Advice needed on choosing inside cabin on the Star

Muckyduckway

We always choose balcony cabins and are therefore pretty confident in our cabin choices.

Never even considered an inside in the past but the Iceland/Greenland cruises on the Star next year are priced a bit higher than our usual budget.

We usually pick non-connecting cabins towards the aft, near the stairs and between decks of cabins.  Is there anything else we should be considering when choosing an inside cabin?

TIA

I noticed that your posts has plenty of views, with no helpful replies.

We have never booked insides, so I am truly no help.  But, I came to offer some suggestions. 

There are some cabin reviews on CC through the "SHIPs Reviews". The older the ship, the more likely you can find a review.  ...I know, too vague, right?!

Also, have you tried searching in the NCL cabin reviews post at:   (I hope these suggestions help!)

Not the Star, but here's a YouTube of an Inside on EPIC...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMcdjk1MOls

My link above for the NCL Cabin Information is extremely misleading, but is a proper link.

Yet, it involves a LOT of searching within the pages.  Here are a list of posts there that discuss "Inside" cabins on various ships... 60, 65, 69, 103, 125, 128, 187, 193... (I used "CTRL F" on my computer keyboard to search.)  Possibly there are more post specific to the Star, but I wanted to list a few INSIDES for you.  My apologies for that You Tube review!!!

Thank you Ginger, it's nice to get a reply and you went to some effort as well, which is very much appreciated.

I've reached out to my TA for some advice and will do a bit more trawling of my own - it's just helpful to get real world experiences from fellow cruisers as they are often the most "in the know".

• Like 1

If the Star has sideways cabins (like the sun) look at those and the reviews on YouTube the layout makes them great cabins and appear much bigger (I think they are actually bigger but it could be a illusion)

Sideways cabins have the entrance on the side instead of the end.

• Like 3

We always book inside.

Things we look for are much the same as other categories, cabins above and below, not a connecting cabin, fairly near to the stairs/ lifts etc.

Most import for us in an inside is  make sure it is NOT a sleeps 4 cabin, if it is the bunk bed makes it seem very crowded, if you have the bed as a double one of you has to skinny past it all the time. Don't know how it would be if you have twin beds (didn't get married to sleep alone!)

Don't forget you can request a coffee maker and robes from your steward in an inside.

• Like 2

I would not book an inside cabin that is underneath Bliss Lounge, as music is played (with booming bass) into the early morning hours. You can kind of figure out if the cabin you are thinking about is under the Bliss Lounge by looking at the deck plans.

• Like 2

We have sailed on the Star several times, once in an Inside, once in a Balcony, and twice in a Suite.  Most of the Insides are rather small, so we found it more manageable to split the beds and shove them against opposite walls, giving us a wider aisle between them instead of a narrow aisle on each side of a queen bed.  There are a few Insides that are laid out at 90 degrees to the rest.  They seem to be a bit larger than the standard Inside cabins.  The ones that I have seen when walking the hallways and peeking in always have two separate beds in different parts of the room, so you can't make a queen bed out of them.  If you are OK with splitting the beds, then an Inside is really quite comfortable.  You don't get a window or balcony, of course, and there isn't a sofa like you find in Ocean View or Balcony staterooms, but there is enough room for two people.  The main caution is not to select a room directly above or below a lounge, theater, restaurant, or other public area.  Also, try to be at least two decks down if your room is under the jogging track or sports court.  It's amazing, and annoying, how far the sound of a jogger's footfalls or a basketball being dribbled can penetrate and reverberate, and how early in the morning some folks feel the need to get their exercise.

• Like 1

I’ve booked one of the sideways inside on deck 9 on the Star for Iceland and Greenland. I sailed on her before but not inside. I remember thinking the sideways ones looked larger than the regular insides. 

Generally booking insides I try and stay away from any blank areas of the ship-they are often crew spaces that may be loud. 

• Like 1

All great advice, thanks.

I've had a look at the Star deckplans and there are very few that do not accommodate 4.

Found some old videos of both types of insides and the sideways ones definitely create the feeling of more space. 

Conflicted about the bed configuration- not a fan of separate beds but that arrangement looks roomier and does away with the need to wall shimmy.

Definite food for thought.

Hey there....we have stayed in all  types of rooms thru our 20+ yrs of cruising. We choose balconies/suites. Been on the Star many times. My own opinion, with the world still struggling to get back to "Normal", and from what I have been reading, NCL ships seem to be hitting the spot of what it was like prior to pandemic. I would want the balcony, to have the fresh air and extra room, because I couldn't imagine being stuck in an inside if more variants are coming our way and fellow cruisers were getting sick again......It changes everything. Just a thought. Happy Cruising!

• Like 1

On 10/30/2021 at 2:30 PM, scorpioncrawl said:

Hey there....we have stayed in all  types of rooms thru our 20+ yrs of cruising. We choose balconies/suites. Been on the Star many times. My own opinion, with the world still struggling to get back to "Normal", and from what I have been reading, NCL ships seem to be hitting the spot of what it was like prior to pandemic. I would want the balcony, to have the fresh air and extra room, because I couldn't imagine being stuck in an inside if more variants are coming our way and fellow cruisers were getting sick again......It changes everything. Just a thought. Happy Cruising!

Still booking an inside -  beds together and a week of isolation in a dark room seems like a great plan - I'm sure we can think of something to keep occupied 😉(combined age 120+ so don't think we are teenagers or newly weds!)

Have been on the Star inside cabin and mostly do inside cabins on our cruises. We always look for one on a deck that has cabins above and below, that’s a biggie. Also, try to get one that is not near an area that looks like the crew may be going in and out of on regular basis. And try middle of ship but have never had an issue if forward or aft.