Is my plan for COVID testing logical to get onto cruise/flight?

peacefrogdog

Flying from YYZ to MCO December 26th, boarding Independence of the seas for a Dec 27-31st cruise, and then flying back from MCO Dec 31st at 130 pm. Travel party is all over age 12 and fully vaccinated with 2 shots of Pfizer (3 for some)

From what I understand:

- to fly into USA, we need a negative COVID test done no more than 3 days prior to flight departure (they don't specify 72 hours) that can be an antigen test as per the CDC:  https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html) . Flight leaves Dec 26th at 7 pm.

- Royal Caribbean requires proof of a negative test no more than 2 days (not 48 hours) before boarding day (dec 27th) that can also be a antigen test (https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/will-i-have-to-take-a-test-before-i-cruise

- to reenter Canada, we need to show proof of a negative test that can't be an antigen test, so would need to be a PCR test, within 72 hours of our flight (which is Dec 31st at 130 pm).

Let me know if this plan seems to make sense and fits within the stipulations of the US Border, Royal Caribbean, and Government of Canada:

1. December 25th: booked antigen testing at Shopper's Drug mart to be done at 2 pm. These should fit the criteria for both entry into USA (as would be within 3 days prior to our travel Dec 26th) and for Royal Caribbean (as would be within 2 days of boarding Dec 27th). 

2. Sometime after 130 pm on Dec 28th, we arrange for PCR testing on board Royal Caribbean ship (which I understand is at no cost to us) that will allow us to re-enter Canada.  From what I've been reading, results seem to come back within 24 hours.

Am I missing something or am I off with my calculations? 

Thanks in advance. This is our first trip in 3 years so making sure of all the little details.

To be on the safe side, I’d call that shoppers drug mart to confirm that they’re going to be open on Christmas Day. I know it’s not the same thing but I was supposed to get a blood test and I went online and scheduled the appointment with the clinic. And I went down there and the door was locked and a paper sign in the window saying they’re closed on Thursdays and Fridays. It didn’t make any sense that they would let me book the appointment if they were going to be closed but a lot of things don’t make a lot of sense these days.

As long as flight is direct without a USA stop over you should be fine.  If you stop in say Chicago or Atlanta before heading to YYZ your PCR test time would have to be changed to reflect final departure time in US I believe.  At least it use to be.............................

Edited by ALD18

The only possible hiccup that I can see in your plan is in your point #2 where you say "arrange for PCR testing on board Royal Caribbean ship".  My wife and I are just back from a Mediterranean/Greece cruise with NCL.  Their Sail Safe policy likewise committed to providing whatever testing was necessary to travel home. We are Canadians and so that meant we would get a PCR test.  No 'finer' details had ever been provided on when the test would be administered before disembarkation, but common sense would suggest that it would be done within 72 hours of our departing flight to Canada  (otherwise it does not meet the "necessary" in their policy).   That is what we assumed would happen.  There were some exemptions given to this policy, like if you were getting off the ship and staying for 2 or more nights before your departing flight, but that was not the case with us - we met the necessary conditions to get the test.  But like the previous responder said, we had a layor between the first and second legs of our flight home and that  took us outside of the 72 hours.  We had fully expected that NCL would 'customize' our test to our flight situation, and in the very least expected that testing would not be until the morning before disembarkation.  Instead,  NCL decided they wanted it done 2 full days before disembarkation and allowed no exceptions to their process.  Anything other than this and you had to pay $150 for them to conduct the test - later, and before disembarkation.  This despite the fact that they were doing PCR tests on crew only the following day AND still promising PCR results by disembarkation.  None of this made sense and certainly did not live up to their Sail Safe policy, but needless to say we had to spend our last day of the cruise scrambling to find a PCR test in Athens.   I continue to argue with NCL that we should be reimbursed for our costs, for something that NCL promised they would do, and had they been flexible (and fair), would have/should have made happen.

My point?  I would not assume that you can "arrange" your own PCR test process for disembarkation with your cruise-line.   They want to do an 'assembly line' procedure and like NCL, may feel that all they are obligated to provide is the test, not the qualifying timeline in which the test is conducted.   (Any dummy knows by now that testing and timeline go hand in hand.)  But don't assume that NCL or Royal or any other cruise line cares.  Call them ahead and get a verbal commitment that the test AND the timeline will be provided as necessary to travel home.  Then, once on board, get Guest Relations (and preferrably someone on the Medical Team) to confirm this again.  Assume nothing!  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, CruisingRJY said:

The only possible hiccup that I can see in your plan is in your point #2 where you say "arrange for PCR testing on board Royal Caribbean ship".  My wife and I are just back from a Mediterranean/Greece cruise with NCL.  Their Sail Safe policy likewise committed to providing whatever testing was necessary to travel home. We are Canadians and so that meant we would get a PCR test.  No 'finer' details had ever been provided on when the test would be administered before disembarkation, but common sense would suggest that it would be done within 72 hours of our departing flight to Canada  (otherwise it does not meet the "necessary" in their policy).   That is what we assumed would happen.  There were some exemptions given to this policy, like if you were getting off the ship and staying for 2 or more nights before your departing flight, but that was not the case with us - we met the necessary conditions to get the test.  But like the previous responder said, we had a layor between the first and second legs of our flight home and that  took us outside of the 72 hours.  We had fully expected that NCL would 'customize' our test to our flight situation, and in the very least expected that testing would not be until the morning before disembarkation.  Instead,  NCL decided they wanted it done 2 full days before disembarkation and allowed no exceptions to their process.  Anything other than this and you had to pay $150 for them to conduct the test - later, and before disembarkation.  This despite the fact that they were doing PCR tests on crew only the following day AND still promising PCR results by disembarkation.  None of this made sense and certainly did not live up to their Sail Safe policy, but needless to say we had to spend our last day of the cruise scrambling to find a PCR test in Athens.   I continue to argue with NCL that we should be reimbursed for our costs, for something that NCL promised they would do, and had they been flexible (and fair), would have/should have made happen.

My point?  I would not assume that you can "arrange" your own PCR test process for disembarkation with your cruise-line.   They want to do an 'assembly line' procedure and like NCL, may feel that all they are obligated to provide is the test, not the qualifying timeline in which the test is conducted.   (Any dummy knows by now that testing and timeline go hand in hand.)  But don't assume that NCL or Royal or any other cruise line cares.  Call them ahead and get a verbal commitment that the test AND the timeline will be provided as necessary to travel home.  Then, once on board, get Guest Relations (and preferrably someone on the Medical Team) to confirm this again.  Assume nothing!  

You must have overnighted in Europe for there to have been more than 72 hours between the time of your test and the scheduled departure time of your final flight back to Canada. It's unfortunate that NCL wasn't more accommodating given the circumstances. Fortunately, the OP's party will be flying back to Canada with no overnight in the US, so even with a test on the second last full day and a connecting flight thrown in, will have no issues.

Trying to confirm the distinction between 72 hours vs 3 days prior to sailing.....my scenario is that we are boarding our Viking cruise on Feb 6th.....so is it correct that I can get my test done anytime on Feb 3rd?...and, as I am a Canadian sailing from LA, would the test for the cruise have to be a PCR test or would an antigen test be adequate?

flight from Canada to San Diego is Feb 1st.....so I can get my antigen test done for Air Canada/ US Customs on Jan 30th?

is there any official posting on how this 3 days vs 72 hours is interpreted by CDC?....CLIA?.....Air Canada

Thanks in advance

18 minutes ago, powderhorn said:

Trying to confirm the distinction between 72 hours vs 3 days prior to sailing.....my scenario is that we are boarding our Viking cruise on Feb 6th.....so is it correct that I can get my test done anytime on Feb 3rd?...and, as I am a Canadian sailing from LA, would the test for the cruise have to be a PCR test or would an antigen test be adequate?

flight from Canada to San Diego is Feb 1st.....so I can get my antigen test done for Air Canada/ US Customs on Jan 30th?

is there any official posting on how this 3 days vs 72 hours is interpreted by CDC?....CLIA?.....Air Canada

Thanks in advance

Going into the States to the cruise port is based on a calendar day starting/ending at midnight.  The day of the test does not count.  When you return to Canada you have to depart from your final destination (scheduled direct flight or scheduled final layover departure) within 72 hours to the actual hour when your test was taken.  So if you have your test at 10:00 a.m on a Monday you have to be on your final departure by 10:00 a.m on Thursday.  If your scheduled flight goes at 11:00 test is invalid.  Be cautious of the usual 24 hour result turn around to get results as well.  Clear as mud:)

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, powderhorn said:

Thanks in advance

Lets look at and example to help clarify.

If you are sailing at 4:00pm on Sunday. If you use the 72 hour rule, then the test would have to be no earlier than 4:00pm Thursday. If you use the three day rules, you could take the test at any time on Thursday, effectively giving you an additional 16 hours. The reason most cruise lines went to days instead of hours was because there was no longer a need to calculate the time. As long as that test was on Thursday, you would be good to go. 

Assuming that Viking is using the 3 day rule (most have gone to two days), then your plan to be tested on the 3rd is fine.

I've not looked at Viking's requirements, but the vast majority of lines require only an antigen test for cruises out of the US.

For your flight to the US, your test - antigen will suffice - has to be within 3 days, so your plan for January 30th for a February 1st flight is perfect.

For your return to Canada, as things stand now, you will require a PRC test within 72 hours of the scheduled time of your final flight to Canada. I don't know if Viking provides tests, but if not, you will need to arrange for one in your disembarkation port. 

Finally, don't forget that you will need to complete the ArriveCAN app before flying home. 

I hope that helps, but don't hesitate to ask if you have further questions.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Thanks for the replies....to refine this a bit more I went and checked Air Canada's  and Viking's websites to see what they said. So in chronological order:

1. To get to fly to the US from Canada leaving on Feb 1st, first scheduled departure time is 12:30:

Air Canada site says about testing timeframe to fly to US:

Travelers must take the test no more than 3 days before the first scheduled departure time in the flight itinerary.

So for my departure flight on Feb 1st, I could take the test as early as Jan 29th...anytime?..... or anytime after 12:30?

2. To meet Viking's requirements to embark the cruise on Feb 6th:

Viking in their Q&A for Health and Safety state:

If you are traveling independently outside of your home country, you must take a PCR test no more than 72 hours prior to your first Viking activity (embarking ship or joining pre-cruise extension). This may involve arranging a test independently in the country you are visiting.

So prior to my embarkation at 3PM on Feb 6th, I need to arrange for a PCR test no earlier than 3PM , Feb 3rd?

3. In order to re-enter Canada on my flight leaving FLL at 1:20 on Feb 23rd direct to YUL:

Air Canada site says about testing timeframe to return to Canada:

The test must be taken a maximum of 72 hours before the departure of their last direct flight to Canada.

So for my return flight back to Canada on Feb 23rd I need to take a PCR test no earlier than 1:20 on Feb 20th?  (Viking provides PCR tests on board)

So it seems Viking, US, and Canada has a blend of 72 hr/3 day requirements for timing on testing....based on your replies I just wanted to confirm my interpretation of these. The 72 hour requirement is pretty specific....it's the 3 day one that has me a bit nervous.....probably should just make sure all my tests are done inside the 72 hour window....:-)

Thanks again

Apparently, if I read it correctly, Viking wants a PCR test, not an optigen.  Optigen's are based on the calendar day.  PCR you are "on the clock".  Your timing on either end looks correct, but I would not get your tests to be exact to your actual departure times.  I would try to get them later in the day to give yourself some fudge factor for delays.  For example, if you flight is at 12:30 I would schedule the test for 3:00-4:00 for safeties sake.  Same on the other end if you can.  Build in a contingency plan.

On 11/24/2021 at 8:56 PM, peacefrogdog said:

Flying from YYZ to MCO December 26th, boarding Independence of the seas for a Dec 27-31st cruise, and then flying back from MCO Dec 31st at 130 pm. Travel party is all over age 12 and fully vaccinated with 2 shots of Pfizer (3 for some)

From what I understand:

- to fly into USA, we need a negative COVID test done no more than 3 days prior to flight departure (they don't specify 72 hours) that can be an antigen test as per the CDC:  https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html) . Flight leaves Dec 26th at 7 pm.

- Royal Caribbean requires proof of a negative test no more than 2 days (not 48 hours) before boarding day (dec 27th) that can also be a antigen test (https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/will-i-have-to-take-a-test-before-i-cruise

- to reenter Canada, we need to show proof of a negative test that can't be an antigen test, so would need to be a PCR test, within 72 hours of our flight (which is Dec 31st at 130 pm).

Let me know if this plan seems to make sense and fits within the stipulations of the US Border, Royal Caribbean, and Government of Canada:

1. December 25th: booked antigen testing at Shopper's Drug mart to be done at 2 pm. These should fit the criteria for both entry into USA (as would be within 3 days prior to our travel Dec 26th) and for Royal Caribbean (as would be within 2 days of boarding Dec 27th). 

2. Sometime after 130 pm on Dec 28th, we arrange for PCR testing on board Royal Caribbean ship (which I understand is at no cost to us) that will allow us to re-enter Canada.  From what I've been reading, results seem to come back within 24 hours.

Am I missing something or am I off with my calculations? 

Thanks in advance. This is our first trip in 3 years so making sure of all the little details.

Since the antigen test needs to be done by the pharmacist, you may want to confirm they can do it on Christmas day. You might have more luck getting an early appointment on the 26th, since your flight doesn't leave until 7 pm you have some time (the test only take 15 minutes or so to get results). Some airports also have them, which might be a back up plan on that part.

The rest looks good 🙂

2 hours ago, MamatoJack said:

Since the antigen test needs to be done by the pharmacist, you may want to confirm they can do it on Christmas day. You might have more luck getting an early appointment on the 26th, since your flight doesn't leave until 7 pm you have some time (the test only take 15 minutes or so to get results). Some airports also have them, which might be a back up plan on that part.

The rest looks good 🙂

Thanks.  My friend is the SDM store owner who confirmed they received our online booking for testing. So probably as much of a assurance as I can get 🙂

Contacted RC who said that they can do PCR testing "definitely in time for your flight to Canada" and to book via guest services once on board.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, powderhorn said:

Thanks for the replies....to refine this a bit more I went and checked Air Canada's  and Viking's websites to see what they said. So in chronological order:

1. To get to fly to the US from Canada leaving on Feb 1st, first scheduled departure time is 12:30:

Air Canada site says about testing timeframe to fly to US:

Travelers must take the test no more than 3 days before the first scheduled departure time in the flight itinerary.

So for my departure flight on Feb 1st, I could take the test as early as Jan 29th...anytime?..... or anytime after 12:30?

2. To meet Viking's requirements to embark the cruise on Feb 6th:

Viking in their Q&A for Health and Safety state:

If you are traveling independently outside of your home country, you must take a PCR test no more than 72 hours prior to your first Viking activity (embarking ship or joining pre-cruise extension). This may involve arranging a test independently in the country you are visiting.

So prior to my embarkation at 3PM on Feb 6th, I need to arrange for a PCR test no earlier than 3PM , Feb 3rd?

3. In order to re-enter Canada on my flight leaving FLL at 1:20 on Feb 23rd direct to YUL:

Air Canada site says about testing timeframe to return to Canada:

The test must be taken a maximum of 72 hours before the departure of their last direct flight to Canada.

So for my return flight back to Canada on Feb 23rd I need to take a PCR test no earlier than 1:20 on Feb 20th?  (Viking provides PCR tests on board)

So it seems Viking, US, and Canada has a blend of 72 hr/3 day requirements for timing on testing....based on your replies I just wanted to confirm my interpretation of these. The 72 hour requirement is pretty specific....it's the 3 day one that has me a bit nervous.....probably should just make sure all my tests are done inside the 72 hour window....:-)

Thanks again

For your flight to the US, the requirement and its timing comes from the CDC. It must be taken within 3 days of your departure time, which mean that you can take it at any time on the 29th or the following days. Here's what the CDC has to say about days versus hours:

The 1-day period is 1 day before the flight’s departure and the 3-day period is the 3 days before the flight’s departure. The Order uses 1-day and 3-day time frames instead of 24 hours and 72 hours to provide more flexibility to the air passenger and aircraft operator. By using a 1-day and 3-day window, test acceptability does not depend on the time of the flight or the time of day that the test sample was taken.

For example, if you are fully vaccinated and your flight is at 1pm on a Friday, you could board with a negative test that was taken any time on the prior Tuesday or after. If you are not fully vaccinated and your flight is at 1pm on a Friday, you could board with a negative test that was taken any time on the prior Thursday.

That's a perfectly logical rationale and one that others really should follow IMO. Let's take your pre-boarding test as an example. You are correct as to the timing for your pre-boarding PCR test, within 72 hours of your 3:00pm embarkation. But what happens if there's a traffic jam or other delay and you don't make it to the terminal until 4:00pm? You are now outside that 72 hour window, so are you going to be refused boarding? If they had made it within 3 days, you'd be fine.

In any event, you are correct, you need to take the test no earlier than 3:00pm on Feb 3rd, but I'd probably not take it until the 4th at the earliest.

And again, Canada requires 72 hours, so Viking should give you your PCR test no earlier than 1:20pm on the 20th, just as you've calculated.

All seems to be well in hand. And if you have any concerns, by all means restrict yourself to 72 hours if you have concerns about 3 days versus 72 hours, as your itinerary is sufficiently flexible. And, of course, keep an eye on the ever-changing requirements in the weeks ahead.

I hope that you have a wonderful cruise!

• Thanks 1

Has anyone had any experience with Celebrity out of Florida? On our roll call someone was claiming that celebrity will only accept the antigen test if it’s done in the US and that the one you get in Canada in order to get into US is not accepted.  That does not make any sense to me.  If I’m departing Canada and get tested within 2 days of cruise departing, my test here then that should suffice for embarkation as well.

13 minutes ago, sayvan said:

Has anyone had any experience with Celebrity out of Florida? On our roll call someone was claiming that celebrity will only accept the antigen test if it’s done in the US and that the one you get in Canada in order to get into US is not accepted.  That does not make any sense to me.  If I’m departing Canada and get tested within 2 days of cruise departing, my test here then that should suffice for embarkation as well.

I've seen all sorts of Celebrity guests from Canada who have posted that they used Shoppers, IDA, etc.  We plan on having ours done at our local IDA Pharmacy prior to our Feb 2022 sailing on the Apex if tests are still required.

3 hours ago, sayvan said:

It sure doesn't make sense since the antigen test to enter the US must be FDA approved. Logically it would mean that most, if not all antigen tests available to US residents would not be acceptable to Celebrity.

6 hours ago, sayvan said:

With conflicting stories, I'd say to be safe you need to call Celebrity and get their response, than ask them to give it to you in writing. Don't risk your cruise on a misinterpretation....get it in writing.....

Celebrity is sure "rocking the boat" in regards to all the various testing requirements they are imposing.  Agree with above, a phone call at the minimum is required.  I would suspect the Canadian version should be ok as it is probably based on the same scientific methods.  But who knows...............

10 hours ago, sayvan said:

The poster on your roll call has been misinformed. Since the introduction of the antigen test requirement, Celebrity has accepted tests performed in Canada as long as they met the time requirement. And since the opening of the US border to flights from Europe and elsewhere around the world, they have accepted tests taken in those countries too. If the test is accepted by the CDC in order to enter the US, you can rest assured that it will be accepted by Celebrity.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sayvan said:

I have sailed twice on the Equinox from Fort Lauderdale this year (Aug and Oct).  Both times we got the rapid antigen test from Shoppers Drug Mart (they use an Abbott test) before we left and both times it worked for the flight and for Celebrity to get on the ship.  We got the test on Wed morning, flew on the red eye Wed night, got to Florida on Thursday and boarded the ship on Friday. 

• Like 2

PEI Gov't does free rapid PCR tests....we did one last week around noon (drive through testing) and had the result back by e-mail that evening. They have a link to request travel test results. We requested that in the evening and the signed report was in our email by mid morning next day....that should work for US flight.....but we will have to get another PCR test in San Diego for Viking as we have a 5 day stay over visiting family before the cruise.....that will cost us....

Edited by powderhorn
added information

On 11/24/2021 at 10:29 PM, broberts said:

Plan looks fine, but keep checking appropriate web sites. Changes seem to happen rather randomly, sometimes with little or no notice.

We just got off a Royal Caribbean cruise last week. We didn’t have a choice as to what day our PCR test would be on, they did them all on the last full day. Very efficient process. 

Results back in a few hours. No problem crossing the border. 

We cruise again Dec 29th and our departure testing plan is exactly the same as yours.