Fantastic Viking

Arizona340

We just returned from a Paris to Normandy river cruise followed by the Empires of the Mediterranean ocean cruise. The river Fjorgyn had 97 guests and the Viking Sea had 487 guests, almost half capacity. By following full vaccination requirements daily saliva tests, 100% masks and contact tracing both cruises finished with “NO” positive tests.  Masks were worn on tours, also. In some towns masks were not necessary outside; CDC cards & masks to enter museums and some restaurants; you were free to roam around after tours to shop,and Viking’s cleaning standards were higher than normal. Fantastic holiday to see Cities in France; Athens, Santorini, Corfu Greece; Croatia, Slovenia and Venice, Italy.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

16 hours ago, Arizona340 said:

We just returned from a Paris to Normandy river cruise followed by the Empires of the Mediterranean ocean cruise. The river Fjorgyn had 97 guests and the Viking Sea had 487 guests, almost half capacity. By following full vaccination requirements daily saliva tests, 100% masks and contact tracing both cruises finished with “NO” positive tests.  Masks were worn on tours, also. In some towns masks were not necessary outside; CDC cards & masks to enter museums and some restaurants; you were free to roam around after tours to shop,and Viking’s cleaning standards were higher than normal. Fantastic holiday to see Cities in France; Athens, Santorini, Corfu Greece; Croatia, Slovenia and Venice, Italy.  

Sounds lovely! Were you allowed to roam freely while in Venice?

Thanks for your encouragement.  We leave on Friday for our Nov 1st sailing to the Mediterranean for 15 days.

We just got back from taking our PCR, waiting to see if we get good results, you never know.

So looking forward to traveling with Viking again. It's been so long since our Alaska cruise.

What countries were you able to enjoy free time on excursions.

We have several day long excursions with free time for lunch (not included). I'm wondering how they will handle it we cannot wander independently.

Curious if anyone has had experience with this lately?

Thanks

Kimberly

On 10/26/2021 at 12:53 PM, hersheyhughes said:

Thanks for your encouragement.  We leave on Friday for our Nov 1st sailing to the Mediterranean for 15 days.

We just got back from taking our PCR, waiting to see if we get good results, you never know.

So looking forward to traveling with Viking again. It's been so long since our Alaska cruise.

What countries were you able to enjoy free time on excursions.

We have several day long excursions with free time for lunch (not included). I'm wondering how they will handle it we cannot wander independently.

Curious if anyone has had experience with this lately?

Thanks

Kimberly

Yes - would also be curious.

We fly into Rome on Nov 17 and leave Nov 22 on Iconic Mediterranean to Barcelona.  RIght now we can tour around independently in Rome for those days, but Viking says once we get on the ship, no more touring except with a Viking bubble exursion and certainly no wandering.   We have a 12 hour Viking excursion in Livorno/Florence/Pisa and I also wondered what they will do?  keep us all roped in ?  Can't let us "wander" around, can they?  we might get in trouble.  But we all have to 6 feet apart, right?   Will be interesting to see how Viking handles it.

• Like 3

On 10/27/2021 at 3:01 PM, CCWineLover said:

Yes - would also be curious.

We fly into Rome on Nov 17 and leave Nov 22 on Iconic Mediterranean to Barcelona.  RIght now we can tour around independently in Rome for those days, but Viking says once we get on the ship, no more touring except with a Viking bubble exursion and certainly no wandering.   We have a 12 hour Viking excursion in Livorno/Florence/Pisa and I also wondered what they will do?  keep us all roped in ?  Can't let us "wander" around, can they?  we might get in trouble.  But we all have to 6 feet apart, right?   Will be interesting to see how Viking handles it.

We just came off of Jupiter this past weekend and did the Florence/Pisa excursion. It was fine.. The group had to stay together (basically within sight of the tour guide). Limited access inside buildings, so while we went inside some sights in Florence, we did not go inside Pisa. Not able to go explore on your own in Italy (independent exploration OK in Monaco, Greece, France (except Marseille) and Croatia).

Can I just say, having returned yesterday from Istanbul to Rome on Viking Sjy, yes the official policy is that you must stay in your excursion bubble when off the ship in Italy. However, as usual in Italy, the rules are not always followed. In Sorrento the guide was more than happy for any of us to do our own thing once off the coach. So chat up the guide and be nice to them! 

We were free to "wander around" in all countries.  In Paris on the pre we freely roamed the city with CDC card entrance to businesses and restaurants.  On the post in Venice we spent every day wandering the city (with masks) with no restrictions.  We even went to Murano for the day.  It is always a joy to take a tour and then stay in town afterwards to shop and eat.  Plan, book and go!!!!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, timbloom said:

Can I just say, having returned yesterday from Istanbul to Rome on Viking Sjy, yes the official policy is that you must stay in your excursion bubble when off the ship in Italy. However, as usual in Italy, the rules are not always followed. In Sorrento the guide was more than happy for any of us to do our own thing once off the coach. So chat up the guide and be nice to them! 

Thanks but I guess you have to be on a Viking shore excursion to start with.  I hope therefore that new ones are posted - bit worried than someone said they could not wander freely in Marseille - not sure why.

22 minutes ago, Mrs Miggins said:

Thanks but I guess you have to be on a Viking shore excursion to start with.  I hope therefore that new ones are posted - bit worried than someone said they could not wander freely in Marseille - not sure why.

Maybe they are still Shanghaiing sailors in Marseille?

• Haha 2

On 10/29/2021 at 4:02 PM, formernuke said:

We just came off of Jupiter this past weekend and did the Florence/Pisa excursion. It was fine.. The group had to stay together (basically within sight of the tour guide). Limited access inside buildings, so while we went inside some sights in Florence, we did not go inside Pisa. Not able to go explore on your own in Italy (independent exploration OK in Monaco, Greece, France (except Marseille) and Croatia).

Thanks!

Did you enjoy the long Florence/Pisa excursion though?  Was it worth it?  Was it a lot of bus riding?  Or did you get to walk even a little bit?   Your description doesn't make it sound very inviting.   But we didn't have much choice in the very limited excursions.

10 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Possibly but I think most of the 'Vikings' would not be much use climbing the yardarm.  

Seriously we have seen the development of Marseille over the years and whilst it is still has something of an edgy feeling (think Palermo or Naples) it now has a great waterfront and old port area.

On our last visit 2 years ago they had a great Christmas market full of local produce.  

Easy transit by bus or train to Aix en Provence and in the summer Cassis is wonderful.

So far Viking are showing 3 excursions.  Included bus tour - sold out - Discover Aix - sold out and Winter in Cassis & Calanques - also sold out and would expect Cassis to be mostly closed,

• Like 1

13 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Actually nice to see a lighthearted post rather than your usual useful fact filled ones.  I was also in the Aviation industry based at Heathrow - but cargo rather than passenger.  A whole different world.

3 hours ago, Mrs Miggins said:

Actually nice to see a lighthearted post rather than your usual useful fact filled ones.  I was also in the Aviation industry based at Heathrow - but cargo rather than passenger.  A whole different world.

Aren't passengers just "self-loading freight"??  😉

And isn't cargo so much nicer because the pallets and containers don't complain?

• Like 1