Penthouse and purchasing treats…

cooncat_mom

My husband put us in a forward-facing penthouse on the Getaway in April (so we’ll be Haven people for the first time!) to celebrate my 70th BD and our upcoming 50th anniversary in May. I was thinking of purchasing the Anniversary decoration package and the Captain’s Choice Non-alcoholic wine  with fruit (yes…yes we are lightweights! 😆😆😆), but while I know the butler brings daily snacks, I don’t know if a sparkling drink and snacks are there to greet you when you come on board. If there is, I won’t purchase the wine (but I’ll still let him think Norwegian decorated for us 😉). Can anyone tell me?  Thanks!

• Like 1

A couple of things starting with, Congrats.  My wife are going on the Joy in Nov for our 42 with our adult children.  We also are in the Haven, first time for the kids.

On to the important business.  A month before your Getaway Cruise ( I love the Getaway especially the Haven on the Getaway), you will get a letter.  It will have the Pre-Cruise Haven Desk email and phone number.  Tell them it is your Ann and Birthday.  Let them know what you want waiting for you in your room.  No need to purchase anything extra.  Your Butler will take care of it. 

Some things you need to also know.  Only order room service from the Haven Restaurant.  Just tell the butler that.  Order the French Press coffee from the Butler in the morning. Go to all the shows especially the Dance show.  It was awesome. 

Anything you want to know about the Haven Ask me.  I promise you, you will have a GREAT time.

Cruise well and enjoy every minute. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, cooncat_mom said:

My husband put us in a forward-facing penthouse on the Getaway in April (so we’ll be Haven people for the first time!) to celebrate my 70th BD and our upcoming 50th anniversary in May. I was thinking of purchasing the Anniversary decoration package and the Captain’s Choice Non-alcoholic wine  with fruit (yes…yes we are lightweights! 😆😆😆), but while I know the butler brings daily snacks, I don’t know if a sparkling drink and snacks are there to greet you when you come on board. If there is, I won’t purchase the wine (but I’ll still let him think Norwegian decorated for us 😉). Can anyone tell me?  Thanks!

There is a bottle of sparkling wine in your room.  Not sure if it's a nicer bottle in the Haven cabins, but it's not good quality in the standard rooms (way too sweet for me...)

Edited by phillygwm

1 minute ago, phillygwm said:

There is a bottle of sparkling wine in your room.  Not sure if it's a nicer bottle in the Haven cabins, but it's not good quality (way too sweet for me...)

It will be a bottle of Duc, which you find in the $5 champagne section of your grocery store.  Save it in case the ship sinks and take it to your lifeboat.  You might eventually get thirsty enough to drink it.  

JK, it's not that bad but it's not great.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Save your money.  Neither package is worth the money.  Spend your money on more meaningful things while on your cruise.  The butler will bring you just about anything and if you notify the concierge you are celebrating a 50th anniversary, he/she will most likely do something special for you, free of charge.  Minus tip.

• Like 1

Thank you all! (And congratulations sthrngary to you and your wife - hope you both have a wonderfully romantic time!) I will look for the concierge email and let them know. It’s good to know about room service from the Haven Restaurant.  I’ve read that they’re quite responsive to any special needs and being very lactose intolerant they’ll be able to point out dishes for me. (I don’t have to worry about cross contamination since it’s not an allergy and I’ve always chosen to do careful picking rather than meet with the maitre’d at the beginning of the cruise).  I look forward to experiencing the Haven! I’ve recklessly chosen to do NCL Air so that will be an experience too. 😲

Edited by cooncat_mom
Added a thought….

1 hour ago, cooncat_mom said:

Thank you all! (And congratulations sthrngary to you and your wife - hope you both have a wonderfully romantic time!) I will look for the concierge email and let them know. It’s good to know about room service from the Haven Restaurant.  I’ve read that they’re quite responsive to any special needs and being very lactose intolerant they’ll be able to point out dishes for me. (I don’t have to worry about cross contamination since it’s not an allergy and I’ve always chosen to do careful picking rather than meet with the maitre’d at the beginning of the cruise).  I look forward to experiencing the Haven! I’ve recklessly chosen to do NCL Air so that will be an experience too. 😲

You will be fine on the air.  Thank you for the congrats.  A suggestion would be to watch some of the YouTube Video's on the Haven if you have not as of yet.  The key for me to the Haven was knowing what was and was not an amenity.  What the butler did and did not do so I would not be embarrassed asking. Lots and lots of articles on cruisecritic.com on this.  

The important thing is to remember that it is sometimes hard to let people pamper you.  You have to remember how special this event is.  You are allowed to be treated like a "Rock Star" one week a year especially when it is your anniversary.  

Cruise well and enjoy every moment!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

You will be fine on the air.  Thank you for the congrats.  A suggestion would be to watch some of the YouTube Video's on the Haven if you have not as of yet.  The key for me to the Haven was knowing what was and was not an amenity.  What the butler did and did not do so I would not be embarrassed asking. Lots and lots of articles on cruisecritic.com on this.  

The important thing is to remember that it is sometimes hard to let people pamper you.  You have to remember how special this event is.  You are allowed to be treated like a "Rock Star" one week a year especially when it is your anniversary.  

Cruise well and enjoy every moment!

Thank you! It the first time someone else has done the transportation.  Usually we fly or train in the day before, but didn’t want to stay in a hotel.  Figured if NCL did, they’d make sure we got on the ship even if the flight was embarkation day (it’s a short flight).  And I am a horrible suite guest.  We did a Penthouse (not Haven) in 2013 and my only request of the butler was to put more water in the coffeemaker (we couldn’t  unlock it to do that)! She was kind of snotty about it too, so our room steward got a bigger tip than she did. Been a mom, a CNA and a medic too long - I take care of other people still 😆😆😆.

16 minutes ago, cooncat_mom said:

Thank you! It the first time someone else has done the transportation.  Usually we fly or train in the day before, but didn’t want to stay in a hotel.  Figured if NCL did, they’d make sure we got on the ship even if the flight was embarkation day (it’s a short flight).  And I am a horrible suite guest.  We did a Penthouse (not Haven) in 2013 and my only request of the butler was to put more water in the coffeemaker (we couldn’t  unlock it to do that)! She was kind of snotty about it too, so our room steward got a bigger tip than she did. Been a mom, a CNA and a medic too long - I take care of other people still 😆😆😆.

I really want you to have a GREAT time so here are some links and documents that might help you.

The above link will give you lots of information about the Haven.  How to leverage as much of the amenities as possible. 

On the down loaded links below, I will give you:

1. A Template of a Butler Letter:  I do this prior to the trip and hand it to the butler when I meet them on day one.  You can change any request to meet your needs.  The document is a Microsoft Word format.  If you can't find your butler on day one, give the letter to the Concierge at the Haven Lounge desk for the Butler. 
  2. Amenities for Cabin Categories:  This shows by your category, what amenities you get and don't get. Each stateroom has a code (example H2, H1, SP).  Look for your stateroom code and it lists what comes with your room. This document is for the Joy but will be very close for any ship.
  3. Welcome to the Haven Document:  Again, you have to have your stateroom code.  Not everything on the page applies.  

Please remember, I use the Butler Letter for all cruise brands and change it every time.  Some items like bottles of spirits are not provided on NCL unless you have the (H2) Haven Deluxe Owners Suite.  Regardless, it should help you shape up and strategize your upcoming cruise.  

Cruise well.

Butler_NCL_Cruises_Template.docx Amenities JOY.pdf Welcome Aboard Haven+.pdf

• Like 3

That is some great information - thank you!  Have to admit, I look forward to not eating in the Main Dining room and love the thought of an omelette on the balcony without a service charge.  I know it will be a great, and special cruise. (hope yours is too)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cooncat_mom said:

That is some great information - thank you!  Have to admit, I look forward to not eating in the Main Dining room and love the thought of an omelette on the balcony without a service charge.  I know it will be a great, and special cruise. (hope yours is too)

The key is to ask for ONLY the Haven Restaurant Foods.  Remember, the Haven Restaurant has the exact same menu every day.  That is why you mix it up with the specialty restaurants that came with your fare. Again, ask you butler to bring the French Press Coffee and allow you to press it so it can be as strong as you want it.  

Enjoy your cruise.

Haven_Breakfast_Menu.jfif Haven_Dinner_Menu_Side_One.jfif Haven_Dinner_Menu_Side_Two.jfif Haven_Lunch_Menu_Side_One.jfif Haven_Lunch_Menu_Side_Two.jfif

Sthrngary,  congratulations on your anniversary (Cooncat_Mom also congrats on 50 years).  Thank you for posting the links to the amenities onboard the JOY.  Have sailed on her before, but this time we have a Penthouse Suite, but placed a bid for upgrade to Haven.  With all the information you provided I really hope we can score the Haven.   

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, sassyshar said:

Sthrngary,  congratulations on your anniversary (Cooncat_Mom also congrats on 50 years).  Thank you for posting the links to the amenities onboard the JOY.  Have sailed on her before, but this time we have a Penthouse Suite, but placed a bid for upgrade to Haven.  With all the information you provided I really hope we can score the Haven.   

Huge possibility.  Please let us know if you do.  Good luck.

Thank you for posting the menus…they sound not bad - just a few tweaks to get rid of cheese or milk.  I have to admit, recently did RCL Oasis with my daughter, and they had a vegan selection (sometimes 2 ) every sitting.  They had some seriously good food! On my survey, I’ll suggest NCL do the same.  It sounds like we should have a wonderful time - I’m looking forward to it (and keeping an eye on upgrades. Looks like there won’t be many, but you never know…).   Thank you sassyshar!  Hard to believe how fast the years go.

cooncat_mom, first off, congrats on your cruise.  Most likely your afternoon treats from Butler will not be in your room upon arrival, unless you are one of the last ones onboard.  Sparkling wine, alcoholic or not may be.  Have fortunately been  in Haven several times, upon embarkation, Butlers, room steward are busy getting all the special amenities delivered to rooms, this takes some time.  Afternoon "treats" after getting underway are usually delivered around 3pm.  Have-not used room service, but just assumed it would come from the closest restaurant.  Hopefully your decorations will be up upon arrival??  

Thank you, NW Pacific! I really have no problem purchasing treats…it has been 50 years and it’s to impress the Old Dude  (who paid for this!).  I have purchased the decorations in the past when I sailed NCL with my family.  I did a Bon Voyage package and it was up when we got to the cabin, much to everyone’s delight.

I’m still leaning towards getting the package and fake wine because, really, after 50 years it should make him feel special. That’s what it’s all about!

• Like 2

Cooncat Mom - I've celebrated several anniversaries aboard. They will put balloons in your room. Flowers and will present you with a special cake. We've even re-newed our vows before the Captain. It's a moment to remember. Happy Anniversary.

• Like 1

On 10/29/2021 at 1:42 PM, cruising sister said:

I have a Gary question. If I emailed the concierge about dining reservations and said it was our 30th anniversary would that be enough for them to decorate?

Give it a shot for sure.  They really try to wow you and that would be an easy way to wow your.  Let us know what they say.

7 minutes ago, cooncat_mom said:

Thank you kitty-sail (I like your name!). My guess is that you contacted the concierge and didn’t get the package?

We did not purchase any package. We just informed NCL that we were celebrating an anniversary and they provided the rest. If you let the concierge know before you sail, they will have your room decorated when you board but they no longer decorate the cabin door. Then just let your butler or concierge know what date you want to celebrate your special occasion and they will have a special cake delivered to your room for a romantic evening for 2 or presented to you at dinner while celebrating with family & friends.

• Like 1

On 10/27/2021 at 7:53 PM, cooncat_mom said:

Your post brings back some great memories! We celebrated our 30th anniversary aboard the Getaway in the Haven. Our TA informed NCL about our celebration and the first night we got a nice surprise of two "Towel Swans", (necks entwined) on the middle of the bed, surrounded by hundreds of real red rose petals (they must have pulled apart 3 dozen red roses). Beautiful anniversary cake in the fridge. Very over the top but fun. Especially appreciated the fact that I didn't have to clean the whole thing up before bed, already cleaned up after dinner. 😁

• Like 2

On 10/31/2021 at 2:57 PM, mjcatlvr said:

Your post brings back some great memories! We celebrated our 30th anniversary aboard the Getaway in the Haven. Our TA informed NCL about our celebration and the first night we got a nice surprise of two "Towel Swans", (necks entwined) on the middle of the bed, surrounded by hundreds of real red rose petals (they must have pulled apart 3 dozen red roses). Beautiful anniversary cake in the fridge. Very over the top but fun. Especially appreciated the fact that I didn't have to clean the whole thing up before bed, already cleaned up after dinner. 😁

I will always remember celebrating our anniversary at Cape Horn while we were on a So America cruise. We renewed our vows along with 2 other couples. What a special moment I'll never forget.

• Like 1