News: Covid-19 tested positive, 20 American families stranded in Tahiti

Mercruiser

According to the article, there are 20 American families stranded in Tahiti due to positive Covid tests and the required 10-day quarantine. I suggest reading this article for anyone going to FP. It will give you a good idea what will happen if you test positive while there. 

I've got a resort trip booked in February. I am watching this situation closely.

Link to news article 

https://www.tntv.pf/tntvnews/polynesie/societe/covid-19-depistes-positifs-de-nombreux-touristes-americains-bloques-a-tahiti/

Keep in mind the article states, "The situation should improve within 5 to 10 days according to the tourism services."

This new variant comes and goes very quickly  .... likely not going to affect things a few months doen the road but for those there now or over the next 3 - 60 days it could be an issue.  

Follow up   ....

The stranded Americans were visiting during a busy time, the holidays. Just something to consider  ...

I'll stay positive and look at the glass as being half full ... things will likely be very different in the near future as the current variant runs it's course   ...

If you watch the actual news report video (in French), the "situation improving in 5 to 10 days" refers to the availability of rental facilities for the 10 day quarantine.

The video is kind of interesting. When they interview the 2nd American at 2:00 minutes and 2:40, he says they haven't eaten in a day because they cannot leave the apartment, he doesn't know the street address so he cannot order food delivery, and the apps (web pages?) are all in French so he cannot sign up.

To be blunt, he sounds completely unprepared for foreign travel that doesn't involve English. I would advise any traveler to make sure they have a smartphone with a foreign data plan, Google Chrome, Google maps, and Google translate preloaded, and know how to use them. I have the advantage of having lived in Europe for two years recently, and got a lot of opportunities to figure out how to translate foreign language web sites, street signs, menus, food labels, etc.. It's very easy if you use Google apps - especially compared to the olden days when we used French-English dictionary books. (Google apps aren't the only ones that do this, but they are what I have used successfully all over Europe.)  

Edited by Mercruiser
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mercruiser said:

If you watch the actual news report video (in French), the "situation improving in 5 to 10 days" refers to the availability of rental facilities for the 10 day quarantine.

The video is kind of interesting. When they interview the 2nd American at 2:00 minutes and 2:40, he says they haven't eaten in a day because they cannot leave the apartment, he doesn't know the street address so he cannot order food delivery, and the apps (web pages?) are all in French so he cannot sign up.

To be blunt, he sounds completely unprepared for foreign travel that doesn't involve English. I would advise any traveler to make sure they have a smartphone with a foreign data plan, Google Chrome, Google maps, and Google translate preloaded, and know how to use them. I have the advantage of having lived in Europe for two years recently, and got a lot of opportunities to figure out how to translate foreign language web sites, street signs, menus, food labels, etc.. It's very easy if you use Google apps - especially compared to the olden days when we used French-English dictionary books. (Google apps aren't the only ones that do this, but they are what I have used successfully all over Europe.)  

Agreed  ... not prepared. I have it all on my cell phone including translate. 

doesn't know the address? Sounds very strange. Call the consulate office and ask for help including the address  ... then order delivered food. So un-prepared ...

3 hours ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

So un-prepared ...

For many people this is a first time wake-up call not only for all the things that can go wrong, but how to cope with some of them. Glad Mercruiser brought forth an issue that's rarely talked about on CC.

But respectfully it's unfair to admonish those who travel without knowledge of how to navigate foreign countries. We know what we know, and don't what we don't. I don't consider anyone as "so unprepared" when they don't know the questions to ask. And there's not a single one of us who hasn't floundered because they were unenlightened in how to manage an unexpected crisis.

My hope here is not to admonish the stranger in the video. He is not likely on Cruise Critic and will never see this.

But I am admonishing my CC friends to be prepared to solve problems on your own when travelling outside English speaking countries. Being prepared for international travel isn't just about buying a travel insurance policy (a staple of CC admonishments.)  It is being equipped to communicate and navigate on your own if you become separated from your English-speaking hosts.

Yes, I've made my share of floundering mistakes while travelling. That's part of why I read CC - to avoid repeating the mistakes that others can warn me about.

My most memorable language mistake was 35 years ago in a small French village restaurant. The waiter did not speak a bit of English and I no French. Even in my 20s, I could read French culinary words well enough to point at the menu and order what my wife and I wanted. The problem came when it was time to ask for the bill. I was expecting the waiter to be like a USA waiter and bring me the bill after dessert. The bill never came. We waited, and waited, and waited. (As I learned later, many European restaurants will not bring the bill until you ask for it.)  Finally, one of our travelling companions, from Quebec, came looking for us because we were going to miss our bus. She asked us why we were still at the restaurant and then said to the waiter, "L'addition, s'il vous plaît."

After that lesson, I have never forget how to ask for the bill in French. 

Edited by Mercruiser

30 minutes ago, Mercruiser said:

My hope here is not to admonish the stranger in the video. He is not likely on Cruise Critic and will never see this.

You misunderstood Mercruiser. I didn't think of you admonishing but offering helpful advice. I didn't like Kahuna remarking "so un-prepared". It sounded like a rebuke but maybe not intended that way.

I thought your advice was terrific.

32 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

You misunderstood Mercruiser. I didn't think of you admonishing but offering helpful advice. I didn't like Kahuna remarking "so un-prepared". It sounded like a rebuke but maybe not intended that way.

I thought your advice was terrific.

Just pointing out the obvious  ....

Mercruiser stated, "To be blunt, he sounds completely unprepared"

I simply stated, "Agreed  ... not prepared"  ... another words in complete agreement  .... 

Traveling to FP right now you should be prepared and in fact your told to be prepared ... for what?  possible quarantine ... thus you should have a game plan so your not "un-prepared" for that possibility. 

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

If I misunderstood I apologize.

If you went to Italy, where I've spent a lot of time, and I said about your missteps, "so un-prepared", you might take it poorly.

We all have a lot to learn, and it's great to have this forum to learn from. In many ways we are all "unprepared" 😉

Again, we all have a lot to learn.

Edited by Petoonya

9 hours ago, Petoonya said:

If I misunderstood I apologize.

If you went to Italy, where I've spent a lot of time, and I said about your missteps, "so un-prepared", you might take it poorly.

We all have a lot to learn, and it's great to have this forum to learn from. In many ways we are all "unprepared" 😉

Again, we all have a lot to learn.

Apology accepted  ...

BTW, I'll be taking a group on a 12 night cruise in 2023 which includes several stops in Italy ... I will be prepared 😉

TBK and Petoonya - Just a shout-out to both of you. I have learned a lot about travelling to FP, PG, and Windstar from both of you. Thanks for your contributions to CC.

Edited by Mercruiser
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here is a mildly interesting interview with Guillaume Epinette, regional director of the Intercontinental group in FP.

https://www.tntv.pf/tntvnews/tntv_news_une/les-etats-unis-en-zone-rouge-un-classement-qui-ne-change-rien-pour-les-touristes/

From the story:

"Despite everything, the regional director of the Intercontinental group recognizes an interest in the destination which prevails in the face of possible quarantine risks. For Manuella, a Canadian tourist who has been coming to Polynesia for 20 years, the choice is clear: “I don't want to live in fear. I want to live my life. It is the most beautiful island. I also want to support the Polynesians. I know how important tourism is for the economy here ” "

Like Manuella from Canada, I will have to decide soon if I'm going to keep my February FP resort trip. I have two nights booked at the IC Tahiti and 7 nights at the Hilton Moorea. It's like spinning the roulette wheel - do my wife or I get to spend an extra 10 days in quarantine at the end of the trip?

Edited by Mercruiser

@Mercruiser

I talked to a friend two days ago who is also planning a land trip to BB and Moorea in February. I let her talk it out, and didn't offer an opinion. At the end of our conversation she was no closer to a decision. She was only letting out frustration.

She called today and said they weren't going- didn't want to risk quarantine. Even though Omicron seems to be on the wane they couldn't bear the anxiety. To me this is one of those times I'd throw a quarter in the air. Pretty cavalier but, my husband would desperately want to go and I'd be on the fence.

With all the information you have, and I know you have your finger on the pulse more than anyone else here, it has to be SOOOOOOO difficult! My heart of heart wishes you are enthusiastically raving about the Hilton Moorea and all the things you did while there. I ache for you and all those trying to make the best decision for themselves.

Petoonya,

Honestly, I'm procrastinating on making a Tahiti vs Hawaii decision. (First world problems!) If I had to decide today, it would be Hawaii, based on the upward trajectory of Covid statistics in France, Tahiti, and USA.

But I don't have to make a decision until 3 days before we leave for Tahiti. Everything is fully refundable  until then (mostly frequent flier miles and hotel points).

My somewhat unrealistic hope is that this surge will peak before we have to make a decision. I'd be a lot more comfortable spinning the "roulette wheel" if the Omicron surge has levelled off. This is mostly because I think France will impose more restrictions otherwise, up to a complete tourism shutdown like last February.

8 hours ago, do it again said:

Could someone tell me how to covert the article to English l would like to read it.

thanks

Here is how to do it with Google Chrome

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/173424

And with Safari

https://support.apple.com/guide/safari/translate-a-webpage-ibrw646b2ca2/mac

This has become a standard feature for most modern web browsers. You will have to upgrade if you are using an old version.

If you travel overseas, be sure to upgrade the browser on your smart phone. This is lifesaver if you need to order food while in quarantine!!!!

Edited by Mercruiser

@Mercruiser

Couldn't be finer than to have it all be refundable! And makes sense to just bide your time.There is someone else we both know who'd stomp his/her feet and threaten readers about cancelling his/her cruise because France might flout more restrictions lol! I admire your watchfulness and waiting to see if Omicron tires itself out. On our recent Maui trip I kept reminding husband of the many years we've spent enjoying it's loveliness, and it hadn't changed since COVID, blah, blah blah...and he'd pout, " but it's not Tahiti" Wish it were just a damn sure thing that you'd be able to go. You've been very patient.

But Hawaii IS just as beautiful as before....more crowded than ever before though. The drought has done it's damage to the hillsides, and pineapple fields now starting to be replaced by citrus.

The Maui crowds make us consider that if Tahiti doesn't happen for us this summer we might try Molokai. Love Kauai too but sounds like the same there- a visitor deluge. Friends did a nice little Molokai condo on a beautiful beach last month as they knew about the crowds in Maui and Kauai. Had great snorkeling, isolated gorgeous beaches, and compared it to Tahiti. Not the Hilton Moorea but looked awfully nice in their photos. It may be similar backup trip to our August cruise.

Watching and holding breath for you!

On 1/5/2022 at 6:43 PM, Mercruiser said:

Petoonya,

Honestly, I'm procrastinating on making a Tahiti vs Hawaii decision. (First world problems!) If I had to decide today, it would be Hawaii, based on the upward trajectory of Covid statistics in France, Tahiti, and USA.

But I don't have to make a decision until 3 days before we leave for Tahiti. Everything is fully refundable  until then (mostly frequent flier miles and hotel points).

My somewhat unrealistic hope is that this surge will peak before we have to make a decision. I'd be a lot more comfortable spinning the "roulette wheel" if the Omicron surge has levelled off. This is mostly because I think France will impose more restrictions otherwise, up to a complete tourism shutdown like last February.

We probably solved our First World problem 🙂
Tahiti this July - WS if they have lower price (don't forget we pay a 35% premium due to our canadian $), or a 3 weeks Tahiti land vacation. Then planning our 2022 Honolulu half-Marathon in Dec. 2022.

Cheers:-)