IONA- Horizons anyone?

ScratchTheRat

7 hours ago, ScratchTheRat said:

Does anyone have any copies uploaded of the Horizon from Iona? 🙂 Mostly looking for opening times for venues.

Do bear in mind that opening times vary from cruise to cruise, day to day. This is based upon ship capacity, entertainment within, other entertainment around the ship, weather, crew availability.

Therefore whilst a good guide, please dont rely upon.

• Like 1

On 12/6/2021 at 10:12 AM, molecrochip said:

Do bear in mind that opening times vary from cruise to cruise, day to day. This is based upon ship capacity, entertainment within, other entertainment around the ship, weather, crew availability.

Therefore whilst a good guide, please dont rely upon.

Yeah I get that 🙂

just wanting a rough idea of things, like when the gym roughly opens, the hot tub and pool times, food places etc 😄

2 hours ago, ScratchTheRat said:

Yeah I get that 🙂

just wanting a rough idea of things, like when the gym roughly opens, the hot tub and pool times, food places etc 😄

On that well-known, large, social media site there is a very active group called 'Iona Chat', which is very useful...

13 hours ago, ScratchTheRat said:

just wanting a rough idea of things, like when the gym roughly opens, the hot tub and pool times, food places etc

By and large if you make a rough "guess" as to what you would think is appropriate opening hours, you probably wouldn't be far off.

Gyms usually open after early morning exercise classes. There's usually somewhere open for food. Some opening hours will be dictated by what happens on the cruise. Pool times can vary a bit depending on weather, for example.

You can find a few answers on the P&O FAQ:-

https://www.pocruises.com/frequently-asked-questions.life-on-board.FAQ70.summary

Edited by HikingPete
typo

13 hours ago, ScratchTheRat said:

Yeah I get that 🙂

See you in the gym then !! i'll be on a spinning bike, hope to book classes but only can do it once on board.

Steve

8 hours ago, Dave6018 said:

Avoid the American Diner the burgers are terrible, Hook line and vinegar on the other hand was really nice and the Buffet was a major disappointment  

Difficult to tell from your video but I must say that the P&O buffet provision has always been poor in comparison to, for instance, the American Lines. I am a sucker for the daily hot puddings at lunchtime though...😀

Impossible to glean anything really from the video - But an interesting carpet and some intriguing knobbly knees.

But I have never found any of the buffets on board P and O ships to much more than functional, mass produced fayre. Serves its purpose - and that’s fine for what it is - but it is never an excitement or a meal to look forward to.

Edited by Camberley
  • Like 3

On 12/10/2021 at 6:15 AM, Camberley said:

Impossible to glean anything really from the video - But an interesting carpet and some intriguing knobbly knees.

But I have never found any of the buffets on board P and O ships to much more than functional, mass produced fayre. Serves its purpose - and that’s fine for what it is - but it is never an excitement or a meal to look forward to.

This is true.

I think their speciality restaurants are normally very nice, Sindhu especially, but I don't recall going to a buffet anywhere ever and being completely wowed by it, even at my own wedding when there were substantially few guests compared to the average ship. Buffets are always churning out large amounts of food at pace.

In contrast I don't think I've ever had a bad meal at the MDR. Maybe I have low standards.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, HikingPete said:

This is true.

I think their speciality restaurants are normally very nice, Sindhu especially, but I don't recall going to a buffet anywhere ever and being completely wowed by it, even at my own wedding when there were substantially few guests compared to the average ship. Buffets are always churning out large amounts of food at pace.

In contrast I don't think I've ever had a bad meal at the MDR. Maybe I have low standards.

In that case then, I also must have low standards🙂

Avril

• Like 1

On 12/10/2021 at 12:31 AM, davecttr said:

My experience of Iona's buffet is they were only offering a reduced selection of dishes because of the lower passenger numbers and consequentially less crew numbers. this was back on a staycation cruise

I am on Iona right now. Just about to arrive at Zeebrugge.

This morning the buffet was the standard breakfast stuff I think, just less of it. The room service options are definitely reduced and now have a delivery charge. No hot for available, just cereals, muffins, fruit. No compote.

Sindhu was excellent as always. I'll see about the MDR this evening. I'll try to remember to take a photo of the current Horizon later.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, HikingPete said:

I am on Iona right now. Just about to arrive at Zeebrugge.

This morning the buffet was the standard breakfast stuff I think, just less of it. The room service options are definitely reduced and now have a delivery charge. No hot for available, just cereals, muffins, fruit. No compote.

Sindhu was excellent as always. I'll see about the MDR this evening. I'll try to remember to take a photo of the current Horizon later.

I've recently sailed on Iona. I recommend giving the Olive Grove a try. It is free (apart from a small number of dishes with an extra charge) and I thought it was better than the Beach House.

Have a good cruise!

• Like 1