Carnival Legend 11/28 Sailing live...

IntrepidFromDC

Thanks for the Lucaya beach pics. 

We've been to Freeport a few times and just have not had any luck with liking the place-  worst excursions ever.  We planned to stay on the ship on this cruise but you've got me thinking Lucaya might not be too bad. 

18 hours ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

Our first stop was Taino Beach.  $12 to get in but you're told that covers some of the water sports and other attractions.  There's a zipline but they don't tell you until after you paid the beach entrance fee it's been closed for a  couple years. It was packed,  dirty and the beach was ok.

We have been to Lucaya a few times and to Deadman's Reef also.  I am considering going to Taino Beach in January to get a new experience. There is very little info on CC for Taino post-COVID shutdowns. Can you tell more about the "water sports and other attractions"?  More specifics on what's included with the $12 entry fee.    In particular, do they have free wifi, clean restrooms, free kayaks, beach chairs?  What are the food/drink options?

Guest BasicSailor
18 hours ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

Lucaya Beach was much nicer. No fee and walking distance to the shopping cente

20211203_104705.jpg

20211203_104100.jpg

20211203_105030.jpg

20211203_104334.jpg

20211203_104352.jpg

Your photos have me curious ? This looks to be the private sector of beach that's closed to the public. As you enter this through the hotels. Rather than the beach area where you back track several blocks before the entrance to Port Lucaya. Then walk down a dirt trail to enter the old beach area which is a lot smaller than the photos shown :).  It would be in the area where private homes are in your back ground. Thats where you are offered OR ( Harassed ) with supposedly hand made products by the local people. 

13 hours ago, cocomango said:

Thanks for the Lucaya beach pics. 

We've been to Freeport a few times and just have not had any luck with liking the place-  worst excursions ever.  We planned to stay on the ship on this cruise but you've got me thinking Lucaya might not be too bad. 

Myself exactly, was planning on just staying on the ship because it's such a short stop too, but OP has peaked my interest in at least venturing outside the port area.

1 hour ago, BasicSailor said:

Your photos have me curious ? This looks to be the private sector of beach that's closed to the public. As you enter this through the hotels. Rather than the beach area where you back track several blocks before the entrance to Port Lucaya. Then walk down a dirt trail to enter the old beach area which is a lot smaller than the photos shown :).  It would be in the area where private homes are in your back ground. Thats where you are offered OR ( Harassed ) with supposedly hand made products by the local people. 

There was a security guard on the resort grounds, and he said the beach behind the resort is open to the public.  There were about 15 other people on the beach,  I just like to take photos of beaches without people when possible.  Same with Taino beach, there were alot of people but I walked down a ways to get pics sans-people.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mpcaruth said:

We have been to Lucaya a few times and to Deadman's Reef also.  I am considering going to Taino Beach in January to get a new experience. There is very little info on CC for Taino post-COVID shutdowns. Can you tell more about the "water sports and other attractions"?  More specifics on what's included with the $12 entry fee.    In particular, do they have free wifi, clean restrooms, free kayaks, beach chairs?  What are the food/drink options?

The taxi driver didn't tell us it cost $12 to get into Taino and the park people didn't say things were closed until after we paid and walked toward the zipline. I didn't see any kayaks, but I think the beach chairs may have been included.  Volleyball was included.  Wave runners were not.

15 hours ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

So, at the risk of helping Sid or Roscoe or one of the usual suspects from twisting this cute pic, I saw several cute lizards today at Lucaya,  but one wasn't afraid at all. It let me take a pic from less than a foot away...

20211203_110414.jpg

The name of particular critter is Boy George.  Cuz you know, he's a Karma Chameleon...

• Haha 2

Guest BasicSailor
47 minutes ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

There was a security guard on the resort grounds, and he said the beach behind the resort is open to the public.  There were about 15 other people on the beach,  I just like to take photos of beaches without people when possible.  Same with Taino beach, there were alot of people but I walked down a ways to get pics sans-people.

Been all over that beach as well!  👍. In the past they blocked your entrance to the left of your photo and made you walk to the right of the brick wall. Not much beach there 😆

FREEPORT BEACH PL.jpg

3 minutes ago, BasicSailor said:

Been all over that beach as well!  👍. In the past they blocked your entrance to the left of your photo and made you walk to the right of the brick wall. Not much beach there 😆

FREEPORT BEACH PL.jpg

The resort has been closed since Dorian according to the security guard.  He also said the owner has been trying to find a buyer and that the government might buy it. In the meantime it's decaying but the beach is faring well. 

• Like 1

Guest BasicSailor
2 minutes ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

The resort has been closed since Dorian according to the security guard.  He also said the owner has been trying to find a buyer and that the government might buy it. In the meantime it's decaying but the beach is faring well

Agree and thats the exact same story I was told as well .  I rate that beach as being one of the best in the Caribbean. It truly is a shame as I was there right before and after Dorian and then again later. Over the years at least fifteen times that I count . 

36 minutes ago, BasicSailor said:

Agree and thats the exact same story I was told as well .  I rate that beach as being one of the best in the Caribbean. It truly is a shame as I was there right before and after Dorian and then again later. Over the years at least fifteen times that I count . 

I didn't realize Dorian was so long ago. I inferred the resort was closed a couple years or so. The taxi driver said only one beachfront resort has reopened since covid. Some of the restaurants near Lucaya Straw Market still haven't reopened.  I came away having a better impression of Freeport than I had before. 

15 minutes ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

I didn't realize Dorian was so long ago. I inferred the resort was closed a couple years or so. The taxi driver said only one beachfront resort has reopened since covid. Some of the restaurants near Lucaya Straw Market still haven't reopened.  I came away having a better impression of Freeport than I had before. 

Maybe a bunch of people from Cruise Critic can pool their money and buy the resort. Freeport is a nice island, but one has to get away from the industrial port to appreciate it fully. But when the ship pulls in at 7 and gets underway at 1 it doesn't give a lot of time for exploring.

• Like 1

Did they have the 3 for 60 dining package that I’ve seen for sale on some ships? I’ve got a neighbor who always watches my dog sailing for NYE and I was going to try to buy for his family if available. Seems like a no brainer given individual price of steakhouse or chef’s table

On 12/4/2021 at 12:14 PM, sparks1093 said:

Maybe a bunch of people from Cruise Critic can pool their money and buy the resort. Freeport is a nice island, but one has to get away from the industrial port to appreciate it fully. But when the ship pulls in at 7 and gets underway at 1 it doesn't give a lot of time for exploring.

Not all that much to explore around Freeport….is it an island?  

5 minutes ago, lilchuckie said:

Did they have the 3 for 60 dining package that I’ve seen for sale on some ships? I’ve got a neighbor who always watches my dog sailing for NYE and I was going to try to buy for his family if available. Seems like a no brainer given individual price of steakhouse or chef’s table

Pretty sure it is on every ship that has the choices.  I do not beleive that you can prebuy, but someone  can correct me if I am wrong.

Edited by jimbo5544

On 12/3/2021 at 12:45 PM, IntrepidFromDC said:

Today we're in Freeport. We hired a group taxi today for $12 round trip with stops at Lucaya Market,  Lucaya Beach and Taino Beach... pics coming after lunch.  Highly recommend this over the Carnival excursion we did to Lucaya for $55/each a few years ago. 

Lucaya beach is a good option.

41 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Pretty sure it is on every ship that has the choices.  I do not beleive that you can prebuy, but someone  can correct me if I am wrong.

i wasn’t sure i legend had it because it only has chef table and the steakhouse. I was just going to send the money with his daughter she’s cool and will keep a secret/super trustworthy. Great family. 

8 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Not all that much to explore around Freeport….is it an island?  

"Freeport is the main city on Grand Bahama, an island in the northwest Bahamas off the Florida coast. It's best known for the oceanfront Lucaya district, with beaches, resorts and shopping. Nearby, Deadman's Reef is popular for snorkeling, and the surrounding offshore waters host many dive sites. Up the coast, Lucayan National Park features extensive underwater caves, plus kayaking and nature trails."

12 hours ago, lilchuckie said:

i wasn’t sure i legend had it because it only has chef table and the steakhouse. I was just going to send the money with his daughter she’s cool and will keep a secret/super trustworthy. Great family. 

I guess I need to clarify, I was unsure as the Legend only has one option (Steakhouse).

4 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

"Freeport is the main city on Grand Bahama, an island in the northwest Bahamas off the Florida coast. It's best known for the oceanfront Lucaya district, with beaches, resorts and shopping. Nearby, Deadman's Reef is popular for snorkeling, and the surrounding offshore waters host many dive sites. Up the coast, Lucayan National Park features extensive underwater caves, plus kayaking and nature trails."

LOL, got it.  Thought you were referring to just Freeport.