Wet Wendy's vs Thirsty Cougar

Ellusionz

We want to do something a lil diff than the normal beach clubs we've been to so we plan to hit No Name Bar for the water fun and some drinks. But I want to try some in town stuff too.

Ā 

Between Wet Wendy's and Thirsty Cougar which do you prefer and why? Is food or drink options better at one or the other? Thanks for your tips!

Been a while but both have same owners.Ā  TC is by the ocean with outdoor seating as I recall. A bit more upscaled menu.Ā  Wet Wendy's is on the plaza with some outside seating and more of a taco bar type menu. But huge margaritas.Ā  So if that's what you want and you are downtown around the plaza, you can stop at either one .

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ellusionz said:

We want to do something a lil diff than the normal beach clubs we've been to so we plan to hit No Name Bar for the water fun and some drinks. But I want to try some in town stuff too.

Ā 

Between Wet Wendy's and Thirsty Cougar which do you prefer and why? Is food or drink options better at one or the other? Thanks for your tips!

When you say ā€œwater funā€ at No Name do you mean pool, or snorkeling? Are you looking for somewhere lively or quiet places?

Ā 

We used to be big fans of No Name but we after our last two Ā visits (we gave them a second chance), we have decided it is probably not the place for us anymore.

Ā 

Canā€™t help with Wet Wendyā€™s or Thirsty Cougar, we havenā€™t been to either.Ā 

Edited by c-leg5

4 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

When you say ā€œwater funā€ at No Name do you mean pool, or snorkeling? Are you looking for somewhere lively or quiet places?

Ā 

We used to be big fans of No Name but we after our last two Ā visits (we gave them a second chance), we have decided it is probably not the place for us anymore.

Ā 

Canā€™t help with Wet Wendyā€™s or Thirsty Cougar, we havenā€™t been to either.Ā 

Just the pool, maybe a lil beachy if its usable I couldn't tell by the pictures. My friends love swim up bars

Edited by Ellusionz

20 hours ago, Ellusionz said:

Just the pool, maybe a lil beachy if its usable I couldn't tell by the pictures. My friends love swim up bars

The ā€œsandā€ is a man-made beach area for the loungers. Access to ocean via steps, rocky for snorkeling.

Ā 

We have been going to No Name for many years and used to enjoy a few hours Ā there - music and service were very good. Not sure if we are showing our age (quite possible!) but the last two visits my husband has said ā€œdo they call this music?ā€! Both times we have had a couple of beers and left.

Ā 

No Name, has always been a predominately ā€œcrewā€ discount location, which we have had no objection to, but our last visit it seemed that service to general customers had definitely declined. It was very busy and it was very difficult to get served. Since ā€œregularā€ prices are definitely tourist prices we have plenty of other options.
Ā 

Sounds like you are younger and hope you enjoy! Let us know how it goes.Ā 

5 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

The ā€œsandā€ is a man-made beach area for the loungers. Access to ocean via steps, rocky for snorkeling.

Ā 

We have been going to No Name for many years and used to enjoy a few hours Ā there - music and service were very good. Not sure if we are showing our age (quite possible!) but the last two visits my husband has said ā€œdo they call this music?ā€! Both times we have had a couple of beers and left.

Ā 

No Name, has always been a predominately ā€œcrewā€ discount location, which we have had no objection to, but our last visit it seemed that service to general customers had definitely declined. It was very busy and it was very difficult to get served. Since ā€œregularā€ prices are definitely tourist prices we have plenty of other options.
Ā 

Sounds like you are younger and hope you enjoy! Let us know how it goes.Ā 

Thanks for the info! Also saw info about a place called Buccanos we may try instead. So many choices LOL

21 hours ago, Ellusionz said:

Thanks for the info! Also saw info about a place called Buccanos we may try instead. So many choices LOL

Buccanos is good and will have more activities available. It has a small beach but still fairly rocky. Food and drinks are good. @mitsugirlyĀ has a recent intensive photo review but she was also on a land trip. Taxi from Carnival pier will probably be $16-20.

Ā 

just a word of warning - not trying to be negative, just FYI - they will charge a $20pp (?) admission to cruisers which will include snorkel equipment, whether you need it or not. Land visitors only pay $10 which is credited to your food and drinks - this policy annoys us, so we have not been from the ship in a long time. Not sure if they are still doing this post Covid stoppage.Ā 
Ā 

We decided to go to Playa Azul (next door) Ā last month which charges $7/8 entrance now, (used to be free) but it is credited back to food and drink. Ā WE enjoyed it but it is much smaller and quieter than Buccanos and I am not sure it is what you are looking for.Ā 

Yup saw the review and that info but thanks for the advice. We've done Mr. Sanchos, Money Bar and Nachi Cocom. Just trying to make sure we try something different that has good food and a good selection of mixed drinks.

15 hours ago, Ellusionz said:

Yup saw the review and that info but thanks for the advice. We've done Mr. Sanchos, Money Bar and Nachi Cocom. Just trying to make sure we try something different that has good food and a good selection of mixed drinks.

A few other places to Google:

less expensive pass to El Cid, Del Mar Latino (AI current promotion $29pp), Paradise Beach. Palancar, Punta Morena, Punta Sur Beach Club, La Monina, Hemingwayā€™s. They all have pros and cons - budget, pool/no pool, transport difficulties and just depends on your group and what you are looking for.

Ā 

In retrospect, I feel somewhat guilty making you second guess No Name Bar! It was busy and it was popular - it just wasnā€™t for us! Worse case scenario give it a try and if it isnā€™t for you carry on into town Ā to Thirsty Cougar or Wet Wendyā€™s - lots of new places on Melgar opened in the last couple of years.
Ā 

Ā 

Nah don't feel bad, I'm the planner of the group and once I nag my friends into pre booking I get a kick out of just researching reviews, photos, menus and other options. Since we got about 5 months to go (and who knows what changes will be made by that time so even more researching goodyness...even researching the possible change options so I'm pre prepared for those routes!).Ā 

Ā 

A few places didn't have enough shade (need it as a redhead) from the photos so I knocked those off. I Del Mar Latino as an option I'll be posting to my friends along with other places. Hemingway was on the list cause it def looked pretty and thought it might have some good food, but there was quite a few reviews that seemed legit and far apart from each other knocking the quality and taste.

Ā 

My friends just like to ride whatever decision I make LOL. I of course take their desires into consideration (I love to try new things such as food and drinks) and they want to relax by the water with drinks (I personally hate the saltyness of the beach). So I just make sure to put a mix in of everything so we're allĀ  happy.

Edited by Ellusionz
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...