edited by kjbacon
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Azulann said:

I have now done two Weclome back cruises: one in July to Bermuda, and Oct12-18 Malta to Barcelona.

In both cases, I  relied on information found in  MVJ and the updates and final timeline that will appear under  Before You go and various tabs in MVJ.Viking also sent emails reminders as we were within 14 days of sailing.

Both Bermuda and Malta/ Italy changed their covid requirements from the time I booked to time I sailed, three months before actual sailing to the 7days before I sailed. In one case  things became tighter and in the case covid rules relaxed. 

Bermuda: PCR test three days before arrival, testing then by Bermuda at airport, on ship till results provided. Saliva test first thing on board, and each day following.

Malta to Barcelona: PCR covid test 72 hrs before first flight .. Saliva test once on board Viking Venus and each day of cruise.

Proof of vaccination and paper copy of  negative  PCR test  was looked at by United , Lufthansa, Delta for both of my trips. 

My suggestion for all those sailing out of US , and the other sailings departing from Europe  is to relax , find a place to get your PRC test before you fly or get on board  within the proper timeframe . Again  watch your MVJ  IN THE FINAL 14 DAYS BEFORE YOU  LEAVE. I DID NOT CALL VIKNG REP OR TA. The information will be there .

Patti 

MVJ is the "final arbiter"? See my post #19. For our cruise, one MVJ link requires travelers to test just within 72 hours prior to boarding their first flight. Still another MVJ link, however, requires travelers to test within this time frame AND within 72 hours prior to embarkation (if they're traveling independently before the cruise). And Viking's "talking points" about MVJ say something else entirely -- that the testing requirement for independent travelers only applies if they're away for three days or more.

That's why we sought written clarification from Viking. We will rely on Viking's response, not on the literal language of MVJ.   

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Azulann said:

Patti 

Did you fly in the day of embarkation for Malta ?

9 minutes ago, vslparis said:

Did you fly in the day of embarkation for Malta ?

Yes , I was on the the Viking  charter from Newark NJ arriving around 11:30 am in Malta with a binder of documents ! 😊. The ship stayed overnight in Malta. 

5 minutes ago, Azulann said:

Yes , I was on the the Viking  charter from Newark NJ arriving around 11:30 am in Malta with a binder of documents ! 😊. The ship stayed overnight in Malta. 

Did anyone fly in that did not take the charter and fly in a few days early that you know of ?

30 minutes ago, vslparis said:

Did anyone fly in that did not take the charter and fly in a few days early that you know of ?

I knew some who flew through Frankfurt. But they did not come in early. Their luggage never made it to Frankfurt. Their first flight from NC was late . They made the flight to Germany but not the luggage. 
I and others did stay in Barcelona for a day or two post cruise, before going back to US ,