Penthouse and purchasing treats…

cooncat_mom

On 10/27/2021 at 4:53 PM, cooncat_mom said:

My husband put us in a forward-facing penthouse on the Getaway in April (so we’ll be Haven people for the first time!) to celebrate my 70th BD and our upcoming 50th anniversary in May. I was thinking of purchasing the Anniversary decoration package and the Captain’s Choice Non-alcoholic wine  with fruit (yes…yes we are lightweights! 😆😆😆), but while I know the butler brings daily snacks, I don’t know if a sparkling drink and snacks are there to greet you when you come on board. If there is, I won’t purchase the wine (but I’ll still let him think Norwegian decorated for us 😉). Can anyone tell me?  Thanks!

I just got off the Bliss in an Aft Penthouse. I ordered the Anniversary package with the cake and room decorations. The cake was beautiful and tasty and much larger than the non-package one was. We brought it with us to dinner at Cagney's. The table in our room was constantly piled with goodies. Canapés, sandwiches, cookies, sweet breads, chocolates, peanuts and M&Ms, all arriving late afternoon. 

20211028_194734.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shellbelle28 said:

I just got off the Bliss in an Aft Penthouse. I ordered the Anniversary package with the cake and room decorations. The cake was beautiful and tasty and much larger than the non-package one was. We brought it with us to dinner at Cagney's. The table in our room was constantly piled with goodies. Canapés, sandwiches, cookies, sweet breads, chocolates, peanuts and M&Ms, all arriving late afternoon. 

20211028_194734.jpg

Sounds like you had a wonderful anniversary. All that food is a bit too much for us but glad you enjoyed your tasty treats.

17 minutes ago, kitty-sail said:

Sounds like you had a wonderful anniversary. All that food is a bit too much for us but glad you enjoyed your tasty treats.

Sadly, most of them sat with just a tiny tasting until they were taken away. I felt bad, but wasn't going to eat them out of guilt! I did gobble down the BLTs the day those came! 

We had a group of about 15 stop by one morning and I asked the Butler to bring a pitcher of orange juice and glasses to make mimosas. That was a great way to use up all the bottles of sparkling wine in the room. And he brought a cheese tray and fruit platter too, which was a reainice touch. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Shellbelle28 said:

Sadly, most of them sat with just a tiny tasting until they were taken away. I felt bad, but wasn't going to eat them out of guilt! I did gobble down the BLTs the day those came! 

We had a group of about 15 stop by one morning and I asked the Butler to bring a pitcher of orange juice and glasses to make mimosas. That was a great way to use up all the bottles of sparkling wine in the room. And he brought a cheese tray and fruit platter too, which was a reainice touch. 

You have outlined something that I thought my wife and I only thought.  To much food that turns into waste.  This especially happens if you have a butler like in the Haven.  I learned a long time ago, if you every ask for anything (I asked for cookies and milk. There was enough cookies for 10 people), the over do it.  So I don't ask for anything unless it is a special one time only item.  Still to much food but at least we can control some of it.  

FYI, I Love those BLT's also, Yum. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

You have outlined something that I thought my wife and I only thought.  To much food that turns into waste.  This especially happens if you have a butler like in the Haven.  I learned a long time ago, if you every ask for anything (I asked for cookies and milk. There was enough cookies for 10 people), the over do it.  So I don't ask for anything unless it is a special one time only item.  Still to much food but at least we can control some of it.  

We also thought that we were alone. We have to fight everyone off when they keep offering treats and food. We like to eat well and enjoy ourselves on a cruise, but if we order soup and salad at lunch, that's all we feel like 😊. To us, the food part gets to be wayyyy too much on about day three. We were on the Breakaway a few years ago and there was a guy at dinner in the MDR that ordered probably 6 entrees plus all of the extras, he took maybe two bites of each and just pushed the plates aside, just really wasteful, disgusting and creating way too much work for the cooks and servers. I was embarrassed for him.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mjcatlvr said:

We also thought that we were alone. We have to fight everyone off when they keep offering treats and food. We like to eat well and enjoy ourselves on a cruise, but if we order soup and salad at lunch, that's all we feel like 😊. To us, the food part gets to be wayyyy too much on about day three. We were on the Breakaway a few years ago and there was a guy at dinner in the MDR that ordered probably 6 entrees plus all of the extras, he took maybe two bites of each and just pushed the plates aside, just really wasteful, disgusting and creating way too much work for the cooks and servers. I was embarrassed for him.

Yep, we will see that again on our upcoming Joy trip on the 27th.  On a side note.  I was on a HAL sailing 10 years ago with my younger sister.  She and I love to eat.  Her much more then me.  It was Prime rib night.  She ordered a triple cut portion so I did also.  We ate it all, every bit.  I never did that again.  Memorable though.  See you soon.

37 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

About the "too much food"...

I'm not sure where I mentioned it, but one time DH mentioned that the only fruit he liked was A and B.  So the next afternoon, a wonderful plate showed up, and it promptly vanished.

Next day, a larger plate, left empty when we went for dinner later.

NEXT day... a platter!

*NEXT* day, TWO platters.  Gasp.

We had to thank our butler and ask him to keep it to one nice plate a day.

None of that fruit was going to waste, but my husband was at risk of all going to waist... 😄

There used to be a CC member with a user name something like:

"Buffet Pants Please"

Yes, indeedy!

GC

• Like 2

5 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

About the "too much food"...

I'm not sure where I mentioned it, but one time DH mentioned that the only fruit he liked was A and B.  So the next afternoon, a wonderful plate showed up, and it promptly vanished.

Next day, a larger plate, left empty when we went for dinner later.

NEXT day... a platter!

*NEXT* day, TWO platters.  Gasp.

We had to thank our butler and ask him to keep it to one nice plate a day.

None of that fruit was going to waste, but my husband was at risk of all going to waist... 😄

There used to be a CC member with a user name something like:

"Buffet Pants Please"

Yes, indeedy!

GC

Well if you are going to stuff yourself, at least fruit is a healthy choice.  I think it's hard for anyone to come away from a cruise without gaining a few pounds.  But that's what vacations are for.  Bon Appetit

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

Yep, we will see that again on our upcoming Joy trip on the 27th.  On a side note.  I was on a HAL sailing 10 years ago with my younger sister.  She and I love to eat.  Her much more then me.  It was Prime rib night.  She ordered a triple cut portion so I did also.  We ate it all, every bit.  I never did that again.  Memorable though.  See you soon.

Your prime rib portion reminds me of a Bill Murray movie where he tackled an "Old 96'er". 

• Haha 1