**** CARNIVAL COVID TESTING THREAD #1 **** PLEASE READ!!!!!

Host Carolyn

Are there any exemptions if you have had Covid in the last month? We are suppose to leave on Dec 18 and my sister tested positive yesterday. I’ve read that some can test positive for up to 90 days. So it’s possible she may not test negative 2 days prior to sailing. 

51 minutes ago, indyonerose said:

Are there any exemptions if you have had Covid in the last month? We are suppose to leave on Dec 18 and my sister tested positive yesterday. I’ve read that some can test positive for up to 90 days. So it’s possible she may not test negative 2 days prior to sailing. 

Are you asking "Are there any exemptions for people who test positive right up until the time of the cruise but think they don't have COVID anymore?"  How exactly would such an exemption work?🤔

3 hours ago, cellfree said:

You referred to the Rapid Diagnostic Test IDNow that Walgreens offered. Is that acceptable for Carnival? I cannot find that exact wording on the web site. 

From https://www.carnival.com/Legal/covid-19-legal-notices/return-to-service-faqs

What kind of pre-cruise COVID-19 tests are acceptable?

Guests must be tested with a COVID-19 viral test that is either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT).

Antigen tests include (acceptable for fully vaccinated guests only):

• Rapid antigen test
  • Viral antigen test
  • Antigen Chromatographic Digital Immunoassay
  • Antigen Chemiluminescence Immunoassay, or
  • Antigen Lateral Flow Fluorescence

NAAT include (acceptable for vaccinated and unvaccinated guests):

• PCR – Polymerase chain reaction
  • RT-PCR – reverse transcription real time PCR
  • Quantitative PCR (qPCR)
  • Reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP) test
  • Transcription-mediated amplification (TMA) test
  • Molecular test or molecular diagnostic test
  • Isothermal amplification
  • Droplet Digital PCR or digital droplet PCR (ddPCR)
  • Clustered regularly interspaced short palindromic repeats (CRISPR)

A rapid antigen or rapid PCR test is acceptable (of the test types listed above).

13 minutes ago, Calnev1 said:

From https://www.carnival.com/Legal/covid-19-legal-notices/return-to-service-faqs

What kind of pre-cruise COVID-19 tests are acceptable?

Guests must be tested with a COVID-19 viral test that is either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT).

Antigen tests include (acceptable for fully vaccinated guests only):

• Rapid antigen test
  • Viral antigen test
  • Antigen Chromatographic Digital Immunoassay
  • Antigen Chemiluminescence Immunoassay, or
  • Antigen Lateral Flow Fluorescence

NAAT include (acceptable for vaccinated and unvaccinated guests):

• PCR – Polymerase chain reaction
  • RT-PCR – reverse transcription real time PCR
  • Quantitative PCR (qPCR)
  • Reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP) test
  • Transcription-mediated amplification (TMA) test
  • Molecular test or molecular diagnostic test
  • Isothermal amplification
  • Droplet Digital PCR or digital droplet PCR (ddPCR)
  • Clustered regularly interspaced short palindromic repeats (CRISPR)

A rapid antigen or rapid PCR test is acceptable (of the test types listed above).

And the Walgreen's website says the Rapid Diagnostic test is a NAAT test:

1. Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID NOW): The Rapid Point-of-Care (POC) - NAAT (ID NOW) test also detects genetic material (mRNA) of the virus. The test is performed on-site, and results are available within 24 hours.

30 minutes ago, Calnev1 said:

Are you asking "Are there any exemptions for people who test positive right up until the time of the cruise but think they don't have COVID anymore?"  How exactly would such an exemption work?🤔

If you have doctor documented proof that having covid recently is causing you to still test positive. 

3 minutes ago, indyonerose said:

If you have doctor documented proof that having covid recently is causing you to still test positive. 

So how, exactly, will this hypothetical doctor know that you no longer have COVID?   Only by a negative COVID test of some sort, I think.

6 hours ago, indyonerose said:

Walgreens has the BinaxNOW OTC kit that is a home test and not proctor test, this is for test only and not approve for travel, the box comes with 2 tests inside it and cost $23.00  Your sister and your family if you have had contact with her can go to Walgreens and buy this test to make sure. 

There is also a pre-check-in questionnaire that will ask if you have been around someone with Covid within the last 14 days or so. December 18 is 22 days out.

If your sister test positive on that Thursday Dec 16 two days prior to boarding she will not be able to go period as she will not be able to produce a Negative test, there’s no exemption letter for positive results.

Fred

16267A6A-EB02-4E07-80A9-E1D9BF3B37C0.jpeg

Edited by Wennfred

Like I posted on page 1, a French couple from France had a letter from his doctor saying he was immune because he got Covid and beat it, then he got 1 Phizer vaccine. His doctor wrote  a letter that was good enough. When they got to the ship they got sent home. 

Again read the rules, must have 2 Phizer vaccines, if he had the J&J one he would of been good to go. Cruiselines are going with CDC guidelines which states 2 phizer shots, the rules are clear on their website.

Fred

Edited by Wennfred

14 hours ago, cellfree said:

You referred to the Rapid Diagnostic Test IDNow that Walgreens offered. Is that acceptable for Carnival? I cannot find that exact wording on the web site. 

Yes this the test that my sons and my mother took. They are all vaccinated. Carnival accepted these tests.

• Like 1

Following up with an end to my story - what would any of us do without these Boards:

1) Yesterday morning went to CVS in Florida for PCR test for Sunday's cruise and a letter was given to us from CVS that said results will be back within 2-4 days (we had this same test done in October and letter at that time said results will be back within 1-2 days) so I was somewhat concerned about the 2-4 day thing

2) Went home and did more reading on this thread and people were referring to the Walgreens Rapid Diagnostic Test ID NOW which gives results in 24 hours that Carnival accepts - my confusion was the Carnival website not specifically calling it that

3) So for peace of mind made appointments at Walgreens for this morning and went and took test there and within an hour our test results were sent to us (husband just received CVS results as well, I have not seen my CVS results yet)

Thank you to all who rseponded to questons I have had the last few days!

I’m already booked on an NCL cruise out of Los Angeles and am pondering taking a 3-day Carnival cruise the day after disembarkation from the first cruise. If I get a test during the day of embarkation, does that fall within the requirements for Carnival? 

I got confused because of how they talk about the 2-day rule on the website

EDIT: Got the above question answered by a post earlier in this thread. Thank you to the person that posted the table of when to get tested based on departure day. 

If I am not able to get a test near Long Beach or on NCL, I’ve heard that Carnival will let you use Doc2Go at the pier. Anyone done that? How much was it and did the results come back quickly?

TIA

Edited by thegriff

We are at the Residence inn Port Canaveral this morning.  We  are sailing Royal and sitting next to a couple for breakfast who are sailing Carnival Magic.  We were talking about the number of Covid cases in the area they live and I mentioned that of course they were tested yesterday and they gave me a blank look!  They said Carnival never said they need to be tested.  I didn’t know for sure but I told them that I believe every cruise line has a testing requirement.  I suggested they call Carnival right away and see if there’s a testing option at the port. Royal does but it’s $99.  We may run into them on the shuttle.  Does Carnival have port testing option?  I told them to see if there was a local option as plan B.  It’s their anniversary and I hope they can get tested 🤞

21 hours ago, thegriff said:

I’m already booked on an NCL cruise out of Los Angeles and am pondering taking a 3-day Carnival cruise the day after disembarkation from the first cruise. If I get a test during the day of embarkation, does that fall within the requirements for Carnival? 

I got confused because of how they talk about the 2-day rule on the website

EDIT: Got the above question answered by a post earlier in this thread. Thank you to the person that posted the table of when to get tested based on departure day. 

If I am not able to get a test near Long Beach or on NCL, I’ve heard that Carnival will let you use Doc2Go at the pier. Anyone done that? How much was it and did the results come back quickly?

TIA

You heard? From where? Nothing on Carnival’s website talks about Doc2go. If you’re not able to get a test done then your best bet is to order the at home kit mentioned on page 1

Fred

1 hour ago, torpeedo said:

We are at the Residence inn Port Canaveral this morning.  We  are sailing Royal and sitting next to a couple for breakfast who are sailing Carnival Magic.  We were talking about the number of Covid cases in the area they live and I mentioned that of course they were tested yesterday and they gave me a blank look!  They said Carnival never said they need to be tested.  I didn’t know for sure but I told them that I believe every cruise line has a testing requirement.  I suggested they call Carnival right away and see if there’s a testing option at the port. Royal does but it’s $99.  We may run into them on the shuttle.  Does Carnival have port testing option?  I told them to see if there was a local option as plan B.  It’s their anniversary and I hope they can get tested 🤞

Some people just don’t read the rules, these people unfortunately will be left behind today.

Fred

I’ve had another question arise, this time about getting a Covid test on board the ship. 

I may be going right from one cruise to another (Carnival to Princess). Does anyone know if one can get a Covid test onboard a Carnival ship in order to meet the 2-day prior testing requirement of the next cruise?

2 hours ago, thegriff said:

I’ve had another question arise, this time about getting a Covid test on board the ship. 

I may be going right from one cruise to another (Carnival to Princess). Does anyone know if one can get a Covid test onboard a Carnival ship in order to meet the 2-day prior testing requirement of the next cruise?

No Covid test onboard, use the Abbott eMed kit when you arrive with your phone. That’s how most vloggers are doing it.

Walgreen's website says the rapid test is "free" but reading fine print, the lab bills your insurance. My insurance has told me they do not cover testing for travel (Anthem) Has anyone truly gotten rapid testing for free?  I'm in Denver area if anyone  has specific knowledge.  I'm on Sunrise December 9 and excited but starting to panic. TIA! 

4 minutes ago, 2fromaurora said:

Walgreen's website says the rapid test is "free" but reading fine print, the lab bills your insurance. My insurance has told me they do not cover testing for travel (Anthem) Has anyone truly gotten rapid testing for free?  I'm in Denver area if anyone  has specific knowledge.  I'm on Sunrise December 9 and excited but starting to panic. TIA! 

Hypothetically speaking, what happens if you tell them you don't have insurance?  Would they turn you away?  

18 hours ago, Wennfred said:

No Covid test onboard, use the Abbott eMed kit when you arrive with your phone. That’s how most vloggers are doing it.

We're doing a B2B mid December and our PVP said for the 2nd cruise (same ship, same cabin) they would test us free since we are vaccinated.  Does this sound right or should I be ordering some of the eMed kits?

Just received the email that Carnival has opened up port testing reservations for cruises through January 2022 (see ports below).  The fee is a non-refundable $100 and reservations are first come first served.

We are going the CVS/Walgreens rapid test route, as we plan to look for available appointments to get tested on Christmas Eve, once the 2 week appt window at CVS opens up on 12/10 (we cruise on 12/26).  With that said, it is always good to know what options are out there, in case there are those who are not able to secure an appointment at a pharmacy or urgent care, or who may not be able to get an at-home proctored test kit, as we understand everyone is dealing with different situations from a logistics standpoint.  The more options the better!

Baltimore, Charleston, Galveston, Long Beach, New Orleans Reserve now
Miami, Port Canaveral, Tampa Reserve now 
Edited by carolinablue704
additional details