Help me plan my perfect (free or low cost) day in Coco Cay

travispete

My family of three (13 year old daughter, husband and I) will be at Coco Cay for the first time. If we didn't want to spend any money (or not too much money) aside from food, what is the best experience there. What is the best step by step itinerary of the day? ie, get off ship, walk to X, find a lounger at Y, then........ you get the idea. 

Thank you so much, in advance, for your help. 

Edited by travispete

• travispete changed the title to Help me plan my perfect (free or low cost) day in Coco Cay

You don't need to spend any money on food here.  The Snack Shack and the Chill Grill (both which are really good) are completely free.  The Snack Shack (back by the Oasis Pool) opens around 10:30 (at least pre-covid).  There are plenty of chairs/umbrellas, so you don't need to worry about that.  My kids brought their own snorkel equipment and they tried to snorkel by Chill Island, but it was too rough to see anything.  We moved to Harbor Beach, which was nice and calm (and warm in the Winter), but there wasn't anything to see here.  We also wandered around the Straw Market looking at the local stuff that was for sale.  We have been here twice and still haven't been over to the Oasis Pool. so I can't comment on that.  I've also not been to South Beach.  Also note that by Chill Grill you can swap wet/sandy towels for clean/dry ones.  

• Like 1

I agree with @Cutigerlady about not spending money on food! I personally love the crispy chicken sandwich and mozzarella sticks from the Snack Shack. I recently did a cruise that had 2 stops at CocoCay, and we did not spend any money (aside from drinks) on our second stop, so it's definitely easy to have a great time without extra $$. 

My Perfect Day would start with a lounge chair and swimming at Harbor Beach, lunch at the Snack Shack, an afternoon at the Oasis Lagoon Pool, and finish off the day with a little live music at Captain Jacks. I posted a review on CC that might have some helpful CocoCay info - you can find it here. Or if that's a bit too much to read, this post covers our second day at CocoCay where we only spent money on drinks.

I hope this helps! Have a great cruise!

Edited by RachLovesSteak
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, RachLovesSteak said:

I agree with @Cutigerlady about not spending money on food! I personally love the crispy chicken sandwich and mozzarella sticks from the Snack Shack. I recently did a cruise that had 2 stops at CocoCay, and we did not spend any money (aside from drinks) on our second stop, so it's definitely easy to have a great time without extra $$. 

My Perfect Day would start with a lounge chair and swimming at Harbor Beach, lunch at the Snack Shack, and an afternoon at the Oasis Lagoon Pool. I posted a review on CC that might have some helpful CocoCay info - you can find it here. Or if that's a bit too much to read, this post covers our second day at CocoCay where we only spent money on drinks.

I hope this helps! Have a great cruise!

Thank you so much!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Cutigerlady said:

You don't need to spend any money on food here.  The Snack Shack and the Chill Grill (both which are really good) are completely free.  The Snack Shack (back by the Oasis Pool) opens around 10:30 (at least pre-covid).  There are plenty of chairs/umbrellas, so you don't need to worry about that.  My kids brought their own snorkel equipment and they tried to snorkel by Chill Island, but it was too rough to see anything.  We moved to Harbor Beach, which was nice and calm (and warm in the Winter), but there wasn't anything to see here.  We also wandered around the Straw Market looking at the local stuff that was for sale.  We have been here twice and still haven't been over to the Oasis Pool. so I can't comment on that.  I've also not been to South Beach.  Also note that by Chill Grill you can swap wet/sandy towels for clean/dry ones.  

Thank you so much.

We were big spenders a couple of weeks ago. 😏 Bought $3 worth of steak fries at Captain Jack's as we were there early before all the other food venues opened. Got all 4 dipping sauces also. The sambal garlic aioli was the best!

No need or desire to spend more. Kept looking at the floating cabanas folks pay $1700 or so  from the free beach chairs that were easy to find and it just boggled my mind.... Loved the new South Beach area.

Edited by coaster
  • Like 2

The only thing I would caution you on is that just as you leave the ship you'll see all the amazing for fee things.  Now you may walk right past, but depending on your daughter she may be less inclined to do so.  I think I would prepare her in advance, so she knows what to expect.  She'll have fun regardless.

• Like 2

Had some of the best "make your own" taco's at the Grill, and if you get the drink package, it works on the island as well!  We got a couple loungers at Oasis Pool, right near the swim up bar (on the Balloon side) and had a blast all day.  Walked around the island, did some souvenir shopping, swam out to the floating bar at South Beach (I think that's where it was).  There's basketball courts, free water features for the little ones too.  It's truly an amazing spot to hang for the day and no need to spend a penny unless you want drinks (without the drink package).

• Like 1

Best Beach Day EVER if you're into beaches. Beach hop to each beach and grab a snack or lunch between each hop. Plenty of good free food so no need to spend a penny on food at Coco Cay. Don't forget to go to the Oasis pool.  It is huge and really nice. If your DD is into water slides you might have to go visit the water slide park.  If she's scary or timid she probably will not want to go to the water park. Or if she's out of shape because there are lots of steps to reach some of the water slides.   They also have a kids water park that is free.  At 13 she might enjoy that instead of spending $80+ for the water park passes.

Coco Cay to me is a FREE BEACH DAY!  We never spend any money unless we want an adult beverage.