Silloutte food?

zoncom

We were on her in September in Luminae. Enjoyed the Luminae menu but my wife mainly choose off the MDR menu and was satisfied. Murano was great but thought we wasted our money in Tuscan grill.  We are not foodies but usually dine out well and my wife knows how to cook. I am sure you will enjoy. 

I am Dairy Intolerant, so am restricted in my food choice. However, I find the staff are very helpful and go out of their way to provide as much variety as possible. For instance, the Maitre’D suggested I had a salad along with my main course, as some vegetables were cooked / garnished with butter.

A3139A13-F897-4CB7-842A-832BBA70ACBA.thumb.jpeg.22ed59950adf3518ae124dbb88550cde.jpeg

7D721690-BD51-4FA4-8A4B-EB5512610962.thumb.jpeg.fcd4318a3498723fb969939bed4b72d0.jpeg

8940A3C0-BD96-4E9F-B2B6-738968E8CFAD.thumb.jpeg.888a43b6016fbafc5c7a99f8c5054f05.jpeg

You will be able to go to the Elite breakfast, which is now plated. We shared an Ultimate platter, which was more than enough for 2.

29FE0319-2A41-48DE-8531-473C277E01B5.thumb.jpeg.aad82075e7abbcb88bb5d9d5bdcd129f.jpeg

B8BE0E0C-209E-4647-B1FE-0AACF84E74C9.thumb.jpeg.f77b5d907029fae915ff8954b39c2fd3.jpeg

Edited by upwarduk

1 hour ago, hawkesbaynz said:

We were on her in September in Luminae. Enjoyed the Luminae menu but my wife mainly choose off the MDR menu and was satisfied. Murano was great but thought we wasted our money in Tuscan grill.  We are not foodies but usually dine out well and my wife knows how to cook. I am sure you will enjoy. 

Too bad you didn't try the Lawn Club Grill.  We think it is the best restaurant afloat and that includes Murano on three different ships.  Of course things may have changed with COVID but we intend to eat there again when we next sail on Silhouette in 2022.

We were also on Silhouette in September and dined in all the speciality restaurants.

Murano was reliably wonderful across menu items. 
LPC the novelty has worn off.

Lawn Grill, food fine and we enjoyed the family BBQ ambiance.

The Porch made a great lunchtime venue. 

Sushi, again fine as a lunchtime venue.

Tuscan very good service but we didn’t find the meat flavour/quality great.  Not a criticism of the cooking. Nothing needed sending back….This is a pattern we seem to be finding in Tuscan….If we cruise in the Caribbean the meat is better than if we are elsewhere in the world….Just us or to do with supplies?

No hesitation in booking her again for next year!

19 hours ago, TeaBag said:

Too bad you didn't try the Lawn Club Grill.  We think it is the best restaurant afloat and that includes Murano on three different ships.  Of course things may have changed with COVID but we intend to eat there again when we next sail on Silhouette in 2022.

I think two speciality night bookings was fine on a nine night cruise with access to Luminae. The weather was a little 'bracing' for Lawn Club Grill. However we do hope to enjoy it when we do an overnight in Aruba in March! I thought the food was great all round.

I was on the Silhouette two years ago. We tried every dining venue. 

Our thoughts were:

• Murano , always very good. my favorite. However only a couple desserts were worthy of the rest of the meal. I actually find most desserts need a overhaul on Celebrity. Look nice, but are generally not very good.
  • Lawn Club grill. Nothing special at all. Would never go again. 
  • LPQ, Fun. however the food was ok. Hoping the new menu will be better.
  • Tuscan, very good.  My mother likes this best.
  • Porch.  Did not like it. 
  • Sushi 5 , Always go twice for lunch.

All the ships are too similar and the centralized control too omnipresent for one ship to be consistently poorer at anything, including food, than the rest of the fleet.

It may have been that Silhouette was worse than the others at the time of your last cruise, but this will certainly have been corrected either through the normal crew and ship management rotations or by head office detecting poorer customer feedback and effecting a recovery plan to bring things up to standard.

If we were forced to eat at a Celebrity specialty restaurant, it would be Murano. But we've been there many times and are tired of the menu. The last two times we were there the lobster, cooked tableside, was overcooked. The last time, we actually asked the server to stop cooking it any further but he just looked at us and smiled and kept cooking it until it was dry and rubbery. I love Italian food, so Tuscan's mediocrity is especially disappointing. We've only been to Lawn Club Grill once. We really like the al fresco atmosphere but the food and service were not good when we went. We had lunch at the Porch. Our food was not good but we later saw someone eating a cold seafood platter that looked good. No interest in Le Petit Chef. We did like the original Qsine. We stick to the main dining room, which is what it is (hit or miss), and the buffet, where we can always find something that's okay.

1 hour ago, MarkWiltonM said:

If we were forced to eat at a Celebrity specialty restaurant, it would be Murano. But we've been there many times and are tired of the menu. The last two times we were there the lobster, cooked tableside, was overcooked. The last time, we actually asked the server to stop cooking it any further but he just looked at us and smiled and kept cooking it until it was dry and rubbery. I love Italian food, so Tuscan's mediocrity is especially disappointing. We've only been to Lawn Club Grill once. We really like the al fresco atmosphere but the food and service were not good when we went. We had lunch at the Porch. Our food was not good but we later saw someone eating a cold seafood platter that looked good. No interest in Le Petit Chef. We did like the original Qsine. We stick to the main dining room, which is what it is (hit or miss), and the buffet, where we can always find something that's okay.

My last time on the Equinox the lobster in Murano was raw in the middle. I couldn't eat it. Next time I'll select something else. Most if the preparation in Murano is good (except the deserts, like all deserts on board...look lovely, taste awful)

21 hours ago, Guppy99 said:

My last time on the Equinox the lobster in Murano was raw in the middle. I couldn't eat it. Next time I'll select something else. Most if the preparation in Murano is good (except the deserts, like all deserts on board...look lovely, taste awful)

Never had a bad meal in Murano’s. Lots of experiences across many ships. Definitely some experiences above and beyond but we cannot recollect ever needing to send anything back.  Did you tell the staff your lobster was raw? They take all criticism seriously and any with health issues (which yours would have) would be escalated. 

Re Desserts, l am not really a dessert lover but in Murano’s I struggle between choosing the Grand Marnier soufflé and the Ballon  Rouge but if I have them then I will need to give up on the cheese selection (very yummy) just can’t eat everything. Then there is always the chocolate soufflé I intend to try next visit…I agree that many MDR desserts and buffet desserts can look nicer than they taste but from someone who isn’t a dessert eater I have no complaints with the Murano selection!

On our last trip on Equinox we dined exclusively in the speciality restaurants and were not disappointed. Perhaps you were unlucky? I would certainly recommend Murano’s to anyone cruising on Equinox or any other S class ship.

Edited by chemmo

1 hour ago, zoncom said:

Thanks all for honest answers. My friends cruise choices, not mine.At least I now have realistic expectations, not great.

Board with an open mind…I have added two posts to your initial question and I am concerned that if you board with a negative attitude it may flavour your cruise experience.

Our honest experience across many years, including all S class ships is this…

The buffet is a great buffet. It is what it is, a buffet! So at peak times it will be busy but go a little early or a little later and you will be fine, and to be honest even at peak times you will be fine! No matter if your preference is for ‘meat and two veg’, Indian, Pasta, Stir Fry…There will be something to temp you.

MDR, is as it states, a Main Dining Room. We have never when we dined there expected gourmet food or service. However, we have always received very good food there and frequently excellent service.

Speciality restaurants. These to us are well worth trying on all S class ships and especially on Silhouette as there are additional choices. Already commented re Murano, try yourself…

Recently off Silhouette and loved every minute, already booked on her for next year…

Is it just your food experience (possibly just a bad cruise) that has put you off Silhouette or is it wider issues?  Honestly, much as you love your friends if Celebrity is not the cruise line for you then be honest and open with your friends and find something that suits all of you. Celebrity isn’t the perfect cruise line for everyone….

• Like 1