BinaxNOW Home Tests - Make Sure to Have a Backup Plan

RichYak

17 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Yes I understand the turn around time issue for some.  I was just commenting on the thought that going to 2 days eliminates the PCR test that is a better screen for asymptomatic infections. 

It eliminates most of them, but there are providers that provide quicker results since they have the necessary lab equipment on site.  Had a recent PCR administered for some eye surgery a couple of weeks ago and had results in under 24 hours.

3 minutes ago, canderson said:

It eliminates most of them, but there are providers that provide quicker results since they have the necessary lab equipment on site.  Had a recent PCR administered for some eye surgery a couple of weeks ago and had results in under 24 hours.

I'm no expert here for sure - but wondering if that is the same kind of PCR test that is accepted?  I don't think Celebrity honors a rapid PCR test?

43 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

I'm no expert here for sure - but wondering if that is the same kind of PCR test that is accepted?  I don't think Celebrity honors a rapid PCR test?

PCR is PCR to Celebrity.  I think we're confusing something here.

There are several factors involved in the timing of the returned results of a PCR test.  Under 24 hours is easy -- if you have a site that is actually able to do the analysis work in a timely fashion.

Sites with their own labs don't have delays waiting for transport of the sample, and transporting the sample.  Only the biggest labs have automated ways of extracting RNA from a sample and doing it quickly.  A lab may or may not be backed up with samples to process. 

The actual process takes only about 6 hours.

On 10/21/2021 at 8:35 AM, RichYak said:

Travel days used to be the most stressful days for me. Not any more. That's been supplanted by "Covid Test Day." Today was that day for me.

A few weeks ago, I ordered a 3-pack of home tests for me and my wife from Optum through Celebrity's link. The third test was intended to be a backup and I'm glad I spent the extra money. One of the activator liquid bottles was empty, invalidating the kit, and I needed to use the third one. Did I mention how stressed I already was?

Thankfully, the third kit was fine and we both tested negative.

Moral: Have AT LEAST one backup plan. Beyond the extra test kit, I had identified a local walk-in testing site from a flyer I received in the mail (it seemed sketchy but I would have tried it if necessary) AND we both had CVS appointments for later in the day (now cancelled) just in case.

Time to exhale, then start packing.

Thanks for your insights on your home testing experience! My DW just ordered the 3-pack kit for our upcoming Apex cruise through Celebrity’s Optum link where she, of course, had to create an account. I’ve read on other threads that we will need to have separate accounts established when we actually take the test for the results to be recorded.

My question is do I need to also create an Optum account or will the “accounts” need to be created with some third party that’s actually going to monitor our tests?

1 hour ago, Ken the cruiser said:

My question is do I need to also create an Optum account or will the “accounts” need to be created with some third party that’s actually going to monitor our tests?

You need to create a Navica account. Either via their app or via the emed.com website. 

On 10/21/2021 at 12:20 PM, phoenix_dream said:

If they would just go back to a 3 day requirement that would alleviate the problem for so many of us!  Or start providing back-up testing at the port.  Why oh why have they not done that by now?!?!?

On the first, that came from the CDC, so at this point all cruises out of the US have to comply.  As to the second, they do test kids at the port, but I think early in the US deployment the Edge tried to have it at the port, and it did not go well.  People were outside for hours, and all that goes with that.

I did just read that Princess is going to provide test availability at or near some ports.

Edited by abbydancer

5 hours ago, abbydancer said:

On the first, that came from the CDC, so at this point all cruises out of the US have to comply.  As to the second, they do test kids at the port, but I think early in the US deployment the Edge tried to have it at the port, and it did not go well.  People were outside for hours, and all that goes with that.

I did just read that Princess is going to provide test availability at or near some ports.

Well Carnival (corporation) which includes Princess announced testing at the ports a while back.  Then they cancelled the program.

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Well Carnival (corporation) which includes Princess announced testing at the ports a while back.  Then they cancelled the program.

I thought it was Carnival cruise line not CLL.

In any case, I don't remember where I saw it, but this is a recent (within the last couple of days) announcement by Princess.  It's not always going to be at the port, sometimes nearby I think it said.

• Like 1

This is the updated Princess information:

We strongly recommend all guests take a viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) prior to leaving home to avoid queues and travel disruptions associated with a possible positive test result on the day of embarkation.

We understand that it may be difficult for some of our guests to find testing that can provide results within a 2-day turnaround. Accordingly, for guests who did not receive their test results within 2 days prior to their embarkation, we have mobile testing sites near our embarkation ports to conduct COVID-19 testing the day before, or day of, your cruise departure.

The company providing the testing will charge a per-person fee of $150. Providers will not accept insurance, but you will be provided a receipt should you wish to submit the cost to your insurance carrier. Please consider this as a back-up alternative should you not be able to make arrangements prior to leaving home.

In accordance with CDC protocols, guests who test positive for COVID-19 on embarkation day will be denied boarding, together with their family members and close contacts, may be required to quarantine shoreside, and may be restricted from commercial air travel. If you, your family members, traveling companions or other close contacts are suspected of having COVID-19 and are denied boarding, you will be entitled to a 100% Future Cruise Credit.

Not cheap, but that's the price of convenience.

Edited by Fouremco

17 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

This is the updated Princess information:

We strongly recommend all guests take a viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) prior to leaving home to avoid queues and travel disruptions associated with a possible positive test result on the day of embarkation.

We understand that it may be difficult for some of our guests to find testing that can provide results within a 2-day turnaround. Accordingly, for guests who did not receive their test results within 2 days prior to their embarkation, we have mobile testing sites near our embarkation ports to conduct COVID-19 testing the day before, or day of, your cruise departure.

The company providing the testing will charge a per-person fee of $150. Providers will not accept insurance, but you will be provided a receipt should you wish to submit the cost to your insurance carrier. Please consider this as a back-up alternative should you not be able to make arrangements prior to leaving home.

In accordance with CDC protocols, guests who test positive for COVID-19 on embarkation day will be denied boarding, together with their family members and close contacts, may be required to quarantine shoreside, and may be restricted from commercial air travel. If you, your family members, traveling companions or other close contacts are suspected of having COVID-19 and are denied boarding, you will be entitled to a 100% Future Cruise Credit.

Not cheap, but that's the price of convenience.

Yup - that's what I saw.  Thanks.  Fortuately I'll be able to get a test easily for my next cruise.  No flights, and lots of options near me.

On 10/21/2021 at 9:56 AM, RichYak said:

Not even a bubble for me. It was bone dry.

Backstory FWIW: When I ordered the 3-pack, they only sent 2. I had to call customer service to have them send a third. It was that third test (from a different lot) that had the empty bottle. The telemed professional took note of the lot #. I'll call customer service later to see if they can refund me.

thanks RichYak for posting the issues with the Binax test. Never would have thought! We sail 2 days after Thanksgiving & will do all I can to get an appointment on Friday, the day before, for a rapid Antigen. Getting harder & harder to secure those. This way the test kit can become my backup. I would purchase another set but given the expiration is Dec 21, it’s a waste. 

Thanks again for making us aware!