Port Canceled Due to COVID -- How Much Refund?

RaiderDuck

10 hours ago, syesmar said:

Going to be snarky for a moment and say "this is what happens when you whine, complain, and be ungrateful."

I read some of the comments from the cruisers on the Freedom. Talk about entitlement!

It's kind of sad that Carnival has to remind people about the rules and regulations regarding ports.

Now I know the email also explains refunds, which is awesome.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2021 at 10:49 PM, BlerkOne said:

I read Mardi Gras is actually over 100% (double occupancy) this week.

I'm on the Mardi Gras on the 26th so been following the capacity closely.

It sounds like they are around 100% capacity based on double occupancy, but no where near full capacity (5200 versus 6500).

I also know that many people are cancelling as the cruise was full and now there are a lot of cabins.

Hopefully this means less people on my ship 🙂

5 hours ago, K_e_short said:

I'm on the Mardi Gras on the 26th so been following the capacity closely.

It sounds like they are around 100% capacity based on double occupancy, but no where near full capacity (5200 versus 6500).

I also know that many people are cancelling as the cruise was full and now there are a lot of cabins.

Hopefully this means less people on my ship 🙂

Where do you check the capacity?

When a port is canceled, the only thing that they are required to do is refund the port fees and taxes for that port.  Everything else they have been doing, they actually are not required to do.  I think at some point they are not going to be able to keep paying out compensation they don't have to.  It's not like they are getting positive press from doing what they are, people still complain.  There are insurance policies that cover missed ports, at least for now.

On 12/16/2021 at 12:03 PM, purrlinda said:

Do you know why the cruise was raised to yellow?

The CDC raises a ship's rating to yellow once it exceeds 1/1,000 positive covid cases over the past 7 days.  Considering the infection rate in the state of New York currently exceeds 17/1,000 positive covid cases, the threshold for a cruise ship to be rated yellow is pretty low.  So if there are 5,400 people on a ship, they are classified as orange with 1 to 5 cases onboard.  Once they have 6 cases, they are bumped up to yellow.  Every ship is required to report cases to the CDC on a daily basis.  I'm honestly surprised that there hasn't been any announcement for the CSO to extend beyond January 15th with the massive outbreaks of Omicron.  

• 3 weeks later...

Read the fine print of your cruise contract. I would take the 50 bucks and go buy a nice bottle of wine 

THIS....CCL can and does change itineraries and ships when they need to for whatever reason.  They dont owe you any explanation or comp except possibly port charges.  Nothing you can really do about it since you signed on the dotted line the second you boarded the ship and agreed to the terms.  Have a blast anyway, it is still a cruise after all and not work!

• Like 1