Vegan Food On Princess

jdacombe

On 11/6/2021 at 5:07 PM, dides said:

We just got off the Regal Princess in the last week and noticed an insta post from a fellow passenger (wansbroughs.cruise.blog) that the main dining room had a separate Vegan menu

image.png.b13a9076e5c58b9ba75fd7dc69abaf67.png

On 11/6/2021 at 7:01 PM, Wansbrough said:

As dides has correctly stated, we recently spent 4 nights on Regal Princess and my wife was totally surprised to find out they now have a vegan menu in the MDR. We only dined in the MDR 2 nights out of 4 but there were different menus. Not all the serving staff were aware so you will need to ask.

Well done Princess Cruises! Hopefully they will do now do something in the speciality restaurants so we can enjoy these venues together too. (Time to one up on their rivals) 😉

PhotoCollage_20211106_081203227.thumb.jpg.cb43bdc7d94b24f3932f63b76515d239.jpg

My husband is a vegan and we have found that the options (and that vegan menu) vary with the ship.

Some ships had the menu but it was the same menu every night.

Some claimed they had no idea what we were talking about when we asked for it.

I always try to contact the special services department on Princess before we cruise to let them know he is a vegan before we sail but that doesn't seem to translate to anything different once on board.

We've found that what he actually receives is totally dependent on our having a good waiter and/or Head Waiter. We are just off the Caribbean and tried Club Class for the first time to see if that would make a difference. The first half of the cruise he was served a variety of tasty (he loves Indian food so that helps give the kitchen ideas) meals. Then our wonderful waiter disappeared (they said he got a promotion ????) and so did the wonderful meals. He was still served something vegan but .......

That's all to say your experience may vary.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

The last Princess cruise we did was pre-pandemic, and there was an option before cruising for "vegetarian" but not "vegan". However, I have always had amazing dinners in the MDR by letting them know. My dinners were so lovely that the others started to also order them. lol That was on the Grand. 

We will soon be on the Ruby, our first cruise back, and I was delighted to see "vegan" as an option in my pre-cruise registration. Hoping it will be as good as it was on the Grand. 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Got off the Enchanted Princess in September and there was a different vegan menu every night.  3 options stayed the same / 3 new options each night. I already know what I'm having my 1st night next week : vegan onion soup!! Loved it 

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Got off the Enchanted Princess in September and there was a different vegan menu every night.  3 options stayed the same / 3 new options each night. I already know what I'm having my 1st night next week : vegan onion soup!! Loved it 

SIX vegan options each night!

Amazing!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Currently on a Princess ship and I would say the vegetarian/vegan options are continually disappointing. Most nights in the MDR there are no pasta options available for a vegetarian let alone a vegan.

Even in the buffet area it is difficult. I do not want to eat salad every meal. They also don’t label things vegetarian/vegan in the buffet so you have to ask. Sometimes things that appear on the surface to be vegan/vegetarian are not eg a vegetable based dish made with a meat broth… it is very disappointing that they don’t rectify this. Pretty much anyone can eat vegan/vegetarian food but not everyone wants to eat meat/fish but there are an abundance of meat and fish options at every food outlet. 

Hearing about the secret vegan menu that might be available I will ask about it this evening and see if they have one. It shouldn’t be a secret though if they do have one. 

I make do but it would be so much better if they just thought about it a little more. It would not be difficult to correct. 

Edited by Knixuk

• 1 month later...
On 12/2/2022 at 3:37 AM, Ombud said:

Did the vegan onion soup have bread or a crouton in it?  I would like to try that!  

On 11/6/2021 at 2:34 PM, jdacombe said:

After having a great week in September on the Regal we are considering a family cruise next year with Princess.

One of our sons is a vegan and on our last cruise could not find any vegan options on any of the menus, does anybody have any experience of vegan food on Princess ships or are aware if vegan options are possible.

We would be very grateful for any information. Thank you

I was on the Sky in January and many Vegan options were available in the buffet. I took photos for my vegan daughterIMG_8728.thumb.jpeg.1a59a4eefcb0da12be93b046e8fe6d9a.jpegIMG_8727.thumb.jpeg.bb79451bb0e80036bc32392975191390.jpegIMG_8725.thumb.jpeg.f7180bb0962a3ffea65f208ed399af3f.jpeg

• Thanks 3

This is a great thread, as well as encouraging. Due to some genetic issues, I eat a WFPB Vegan diet which is really limiting. I am happy to see the improvements on the ship which really helps. As many of you may know, the "WFBP" means no oil, no sugar, refined flour (white), so it is really challenging. At least I know I can have oatmeal and fruit at breakfast and then lots of salads.

We will be on the Sky in June.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, nini said:

This is a great thread, as well as encouraging. Due to some genetic issues, I eat a WFPB Vegan diet which is really limiting. I am happy to see the improvements on the ship which really helps. As many of you may know, the "WFBP" means no oil, no sugar, refined flour (white), so it is really challenging. At least I know I can have oatmeal and fruit at breakfast and then lots of salads.

That does sound challenging. Good luck. What can you actually eat besides oatmeal, fruit, and salads?

My husband is strict vegan (also no sugar, refined white flour..).  We get club class dining so that we can work with the same dining crew most if not all nights. They would show my husband next nights menu and then figure which can be made vegan.  There were also many options in the buffet and staff who verified which was vegan vs vegetarian.  He does not go hungry in the least. 

11 hours ago, ontheweb said:

That does sound challenging. Good luck. What can you actually eat besides oatmeal, fruit, and salads?

You sound like someone who is not being familiar with being vegan. That is the response I get when they say what CAN you eat? YES, I horribly miss milk chocolate, caramel corn, etc.

Fortunately, I love to cook and do almost everything from scratch. There is actually a a "Whole wheat white flour" that is a different breed from white flour or whole wheat flour. I have made fabulous pumpkin bread with it. The egg substitute is flax seed and the sweetener is real maple syrup and the "butter" is unsweetened applesauce.

I make my own salsa and toast my own tortilla chips (corn tortillas).

I make my own Marinara sauce and use whole wheat pasta. We eat lots of salads and I use black beans.

I have made french toast using whole wheat bread, flax seeds and water is the egg and use real maple syrup.

The Instant Pot is great for soups, pastas, artichokes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, nini said:

You sound like someone who is not being familiar with being vegan. That is the response I get when they say what CAN you eat? YES, I horribly miss milk chocolate, caramel corn, etc.

Fortunately, I love to cook and do almost everything from scratch. There is actually a a "Whole wheat white flour" that is a different breed from white flour or whole wheat flour. I have made fabulous pumpkin bread with it. The egg substitute is flax seed and the sweetener is real maple syrup and the "butter" is unsweetened applesauce.

I make my own salsa and toast my own tortilla chips (corn tortillas).

I make my own Marinara sauce and use whole wheat pasta. We eat lots of salads and I use black beans.

I have made french toast using whole wheat bread, flax seeds and water is the egg and use real maple syrup.

The Instant Pot is great for soups, pastas, artichokes.

OK, you have a lot of options making things from scratch, but how well does that translate to eating on a cruise ship? Do you expect them to have all those special ingredients? Do you have to questsion every food you order?

6 hours ago, ontheweb said:

OK, you have a lot of options making things from scratch, but how well does that translate to eating on a cruise ship? Do you expect them to have all those special ingredients? Do you have to questsion every food you order?

I am pretty imaginative and plan on doing what I can. I will let them know I am vegan and maybe the other stipulations and see what they can come up with. They seem to be very accommodating with passengers. I am pretty knowledgeable with what has sugar, flour, oil. At least if they are aware, then that is a big step forward.

And admittedly, I may not be as hardcore on vacation regarding white flour, sugar and oil. I always seem to manage when not at home.

And the improvements in the buffet are very encouraging.

And salmon is always an exception! Yum

And we will be on the Sky in June and it looks very promising.

Edited by nini
additional words

14 hours ago, Familycruzer11 said:

My husband is strict vegan (also no sugar, refined white flour..).  We get club class dining so that we can work with the same dining crew most if not all nights. They would show my husband next nights menu and then figure which can be made vegan.  There were also many options in the buffet and staff who verified which was vegan vs vegetarian.  He does not go hungry in the least. 

Thanks for posting. People always question me, what do you eat?

We will not have Club Class dining so I hope that the main dining room can be as accommodating (on the Sky).

What were some of his favorite dishes for lunches and dinners? Does he consume oil?

Thanks!

We were on the Sky Princess in December. In addition to the buffet lunch/dinner vegan options shown in Samkitty's awesome photos, we found a rotating selection of vegan breakfast entrees, in addition to vegan pastries. Loved the coconut rotis and the soy muesli.

1 hour ago, Dididi said:

We were on the Sky Princess in December. In addition to the buffet lunch/dinner vegan options shown in Samkitty's awesome photos, we found a rotating selection of vegan breakfast entrees, in addition to vegan pastries. Loved the coconut rotis and the soy muesli.

Thanks! Was this in the buffet?

2 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

Hmmm..what type of yogurt?

I had that menu on our Dec 2021 cruise on the Sky Princess.  The yogurt is dairy milk.  Princess does not have non-dairy (coconut, almond, soy) yogurt 😔

On 3/12/2023 at 1:27 PM, nini said:

I am sort of in the same situation.  I have Neuropathy (not from Diabetes) and sugar, refined flour (white breads, white pasta) also white rice, cauliflower, potatoes (fries, mashed, baked, etc), sweet potatoes and very high sodium foods -- all of these aggravate my nerve pain.  While these foods are not damaging to my health - it makes my feet hurt! A couple of these make my feet burn so bad that I want to chop them off!  On top of all of that, I am a Vegetarian and Lactose Intolerant.  Very hard for me to find food to eat on cruises.  Princess really needs to step up their game with Vegetarian / Vegan options.  Holland America, Norwegian, Royal Caribbean, Disney & Virgin all have amazing V&V options!  

• Thanks 1